logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline scotty  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:08:47 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"UserPostedImage

I finally had a bracket made and its hanging in the living room. It will be adorned with a hanging basket of flowers to cover it. Ill get a couple of pulleys and a hook soon. I will take a couple of pics when i have the stainless rig in place."
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 4:27:21 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"UserPostedImage

the bracket needs some more screws at the top."
Offline dasorge  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 01, 2013 5:22:31 AM(UTC)
dasorge

Groups: Registered

Scotty -- It looks like your column is made with SS and then I assume you filled with carbon. I read an article in which one could use a 3 foot piece of 1 1/2inch of pvc pipe with a cap on one end and the pipe is filled to about 4 inches from the top. A piece of window screen is placed inside the cap to help hold the activated carbon in the tube. The cap has a small hole drilled in the center to allow for discharge. The pipe is held at an angle using a c-clamp. The product is poured into the tube. First, I didn't think you could use pvc pipe at anytime as the plastic in the piping would mess up the taste and one could get some other chemicles into the product. Second, doesn't the product need to sit in with the activated carbon for a couple of days (or so) to 'purify' the product? I was thinking of using a piece of copper pipe instead of the pvc. It's hard to get a piece of SS piping that size around here.
Offline Maddawgs  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 01, 2013 7:13:30 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: dasorge Go to Quoted Post
Scotty -- It looks like your column is made with SS and then I assume you filled with carbon. I read an article in which one could use a 3 foot piece of 1 1/2inch of pvc pipe with a cap on one end and the pipe is filled to about 4 inches from the top. A piece of window screen is placed inside the cap to help hold the activated carbon in the tube. The cap has a small hole drilled in the center to allow for discharge. The pipe is held at an angle using a c-clamp. The product is poured into the tube. First, I didn't think you could use pvc pipe at anytime as the plastic in the piping would mess up the taste and one could get some other chemicles into the product. Second, doesn't the product need to sit in with the activated carbon for a couple of days (or so) to 'purify' the product? I was thinking of using a piece of copper pipe instead of the pvc. It's hard to get a piece of SS piping that size around here.

Hi dasorge,
I would caution against using that set up for two reasons. It is not safe to use PVC as the alcohol will leach the chemicals out of it and the second is the material the screen is made out of (a PVC, plastic, nylon, or aluminum mesh). Again because of a reaction with the alcohol. Brewhaus does make a basic filter system for around 30 buck that is made with alcohol tolerant materials. It is what I use, not the best and a pain to put together but it does work.
Maddawgs
Offline dasorge  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 02, 2013 4:40:26 AM(UTC)
dasorge

That was my worry about the alcohol messing up the plastic in the pvc as well. Glad to know I have my thinking cap on right!