logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Crockpot  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 05, 2013 3:53:50 AM(UTC)
Crockpot

Groups: Registered

"Ive researched and researched but now is the time someone points me specifically what YEAST i need and how MUCH i will need from Brewhaus.

Below is the recipe I plan on using. I plan on running a 5 gal batch. Champagne yeast seems to be hard to find fresh and people are telling me just to use a turbo yeast or a whiskey yeast with Ag. So now im confused!!!!! Any help would be appreciated!!

Whiskey
INGREDIENTS:
10 lbs. Whole kernel corn, untreated
5 Gallons Water
1 Cup Yeast, champagne yeast starter

DIRECTIONS:
Put corn in a burlap bag and wet with warm water. Place bag in a warm dark
place and keep moist for about ten days. When the sprouts are about a 1/4"" long
the corn is ready for the next step. Wash the corn in a tub of water, rubbing
the sprouts and roots off.. Throw the sprouts and roots away and transfer the
corn into your primary fermenter. With a pole or another hard object mash the
corn, make sure all kernels are cracked. Next add 5 gallons of boiling water
and when the mash cools add yeast. Seal fermenter and vent with a water sealed
vent. Fermentation will take 7-10 days. When fermentation is done, pour into
still filtering through a pillow case to remove all solids"
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 05, 2013 11:38:50 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Dude, of course your confused, if your new thats enough to confuse anybody. Go to the recipe section and pick something from THIS site thats already been tried and true. What you posted can be configured and made to work but not by a newbie. (no offense intended).

If you want to be warm and fuzzy then stick with something that will make it happen for you and THATS not gonna do it.

You can go with a Gerber recipe and when you find it --it has directions that are stepbystep.....
Or use bayouruler's sugar wash with tomato paste -- again its easy to source the items needed and it really easy to make it happen.

Recipe section....Whiskey thread....Vodka thread...."
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 05, 2013 11:45:09 AM(UTC)
heeler

Crockpot...find that little search box up top and enter --Gerber Neutral with Pics--- that will take you to something thats really easy to get going and it has pictures to carry you along. You'll find the recipe you were looking at can work but its missing some REALLY important items. Search this site for satifaction before attempting recipe construction on your own...good luck.
Offline Crockpot  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 06, 2013 12:29:32 PM(UTC)
Crockpot

"Thanks for the info.. I could totally use some advice!

But first off, altough im new to this step of the process. We have brewed beer and wine for a few years and having hydrometer, ph meters, etc I do have some basic ""brewing"" process.

The reason why I chose a corn recipe is because I have a free supply to either cracked or whole corn.
Hence its cheaper then sugar for me so thats im leaning towards the corn based route. Because all I can lose other then time, is the cost of the yeast. lol

Would you know of any proven easy recipes that would work within what Im shooting for?"
Offline John Barleycorn  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 06, 2013 1:12:04 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Crockpot,

If you've brewed beer, then you know that adding boiling water to your malt will likely denature most (if not all) of the enzymes. But this is probably one of the many details that heeler wanted to avoid in the first place.

You might want to try a bourbon recipe if you're committed to using corn and are confident in your mashing abilities. Maybe send a PM to ohyeah as I believe he's been doing a lot of that lately (or has done a lot in the past). Otherwise, it's good advice to pick a tried and true recipe while you get comfortable with your rig. Maybe sweetfeed or UJSSM so you can use some of that free corn :) ... then start moving towards a bourbon recipe. Once you have repeated success with a bourbon recipe you could start replacing some of the barley malt with your own corn malt.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline caros527486  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 06, 2013 3:13:59 PM(UTC)
caros527486

There is a great video that was posted on this forum under Videos on how to make moonshine and funny enough it uses the same receipe I use with a few mods that I add in. Fairly simple and yeilds great results, just to fill you in I know everyone here uses mostly Brewhaus yeast as it is the brewhaus forum but I dont have the patience for pitching my yeast so I use a Turbo Brewers yeast and I've had awsome results everytime. These guys know what they're talking about , take their advice and the only decision you'll have to make is what flavor.
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 07, 2013 3:17:02 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
Originally Posted by: Crockpot Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the info.. I could totally use some advice!

But first off, altough im new to this step of the process. We have brewed beer and wine for a few years and having hydrometer, ph meters, etc I do have some basic ""brewing"" process.

The reason why I chose a corn recipe is because I have a free supply to either cracked or whole corn.
Hence its cheaper then sugar for me so thats im leaning towards the corn based route. Because all I can lose other then time, is the cost of the yeast. lol

Would you know of any proven easy recipes that would work within what Im shooting for?

Ok, so in a beer wash most times they are only 3-5% abv and in a likker wash we shoot for 8-12%abv. Now that may not sound llike much difference but when the distillin starts and your collecting you'll see what I'm talking about when your done. You can indeed make likker with grains like what you've got with a few extra items. You will need to grind some of em to expose the protein center or endosperm and if you add 10 lbs of sugar you'll get more alcohol after its all said and done. And the addition of yeast nutrients will make em a lot happier whislt they are fementing. There are recipes on the site that can help you along that are really easier than this one but if your hearts set on it go with it and good luck."