logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline drakkar  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 11:02:45 AM(UTC)
drakkar

Groups: Registered

"I found this recipes on the web:
Vodka From Sugar
This will make 15 gallons of wash.
Ingredients needed:
-30-40 pounds of cane sugar
-2 packs of Turbo Yeast High Alcohol
-Distilled Water
Use a 20 quart stock pot to dissolve about 10 lbs of cane sugar in 95º water. Pour into a 15 gallon barrel. Repeat until all the cane sugar has been disolved. Fill the remainder of the space in the barrel with warm water, adjusting water temperture to 92º in the barrel.
**********************************************************************************************

I broke it down to a 5gal wash 12lb sugar, and Distilled water. I used 2 packs of Red Star Quick rise (Gluten Free) I thought that might be equal 1 pack of Turbo Yeast High Alcohol. It has been Fermenting for over 28hrs had a few bubbles but none now in fact i use a home bubbler 20oz bottle with a small hose (breathing machine) and water has risen about 1"" up the hose. so is this incomplet recipe or does need something like tomato paste, is the yeast maybe bad. Please give me any ideas. Thank You Drakkar"
Offline drakkar  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 11:04:02 AM(UTC)
drakkar

and I have heater set four foot away for thm keeping them about 85-90 F

and also how well do the Essences taste like the Vodka Essences, I wouuld love to find one for Potato flavor
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 11:39:48 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: drakkar Go to Quoted Post
I found this recipes on the web:
Vodka From Sugar
This will make 15 gallons of wash.
Ingredients needed:
-30-40 pounds of cane sugar
-2 packs of Turbo Yeast High Alcohol
-Distilled Water
Use a 20 quart stock pot to dissolve about 10 lbs of cane sugar in 95º water. Pour into a 15 gallon barrel. Repeat until all the cane sugar has been disolved. Fill the remainder of the space in the barrel with warm water, adjusting water temperture to 92º in the barrel.
**********************************************************************************************

I broke it down to a 5gal wash 12lb sugar, and Distilled water. I used 2 packs of Red Star Quick rise (Gluten Free) I thought that might be equal 1 pack of Turbo Yeast High Alcohol. It has been Fermenting for over 28hrs had a few bubbles but none now in fact i use a home bubbler 20oz bottle with a small hose (breathing machine) and water has risen about 1"" up the hose. so is this incomplet recipe or does need something like tomato paste, is the yeast maybe bad. Please give me any ideas. Thank You Drakkar

Sorry pal, you got a incomplete recipe there, and that yeast is a type of bakers yeast that needs some kinda additives to make it really happy. The turbo would have all the enzymes and nutrients that it requires for fermentation but the R.S yeast is not gonna do much I would bet.

And 12 lbs of sugar with that yeast would prolly not be a good thing either, but try adding the paste and see what happens, ya cant make it worse, sorry.

2 packs of RS are not equal to 1 pack of turbo by far....I bet the original recipe would produce ethanol but the remake prolly wont."
Offline drakkar  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 11:43:38 AM(UTC)
drakkar

Thats what i thought should i add one or cans of paste
Offline drakkar  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 11:59:57 AM(UTC)
drakkar

I just ordered 2 turbo yeast 48 from the store Cool
Offline drakkar  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 12:50:28 PM(UTC)
drakkar

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
Sorry pal, you got a incomplete recipe there, and that yeast is a type of bakers yeast that needs some kinda additives to make it really happy. The turbo would have all the enzymes and nutrients that it requires for fermentation but the R.S yeast is not gonna do much I would bet.

And 12 lbs of sugar with that yeast would prolly not be a good thing either, but try adding the paste and see what happens, ya cant make it worse, sorry.

2 packs of RS are not equal to 1 pack of turbo by far....I bet the original recipe would produce ethanol but the remake prolly wont.

i ordered some turbo yeast 48 should i wait for it to get befor trying the paste or will the mash still be any good by the time it gets here
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 2:38:09 PM(UTC)
heeler

Leave it alone until your turbo gets home and then sprinkle on top and give a stir or two with a sanitized spoon, put a lid on it let er go. It might take 72 hours to finish but so what just keep an eye on it cause you cant hurry it anyway. In 48 hours look inside and if its still sizzling its not done. Hope ya get it.
Offline drakkar  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 07, 2013 9:38:14 AM(UTC)
drakkar

oK just recived my hydrometer and pulled a sample off the wash and would not even read the first set of numbers about half an inch above the liquid? I should not have started with out my hydrometer... I have not received my turbo yeast yet..
Offline drakkar  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 07, 2013 9:49:49 AM(UTC)
drakkar

Never mind i just relized the hydrometer does not do Potential alcohol so i will have to order on that will Sad
Offline drakkar  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 2:40:37 AM(UTC)
drakkar

I need somehelp I added a turbo yeast , man it has been working the bubbler to death, but when it got to 4 bubbles a min i test it with the hydrometer that tests for alcohol the sp was at 1.010 the pav was 2% and the ps was at 5 it stays around 62-75 degs it has been running for mor than tem days 10 days still bubbles slow. Is it going to be worth anything or should i throw it out and start over it is only a 5 gallon mash thanks for any help u can give first run was great second one was crap do i need to
PLEAS HELP ME
Offline heeler  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 3:33:26 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
Originally Posted by: drakkar Go to Quoted Post
I need somehelp I added a turbo yeast , man it has been working the bubbler to death, but when it got to 4 bubbles a min i test it with the hydrometer that tests for alcohol the sp was at 1.010 the pav was 2% and the ps was at 5 it stays around 62-75 degs it has been running for mor than tem days 10 days still bubbles slow. Is it going to be worth anything or should i throw it out and start over it is only a 5 gallon mash thanks for any help u can give first run was great second one was crap do i need to
PLEAS HELP ME

1) what is sp and ps????
2) you cant test alcohol % in a wash thats still fermenting no matter which hydrometer you use.
3) an alcohol hydrometer will not test for original gravity or specific gravity???

if its still bubbling away just leave it alone it may take 14 days to finish. When is quits bubbling its most likely done so keep waiting and dont throw it away yet."
Offline scotty  
#12 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 4:19:36 AM(UTC)
scotty

"i think he means that he tests the PA ((potential alcohol)) during the ferment- The tripple scale hydrometer will always read a close aproximation of that. This is how we tell that the ferment is progressing down to the below 1 figure which tells us that the ferment is finished:)

THE S IS RIGHT NEXT TO THE A LOL"
Offline drakkar  
#13 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 7:36:51 AM(UTC)
drakkar

I dont underestand all slang a little help please

i have triple that does SP (specific gracity), PA(potential by Alcohol Vol), PS (Percent Sugar ) Then I have on for Proofing, which one do i use To get sp and ps, sorry i am new to this I have don a lot reading but dont remember seeing those,
Offline drakkar  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:24:58 PM(UTC)
drakkar

17 days and still throughing 10 -15 bubbles a min
Offline drakkar  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:22:08 PM(UTC)
drakkar

I have a question there is a better taste I have ran it through Activated Stone Carbon and it is better but still taste the better prob yeast Turbo, anyway can i place some of the Activated Stone Carbon into the bottle for a few days to help with taste? thanks for any input. this came out at 155% proof