logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline scotty  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 11:08:18 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"I always used Welches frozen 100% concord grape juice because it had no yeast killers in it. They use vitamin c and sorbic acid as preservatives. Sounds like the same thing to me.

We started yesterday.
My formula is to use 3 cans per gallon to give it extra body. I stopped using Welches when it went to over $3 per can. We found a couple of super market brands with the same ingredients. I have a 7+ gallon batch working now. We took an SG reading and determined we needed a bit over 7 pounds of sugar to get a 14% potential alcohol. I started a starter bottle with Lalvin EC1118.
We treated it with pectic enzyme then added the sugar. I splashed the water onto the side of the fermenter as i filled the bucket with the sink hose so the yeast would have the needed oxygen to populate the juice before going into the anerobic stage. I checked the temperature--it was 70F. We treated the juice with yeast nutrient, energizer and hulls then pitched.
Its fizzling nicely. wednesdan ill transfer to the 7.5 gallon carboy under air lock.

I never leave the settled yeast behind on the initial transfer. After the ferment is finished, i'll siphon off from the lees then add a clarifyer and siphon off again. ill degass, stabilize and back sweeten some at that point. making a nice label and bottling will follow.

Peach wine from fruit and

sangeovese red from a kit on the apron."
Offline ratflinger  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:58:56 PM(UTC)
ratflinger

Groups: Registered

I skip that whole inital racking altogether. I always ferment to dry & it seems to work out just fine. So 1st rack is where I kill the yeast & clarify, 2nd rack is a degas stage, & 3rd rack is into Better Bottles for 3 mo of bulk aging before bottling. I have bottled straight out of the degas stage & see no difference except for a little more cloudiness.
Offline phineascoates  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2013 6:58:07 PM(UTC)
phineascoates

Groups: Registered

It is not problem if you are going to leave the yeast after the process of fermentation because as far as I know, yeast is one of the ingredient and it helps to produce and added more. However, most yeasts are reproduce by mitosis and some of them are called simple process due to budding.
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:07:10 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I was always under the impression that sacromyces cerevesie produced MOSTLY by budding and occasionally by mitosis. I don't remember where I read that however.