logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline drakkar  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 05, 2013 6:50:57 AM(UTC)
drakkar

Groups: Registered

"This info came from an older post on this site
http://www.brewhausforum...63-Rough-Potstill-design
Originally Posted by: ohyeahyeah Go to Quoted Post
No need for a straight drop before the worm. You can run an incline or decline to the worm, your call. And incline gives you a little natural reflux as the vapor cools and travels back to and down the column as liquid. With a decline the same thing happens but instead of acting as relux the condensing just eases the burden on your worm.
See the thing to consider is flavor. You need enough contact with the copper to remove the nasty sulfides. If you have a short column thats tiny your vapour speed will be so fast that you will get very little contact and you will unhappy with your end product.

I am tring to build a similar pot. I am tring to get an idea on what you are refering to on the incline. the question have on 3/4 column to your 3/8"" condenser, you said ""No need for a straight drop before the worm. You can run an incline or decline to the worm"" and ""incline gives you a little natural reflux as the vapor cools and travels back to and down the column as liquid"". or you talking about the worm sitting above the consider? emample the top of the coumn from the ground 40"" and say the incline on 3/8"" line going to the worm and the worm its self could be somethimg like 5' or 6' from the ground would that to much of an incline. would this be close and would it give a good reflux. thanks for any info or input

the next question is i have done a lot of reading and i am not sure if you can pack your column off the pot with copper, if so can it be copper wire like coiled and balled up and shoved up in the column, or will the copper mesh say up in the top of the column work or not"
Offline Bushy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 05, 2013 3:14:33 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Groups: Registered

Hi Drakkar, The original post your quote comes from was talking about a boiler made from a stock pot that was about 15" tall. When coming off the pot you could run a 45 degree angle to incline the riser a foot or more before making the down turn to your worm. The down turn tube can be as long as needed. The idea being to create a small amount of reflux and increase ABV slightly.

As for adding copper to your column the best thing for me is copper mesh. It gives plenty of surface contact area for removal of sulfides and creating refux. If rolled properly, not to tight and not to loose, it will stay where you put it. If you are concerned or have problems keeping it in place a remidy is to buy a stainless steel drain screen, for a kitchen or bathroom sink. Cut the domed part out to a little larger than the column size so it takes a little pressure to insert it, dome side up, into the column after your copper mesh. That should hold the mesh from falling out and yet still be removable.
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 06, 2013 2:08:26 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

i ran a ss bolt across the base of my column to hold the mesh