logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline legacy36  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:55:16 PM(UTC)
legacy36

Groups: Registered

"hey im new to this whole distilling process, i have a 15.5 gallon keg and purchased a essential extractor ps11 column, i need a basic moonshine recipe to make around 12 gallons of mash, i have sugar, cracked corn, but i am also confused as to which yeast i should use, i have instant dry yeast i just picked up at the store but im not sure if that will work. i see you can make mash out of just sugar, yeast, and water but not sure if that would taste good. So i am basically looking for a step by step on how to make 12 gallons of mash using cracked corn, sugar, water, and whatever yeast would work best.

THANKS!"
Offline okie  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:05:31 AM(UTC)
okie

I'm a newbee also but I have been reading for many years on how to distill. Before that I was a wine maker and that gave me tons of experience with the fermenting process. I had experience with sanitation, brewing techniques, yeast, racking, etc. For me going to the next step to distillation was another step all be a huge step.

You didn't mention any experience or knowledge you already have so my suggestion is to read, read, read. There are a few great forums and they have all the knowledge you'll need. Just one observation from me, your still is a reflux design. Those are for clear spirits like vodka, rum, gin. You would want to run a whiskey wash in a pot still. Can you adapt it to run as a pot still?
Offline legacy36  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:33:44 AM(UTC)
legacy36

i honesly have next to zero knowledge on how this stuff works, i understand the basics i just need to figure out how the fermintaion process works along with what kind of yeast and everything else to use to make 12 gallons of mash, ive been told my keg and essential extractor psii will work to run whiskey no problem.. NEED MASH RECIPE any basic mash recipe will work with me! thanks guys
Offline okie  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 7:14:24 AM(UTC)
okie

Do a search. There is a search button in the upper right corner, use it.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 8:44:32 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hey Okie,

Originally Posted by: okie Go to Quoted Post
Before that I was a wine maker

Did you ever try your hand at making sake? Or did you stick with the grapes?

--JB"
Offline okie  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:35:17 AM(UTC)
okie

I stuck with the grapes. Never tried rice. Once I bought out the entire wholesale produce market of concord grapes and made 18% plus wine. It was the smoothest mad dog you ever drank and I had over 150 gallons of it. Lots of drunks with that stuff. Wink
Offline John Barleycorn  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:08:06 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"
Quote:
I had over 150 gallons of it. Lots of drunks with that stuff. Wink

That must have been a helluva lot of grapes!BigGrin

I've been getting an itch to try my hand at making some brandy lately. But I still have a lot more to do on my current projects so it'll have to wait. I might ask you for some help/guidance when I get around to it if you don't mind.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline okie  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:36:33 PM(UTC)
okie

It filled a Lincoln up. The trunk and the entire inside of the car except for where I sat and enough room to see the right hand door mirror. The hard part was squeezing all of them. Wouldn't do that again. Way too much work.
Offline AAIndigo  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 10:54:44 PM(UTC)
AAIndigo

"
Originally Posted by: legacy36 Go to Quoted Post
i honesly have next to zero knowledge on how this stuff works, i understand the basics i just need to figure out how the fermintaion process works along with what kind of yeast and everything else to use to make 12 gallons of mash, ive been told my keg and essential extractor psii will work to run whiskey no problem.. NEED MASH RECIPE any basic mash recipe will work with me! thanks guys

I just finished my first run. I ran, and will run a few more times, a simple Sugar wash. Search that and you should find about 100 diferent variations of this recipe. Very simple, Sugar, water, Tomato paste, Yeast culture, pinch of Epson. The amounts vary with the batch size. Your running a larger batch then most so look around/ask. I went with the Brewhause 48hr Turbo Yeast. Man this stuff cleaned it up. I also bought some EC-1118 for my next runs, Just google that and you will gets some hits or call your local brew shop..

Great first run. Turbo Yeast took off and settled down after 2/3 days. I took it of the yeast cake on day 5-6? and transfered to a secondary to clear for about a week. It didnt clear all that much, still a bit murky.

I ran it through my reflux yesterday and I got about 2 1/2 qts of 175 proof Hooch. Its breathing now

Keep it simple at first and then start messing with recipes. 12 gallon wash will take 8 to 12 hours to run.

Good Luck

AA"
Offline okie  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 1:40:10 AM(UTC)
okie

I'm assuming you have done a cleaning run first. When I build my new pot still I'll run a gallon of white vinegar and distilled water first, then run a bottle of cheap wine and water second and toss that. I might do a sugar shine too and use that for windex. Then I know the stuff is fit for human consumption.

We need to keep it safe.
Offline legacy36  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 4:05:30 PM(UTC)
legacy36

hah of course i have cleaned it and checked for leaks! all is well and i thank you guys for the help, also how important is the temp while cooking the wash? i would assume above 173 and under 212..?
Offline muadib2001  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:15:44 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

also how important is the temp while cooking the wash? i would assume above 173 and under 212..?
This only applies to potstills. The mixture of alcohol and "water" in the wash will prevent the temperature from rising too fast while heating (unless you're using a ungodly amount of heat source). When you hit about 174 degrees, I would say cut back and bring the temperature up slowly. Once you start getting drips, adjust the heat to where you get about 4-6 drips per second (any faster and you're smearing). As you remove alcohol from the boiler, the temperature will rise. Once you have reached about 202 degrees, you should be somewhere into tails. My personal preference is to shut it down at that point. I choose not to distill anything beyond that point (the returns are not worth the energy). Just my two cents.
Offline legacy36  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 4:24:44 PM(UTC)
legacy36

i just bought some turbo yeast pure 48, i still would like to get a basic mash recipe to use with this and how long to let it ferment, im not sure if i would want to use cracked corn or just the basic sugar wash. i just need a plain jane wash to make my first ever run thats nice and easy, i want to make 12 gallons of mash. pleaseee help, thanks
Offline AAIndigo  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 10:51:37 PM(UTC)
AAIndigo

"
i just bought some turbo yeast pure 48, i still would like to get a basic mash recipe to use with this and how long to let it ferment, im not sure if i would want to use cracked corn or just the basic sugar wash. i just need a plain jane wash to make my first ever run thats nice and easy, i want to make 12 gallons of mash. pleaseee help, thanks

Do a search on Simple Sugar wash recipe and will find a few. There are others like sweet feed wash. It all depends on what your looking for.

I have done 2 batches of the sugar wash with the Turbo 48. This stuff cleaned up like promised in 48 hours. I waited 4 days on my second batch and the final FG .999 this was on a 6 gallon batch. I transfered to a secondary for 2 days then burned her off. You may be pushing 1 packet with 12 gallons. I believe the packet says 8 gallons?

I have a slight off taste on my product. I'm guessing its from the yeast. My next batch will be done with the E1118? wine yeast. I want to see if the low and slow approach changes the taste.

Good luck"
Offline heeler  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:55:30 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"

Since you've got the Turbo 48 thats gonna be as basic as you'll ever get. In the future get yourself a jug of BH nutrients/enzyme combo and add that to your wash, not that everone needs it but if your doing just sugar it will surely help and that will build your confidence. And you will find that other yeasts than a turbo will work too and are cheaper.
You asked about 12 gallons, your gonna need 2 packs of that turbo so if its not too late just do a 5 gallon wash this time. There are several recipes in the forum so look for em before you start,-------remember------ there really is no such thing as a very basic wash. There is so much going on inside your fermenter that you need to control for a quality hooch and most times a shortcut will only dissapoint YOU in the end."
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:36:37 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Please dont use turbo yeasts, they make the most ungodly awful crap on the planet.
Crap that you make with turbo takes like poison for the love of god.

Sugar washes although not what I like, do just fine on champagne 1118.
make sure your PH is good. I use two tablespoons of Gypsum per 5 gallons and all is good.

Dont overload on sugar either.. to high of a apv makes nasty ass spirits.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:56:42 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"
Originally Posted by: xnerd Go to Quoted Post
I use two tablespoons of Gypsum per 5 gallons and all is good.

That's a helluva lot of gypsum for 5 gallons! Do you measure your pH after that addition? Your water must be awfully hard."
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:38:09 AM(UTC)

I use between 4th and 6 generation backset and 40% and cooked corn mash.
Very Very acidic.

yeah I measure it before and after.,
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:44:48 AM(UTC)

Oh correction that should have read I use 2 tablespoons gypsum per 10 gallons as I only ever cook 10-12 gallons at a time.
I have never even cooked a mash smaller then that.

And to clear the confusion, if I dont ferment on the gain I have been using the grain bed in simple corn wash's using backset as well.
whole lot of acidity going on there.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:09:34 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Now you're confusing me. If you're using that much backset, and it's already very acidic, why do you need to make it more acidic with the gypsum? What pH are you shooting for?