logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tracyman0111  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 5:17:41 PM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Groups: Registered

Ive been tossing around the idea with a friend of using the tiny little bottles of flavoring oil used in making hard candy, to flavor my pure ethanol 'shine. There are MANY different flavors of this stuff, readily available at any good grocery. Anyone have any thoughts on this, or have done it before?
Offline caros527486  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 2:27:49 PM(UTC)
caros527486

"
Originally Posted by: Tracyman0111 Go to Quoted Post
Ive been tossing around the idea with a friend of using the tiny little bottles of flavoring oil used in making hard candy, to flavor my pure ethanol 'shine. There are MANY different flavors of this stuff, readily available at any good grocery. Anyone have any thoughts on this, or have done it before?

I've personally just used hard candy with awsome results. After about two weeks or so the candy will be totaly dissolved in the alchohol. My last run was sweetfeed I filtered it and added about ten peppermint candies to an eigth gallon and it tastes like Anise if you've ever tried it."
Offline Shauzzau  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:09:45 AM(UTC)
Shauzzau

"I can tell you right off dont waste your money with the little bottles.
If you want candy flavors try jolly ranchers or brach's hard candies just add until you get the strength of flavor to your liking.
I have done all the jolly rancher flavors and most brach's flavors except for mints
you may also look in the coffee/tea flavors out there I found a raspberry I will try soon."
Offline 24racefan  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 4:19:54 PM(UTC)
24racefan

I like Shauzzau would say don't waste your money. I too have did well using jolly ranchers. I don't care much for the apple or grape but others are great and I have had good luck with skittles also. When using skittles just the candy outside will melt off and you will have to dump the centers. If you start with small jars you can make small batch and see if it is to your taste. If you like it go for a larger batch. Watch your cooker and your backside,stay safe. Have fun.
Offline Tracyman0111  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 2:49:50 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Hey guys. I've done 6 or 7 runs since your last post, and have had only so-so luck with just hard candy. I will say that Jolly Ranchers give an excellent color, but I've sectioned off into pint jars or smaller and tried all the different flavors, and not had very much flavor carry-over. I know a fella above spoke against the flavoring oils, but I've found that when used in conjuction with some hard candy, they have worked very well for me. A recent run I did, I had a few lbs of frozen blueberries that I soaked into a few quarts of 150-160 proof, and added a few drops each of blueberry and cheesecake candy flavoring oils. WOW did they turn out good, and so smooth!! Just goes to show everyones experience is different to some extent.