logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
finger lakes highlander  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:05:25 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I've been making wine for almost twenty years now and thought it would be fun to add to the hobby by trying something new. I'm looking forward to receiving my equipment form Brewhaus (hopefully, within the next week) and getting started. I've enjoyed reading many posts on this forum and am looking forward to sharing and getting advice from you all. :) Highlander.
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:54:59 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

welcome-- i rode my beemer through the finger lakes 40 years ago-- beautifull scenery :)
finger lakes highlander  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:33:49 AM(UTC)

Thanks, Scotty! Most folks think of New York City when we say we're from New York, but the Finger Lakes region is gorgeous. We love it here. There are even a couple of distilleries that give tours and tastings among the wineries now.
finger lakes highlander  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:51:54 AM(UTC)

My Brewhaus PSII / Premium Kettle arrived this afternoon and I did the test run with water to check for leaks - successful in all aspects. Now on to the vinegar run tonight and then into the "fun" tomorrow. Thanks to Rick and Brewhaus for the quality product!!!
Offline NorthernShiner  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:11:30 PM(UTC)
NorthernShiner

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: finger lakes highlander Go to Quoted Post
My Brewhaus PSII / Premium Kettle arrived this afternoon and I did the test run with water to check for leaks - successful in all aspects. Now on to the vinegar run tonight and then into the "fun" tomorrow. Thanks to Rick and Brewhaus for the quality product!!!

Welcome and congrats on the new equipment. What size kettle did you get and what heat source are you using?
Offline scotty  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:23:54 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

one of the things that i compared to wine making was that a cleared and fermented liquid was just like a wine and i could store it for a very long time before distilling-- i treated it with sorbate and sulfite in the normal manner
Offline John Barleycorn  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:25:24 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"
Quote:
and then into the ""fun"" tomorrow.

What's on the menu??"
finger lakes highlander  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:43:03 PM(UTC)

I got the 8 gallon kettle and am using a Waring Pro hot plate. I ordered an MLCS RSC for it and it should be here Saturday. The hot plate worked well heating up the water for the cleaning, but I want something I can have some semblance of control over when I do a real run.
finger lakes highlander  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:44:57 PM(UTC)

I have a "sweet feed" wash ready to go when I'm ready - I did the sorbate and sulfite, so it's keeping well in the cool of the garage. It has dropped the last of the yeast residue and looks very clear.
finger lakes highlander  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:48:12 PM(UTC)

Menu first is sweet feed whiskey - running the PSII as a pot still, I'll be taking it slow and easy using my nose and looking for the changes. I also have a UJSM working and that should be ready to go in a few more days. Both recipes from the "Tried and True" . I plan on sticking with what has been proven to give good results so I can have the best chances for success.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:47:46 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: finger lakes highlander Go to Quoted Post
Menu first is sweet feed whiskey <<SNIP>> I also have a UJSM working and that should be ready to go in a few more days.

Sounds like you've been busy! I thought you were going to say brandy given your winemaking experience ... I guess it was time to give the grapes a few weeks off? BigGrin

Good luck on your run tomorrow ... let us know how you make out."
Offline chooch  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:04:05 PM(UTC)
chooch

Welcome aboard and I'm jealous...still patiently awaiting the arrival of mine..LOL. ..but I did order some mods with it so I gotta keep sittin' on these hands. Yep please keep us posted. Sweet feed should be a good first run.
finger lakes highlander  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:06:22 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like you've been busy! I thought you were going to say brandy given your winemaking experience ... I guess it was time to give the grapes a few weeks off? BigGrin

Good luck on your run tomorrow ... let us know how you make out.

Thanks, John. I have 35 gallons of wine that I have to rack and move into the garage as the temperatures will be below freezing - get the wine to "fall bright" and thenb bottling sometime in hte near future. I guess you are right - enough wine!
finger lakes highlander  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:07:36 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: chooch Go to Quoted Post
Welcome aboard and I'm jealous...still patiently awaiting the arrival of mine..LOL. ..but I did order some mods with it so I gotta keep sittin' on these hands. Yep please keep us posted. Sweet feed should be a good first run.

It's worth the wait Chooch - I thought mine would never arrive, but all is well now. I'll let you know how it goes for sure!
Highlander :)
Offline captinjack  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:21:04 PM(UTC)
captinjack

Welcome and congratulations on your new still. and yes keep us posted on the sweet feed run... I'll be ordering my still ( PSII HC and 15g kettle ) next week... I got a bunch of winery's here by me also, never made any my self but I wouldn't mine trying later down the road to use for brandy...
Good Luck Captinjack

Offline Maddawgs  
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:14:22 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Hey welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig. A lot of great people on this forum.
Maddawgs
finger lakes highlander  
#17 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 12:24:16 PM(UTC)

"I decided to hold off my first run until after the RSC arrived and I could make the changes to the hotplate so it can work off the RSC. It arrived today (Saturday) and I converted the wiring, but do not have the time to do my first run until Tuesday. I will report in then and hopefully can get some pointers. Thaks to everyone for the help/support so far!
Highlander"