logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline makeet  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 4:23:39 PM(UTC)
makeet

Groups: Registered

I was trying out my new induction burner for the second time tonight. I had it cranked up too high and was messing around not paying attention, when I finally looked at the temp, it was boiling like crazy and the temp at the top of the column was 180 or higher, I had not started cooling water to the tower and it had shot out about 200mL's already at a very high flow. I turned down the burner that was set on 380 and turned on the water, got it all cooled down and running like it should, but that first jar smelled bad, almost burnt, so I filled two more, at a very low flow rate,,,same burnt smell. Turned it all off and opened the pot, it was dark, had some sediment stuck to the bottom. Can you burn sugar wash? Did I ruin it that fast?
Offline Bushy  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 6:25:42 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Hey makeet it sounds like you may have done just that. I'm glad you weren't useing propane.
You may want to make a habit of paying attention to your still when it's running.
I'm glad the only thing bad to happen was some burn flavored product. You may be able to save it with charcoal filtering, if not use it for BBQ lighter fluid of parts cleaner. I think the flavor will stay in it even if you were to run it again but it might be worth a try.
Offline halfbaked  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:19:22 PM(UTC)
halfbaked

Maybe a stupid question butits an honest question here it is...... If you put it back in the pot and rerun it will it still have the same smell and taste? Same idea dif note..... if your still pukes and you rerun it will it still have that look and taste?
Offline Bushy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:34:12 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi halfbaked, you can try and run it again in both cases. As for the burnt flavor a rerun may not help, charcoal filtering would probably do a better job on that. For the puked in batch a rerun should clean it up.

I suggest you turn your tower water on full when you start heating up your boiler. The boiler should be turned down to a simmer once it starts to boil. Then you can back off the water to about a quarter on or until you start to get some product. Changing the water flow takes a minute or so to take affect on the temp and product flow so adjust and wait a little before adjusting again to get it just where you want it.

For the puking problem, a boiler should not be filled more than 3/4 full to give it some headroom when boiling. Also running your burner too high, (running to hard/fast), can also make it puke.

Hope this helps.