logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Friday, June 06, 2003 6:17:45 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Most folks that brew ale maintain & re-use their favorite yeasts--they are also relatively expensive yeasts ,compared to turbos,. Does anyone bother to do this with turbos? Is it even possible, given their apparent agressiveness?
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 07, 2003 2:19:04 AM(UTC)

The big difference here is that Turbo's are not just a sachet of yeast. The larger portion of the turbo is a combination of mineral, nutrients, anti-volatile agents, etc., customized to each yeast. Although you can successfully culture the yeast, that is all that you will get from culturing.
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2003 1:35:49 AM(UTC)

I am a beer maker and the first thing I tried was to culture a Turbo yeast from a sugar wash. Don't do it. The first batch works wonderful, but the cultured yeast will go on forever and I've had them quit before finishing fermentation.

Here is something you may want to try. Even though the package says not to use it over 25L, I tried it in a large 100L 12% sugar wash. Worked great! In fact, I have used this method for several batches with no problems.

So, you are actually getting 4 batches for the price of 1 yeast, which isn't bad.

Just wait until the wash clears and store it in clean 25L food grade plastic buckets. Then pull one out when you need it.

My favorite is the Turbo Pure 24.