logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline makeet  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 2:58:43 PM(UTC)
makeet

Groups: Registered

I started a sugar wash back on Jan 1st! IT's STILL GOING!!! I have it indoors, it was 12 or 14 lbs of sugar (don't exactly remember), and using the 48hr turbo from this site. I had run this previously and used the whole bag of yeast and it was done in about 4-5 days. This time I only used half the bag, it's STILL going, going strong, 14 days later. It's never stalled, been indoors around 68-70 degrees the whole time. Has anybody experienced this? It's bubbling every few seconds from the air lock. Today was the first day it's started to slow down. I might be able to skip the still on this one, fermenting that hard for that long, it might come out at 100 straight out of the fermenter. Cool
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:35:00 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I started a wash on Jan 2, same conditions but less sugar and I don't use turbos ... it's still going ... but I consider 2 - 3 weeks in the primary as normal. Fermenting cool and slow is the way to go ... unless you're in a hurry to make fuel.
Offline makeet  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:02:42 AM(UTC)
makeet

It's still going tonight. My first two sugar runs with turbo were a little harsh, but I haven't gotten control over the psII yet, I figured it was because of that. I keep running too hot. I just got the diffuser plate and I'm going to try that once this run is fermented. I might try no turbo next time once I get the psII runs more consistant, and see if that makes a difference.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:18:29 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"makeet,

I've never used a turbo so I can't speak from experience aboiut any differences in aroma and flavor. However, everything I've read (and I mean everything) ends up saying the same three things: don't ferment too hot, don't use too much sugar and give it time to finish. Excess temperature and osmotic pressure enhances the production of fusel alchohols and various esters. Along with the osmotic stress caused by lots of sugar, the higher alcohol content that is ultimately produced will also stress the yeast. Plus, if you have healthy, happy yeast near the end of a fermentation, and they have some conditioning time, they'll take up certain by-products that can lead to aromas/flavors you don't want.

Most of the turbo yeast I've looked at highlight two things: speed and high alcohol tolerance. Those aren't features I'm looking for -- I'm not in a hurry and I don't need to maximize my wash abv. If you decide to try something other than a turbo, let me know how it compares. I'd be very interested in hearing what you think.

--JB"
Offline boxholland  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:24:18 AM(UTC)
boxholland

I haven't really had any issues with slow fermentation. Mine generally slows within 5 days and I'm in a cool climate. Using Fleishmans and another store bought wheat specific yeast.

I took this excerpt from the corn whikey book. There is a lot more information in following paragraphs, but it seems you don't want to go 2 weeks due to the accumulation of esters.

This time frame would be considering you are fermenting in the optimum range of 60-66 degrees fahrenheit.

"A mash intended for distillation only undergoes a primary fermentation. Grain mash
fermentations are typically 72-80 hours long, and then they are distilled. In fact, a secondary
fermentation would be very deleterious to the ester profile of the mash and would ruin the
finished whiskey."
Offline John Barleycorn  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:44:36 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"Hi boxholland,

Quote:
A mash intended for distillation only undergoes a primary fermentation. Grain mash fermentations are typically 72-80 hours long, and then they are distilled. In fact, a secondary fermentation would be very deleterious to the ester profile of the mash and would ruin the finished whiskey.

Yep ... I read that as well. He also goes on to say:

Quote:
When the fermentable sugars have been exhausted, the yeast metabolism changes and begins breaking down unfermentable sugars and other organic compounds and consumes them. This involves the secretion of very different enzymes such as permease that enable the consumption of unfermentable sugars (dextrins and polysaccharides). This altered chemistry results in the formation of a family of esters, which have come to be called the "dreaded esters" by the author. The dreaded esters have very nearly the same boiling point as the alcohol/water azeotrope (i.e. 78.15oC (172.67oF)), and are almost impossible to separate out by distillation. Therefore, they pervade into the finished whiskey and ruin its flavour.

Now I know some of the bourbon guys want to get their wash in their stills within several days ... that's fine. But I have found things in Smiley's book that are questionable, so I take them with a serious grain of salt. The quoute I added is one of them, which is one of the following paragraphs that you refer to.

First, he states that the yeast ferment (""break down"") unfermentable sugars. Enough said there.

Second, he mentions consumption of (again ""unfermentable"") polysaccharides. The best I can figure is that he's confusing this with the release of polysaccharides (the mannoproteins) during maturation ... I believe the wine guys know all about these. The only polysaccharide that I'm aware of that is transported into the cell is maltose (a disaccharide).

Then there is the self-coined phrase ""dreaded esters"" which appears only a few times his book and nowhere else (other than a few forum posts). Since these never identified esters have ""nearly the same boiling point as the alcohol/water azeotrope"" I assumed he must be referring to ethyl acetate (via acetic acid) ... which is usually associated with hyperosmotic stress (high gravity), not fermentations that go beyond 80 hours. Honestly, in all of the studies I've read, I've have yet to come across one that concludes that shorter fermentation times will reduce the amount of acetic acid produced by a yeast.

Finally, the permease thing has me a bit confused as I thought it was an amino acid transport and remained in the cell ... not secreted into the substrate. But that's the extent of what I've read. Also, the ""secretion"" thing is confusing as even invertase remains within the cell wall and the rest I thought were all intracellular. Again, I'm out of my comfort zone here ... so if someone knows this stuff I'd love to learn more.

In any case, it was never clear to me if Smiley was just sampling his wares when he wrote those few paragraphs or if I'm just missing something.BigGrin I've tried to find scientific evidence (rather that anecdotal statements) for his assertions but I'm still searching.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline boxholland  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:03:53 PM(UTC)
boxholland

Quote:
In any case, it was never clear to me if Smiley was just sampling his wares when he wrote those few paragraphs or if I'm just missing something. I've tried to find scientific evidence (rather that anecdotal statements) for his assertions but I'm still searching.

Probably. OhMyGod

I'm just gettin into this hobby/infatuation but I'm pretty obsessive compulsive about producing the best product I can. That and the fact that I can't sleep more than a few hours a night I generally get through the learning curve on anything I tackle pretty rapidly.
Offline makeet  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 2:26:33 PM(UTC)
makeet

Fermentation finally slowed a lot. Has not cleared, still carbonated. I'm gonna run it anyway. Been in the fermenter since t.he first! I got a induction burner I'm dying to try
Offline boxholland  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:33:32 PM(UTC)
boxholland

"I wouldn't worry about it too much. I ran the best tasting UJSM batch so far on a 4 day ferment and a 2hr clear after racking.

According to the hydrometer the increase in alcohol was like maybe 2% waiting an extra 4 days for it to stop and settle.

So why a longer ferment other than an increase in alcohol? Neutral runs vs moonshine or whisky?

Seems like this batch tasted better before and after the distillation than anything I let finish.
Got more product as well but I'm attributing the flavor to the backset and feints added."
Offline Maddawgs  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 12:08:57 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: makeet Go to Quoted Post
Fermentation finally slowed a lot. Has not cleared, still carbonated. I'm gonna run it anyway. Been in the fermenter since t.he first! I got a induction burner I'm dying to try

Hi makeet,
Don't worry about it. I started mine on the 1st also. Finished fermenting the other day to an sg of .990 and it is not even close to clear yet. Some things just take time.
Maddawgs
Offline heeler  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 7:53:02 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: boxholland Go to Quoted Post
I haven't really had any issues with slow fermentation. Mine generally slows within 5 days and I'm in a cool climate. Using Fleishmans and another store bought wheat specific yeast.

I took this excerpt from the corn whikey book. There is a lot more information in following paragraphs, but it seems you don't want to go 2 weeks due to the accumulation of esters.

This time frame would be considering you are fermenting in the optimum range of 60-66 degrees fahrenheit.

""A mash intended for distillation only undergoes a primary fermentation. Grain mash
fermentations are typically 72-80 hours long, and then they are distilled. In fact, a secondary
fermentation would be very deleterious to the ester profile of the mash and would ruin the
finished whiskey.""

Just another opinion....I think we really must compare apples to apples, by that I mean do we really know what yeast-water-nutrients-vitamins-wash, well you get my point, that Ian was useing when he made such a broad staement??? I'm not saying anybody is wrong but we cant compare his to ours if they are different or othwise dissimalar. I've had yeasts that took 2 weeks and some that took 4 days and thats useing a hydrometer for finding the FG. Just something to ponder. In HIS example I'm sure he is right."