logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Maddawgs  
#21 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 12:30:30 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
too many folks in beer making also use starsan-- i dont believe it kills yeast. i still dont like pitching at higher temperatures though -- i like about 75 F

we live in the year 2013. Why are you guy so hung up on using popcorn type additives like tomatoe paste. then do you add lemon juice without checking the ph.

Low temperature merely slows or stops fermentation. I use a brewbelt and a heating pad that are both controlled by a temp probe in the fermenter. I happen to use 65 deg F. to ferment because i believe it lowers the possibility of off flavors. And risking the WRATH of ADMIN, i hate turbo yeast and anything that strand sells. WHY
READ HIS BOOK AND SEE IT IS JUST A COMMERCIAL FOR HIS PRODUCTS. Off to the shrink again. lol

Hi Scotty,
Thanks for the reply. From the research I've done, sanitization was highly recommended and when I asked for suggestions starsan came out on top so that is what I use. I'm using up the turbos as learning runs because they came with the kits and I hate to waste anything. Plus there is a chance I may get some decent product out of it. The tomatoe paste and lime juice were part of the recipe I'm following. Yeast energizer was a last ditch shot to get the buckets going (and so far it worked). Did not want to use it, worried it may cause other problems (find out when I run it thru the PS2HC). I'm with you on the ferment temps and for the same reason.Currently keeping temps between 68f to 75f. I'm still a newbie to this so if I make some mistakes I don't mind as long as I learn from them. Thanks for your help and responses,keep em coming.
Maddawgs
Offline Maddawgs  
#22 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 12:32:24 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Dozer Go to Quoted Post
Hi Maddawgs, when your turbo is gone try, Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash, it's so easy. Good luck.
Happy New Year

Hi Dozer,
Thanks that is the plan.
Maddawgs
Offline Maddawgs  
#23 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 12:47:47 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Bushy Go to Quoted Post
Hi Maddawgs, Sorry about the lag in replying I've been really busy this last month.
Everything you did sounds fine in your procedures except the temp that you hydrated your yeast at, that was higher than I would have done.
I rehydrate at between 85 and 90 degrees. Also rehydrating turbo is not necessary but it is fun to watch it take off and grow. Unlike your regular yeast you can't let it sit for hours rehydrating because of the nuts it will burn itself out pretty quick, about 15 minutes at most.
The addition of more nuts should only be done when adding more sugar, and sparingly then. Otherwise your likely to get off flavors
Sounds like some of the yeast made it through as your getting fermentation now so let it work. try and keep your temp between 75 and 80 degrees for a few days, turbo's like a little warmer environment than regular yeast, and then add your next batch of sugar.
BTW for a sugar wash, when dissolving the sugar you only need to bring the water to 180 degrees to pasturize it, boiling is not needed.
Hope things go well for you.

Hi Bushy,
Thanks for the reply. I figured with the holidays you were occupied with other things. For the sugar, tomatoe paste, lime juice, and water mix the highest temp was 155f, so this may have been another cause of my problems (along with killing most of the yeast). Both buckets seem to be cranking right along now. I've decided to use this run as an experiment somewhat following your process. I'm going to add the 2 pounds of sugar tomorrow night and keep ferment temps to the range they are in now. I'll keep everyone updated on progress and results.
Thanks, Maddawgs
Offline Bushy  
#24 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 1:29:50 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi Maddawgs, I think at 155 you were OK. Was most likely the yeast problem.
Glad to here it's working out now and do keep us posted on the progress.
Offline Maddawgs  
#25 Posted : Saturday, January 05, 2013 12:37:54 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Hey all,
This has been a great discussion. I continue to be impressed with the amount of help from our members. I'm learning a lot and loving the hobby. Even the wife is starting to get involved. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress of this run all the way thru distillation. Please keep your ideas, comments, and advice coming. I find it all helpful.
Thanks, Maddawgs
Offline scotty  
#26 Posted : Saturday, January 05, 2013 2:14:54 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"
Originally Posted by: Maddawgs Go to Quoted Post
Hey all,
This has been a great discussion. I continue to be impressed with the amount of help from our members. I'm learning a lot and loving the hobby. Even the wife is starting to get involved. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress of this run all the way thru distillation. Please keep your ideas, comments, and advice coming. I find it all helpful.
Thanks, Maddawgs

And we dont even like you LOL LOL LOL :)

couldnt resist---sorry"
Offline Maddawgs  
#27 Posted : Saturday, January 05, 2013 4:18:43 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

And we dont even like you LOL LOL LOL :)

couldnt resist---sorry

Awe come'on Scotty , I know you guys love me :)
Maddawgs
Offline scotty  
#28 Posted : Saturday, January 05, 2013 5:42:17 AM(UTC)
scotty

-----------------------------shhhhhhhhh ----------------------------------
Offline Maddawgs  
#29 Posted : Sunday, January 06, 2013 12:56:59 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Hi All,
Ok here is an update on the progress. Went out to the shop when I got home from work last night. Both buckets are cranking right along with the airlocks bubling every 5 or 10 seconds. Temps on both buckets now at 78f. I didn't change the heat, it is just not as cold outside-30f to 35f and room temp at 77f (I'll have to add more insulation to the shop for better temp moderation). Did a check on the sg and got reading of 1.030 for each bucket. Down from my start of 1.090 on New Years Day. When I took off the lids to check sg I noticed very good activity in both whit lots of bubling going on. I've never done a ferment before so I'm assuming this is good news. I've decided due to the level of activity to not add more sugar and to just let the buckets run thier course (not even going to open them again until they are done) and see what I get when I run it thru the PS2HC. Some observations: Prior to opening the buckets I would say the shop smelled faintly like bread dough. When I opened the buckets I would say the smell was more like a good beer smell with a faint vinegar edge (This is what the shop smells like now). Not strong but definately there. I'm not really a beer drinker but I would describe the overall smell as good. I am concerned about the vinegar smell, it was not strong or bad but it was there. Like I said I've never done a ferment so I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. So that is where I am now. Hoping to get some good comments, suggestions, and advice.
Thanks, Maddawgs
Offline scotty  
#30 Posted : Sunday, January 06, 2013 2:02:36 AM(UTC)
scotty

it doesnt hurt to give them an easy stir in the morning--not to aerate but to mix. i leave my hydrometer in the fermenter so i peeg at the sg before stirring :)
Offline Maddawgs  
#31 Posted : Sunday, January 06, 2013 3:27:53 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

it doesnt hurt to give them an easy stir in the morning--not to aerate but to mix. i leave my hydrometer in the fermenter so i peeg at the sg before stirring :)

Hi Scotty,
Thanks for the info. I'll give both buckets a stir when I get home from work tonight. Should I be concerned about the smells at this stage or are they a normal part of the process. When I checked last night the smell overall was a good beer with an edge of vinegar but overall good. It is the edge of vinegar that has me concerned.
Thanks, Maddawgs
Offline Maddawgs  
#32 Posted : Sunday, January 06, 2013 11:53:18 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Anybody? Are the smells I've noticed a good thing or a bad thing? This is my first time fermenting anything so I don't really know. Gave both buckets a good stir, temps and activity are staying steady.
Thanks, Maddawgs
Offline scotty  
#33 Posted : Monday, January 07, 2013 2:21:03 AM(UTC)
scotty

"High tech instructions below

STOP WATCHING THE %%#

#$$%% THING, JUST STIR IT EVERY DAY AND CHECK THE SG. LOL LOL Im lucky MD. my nose was re mushed so mant times that the only thing i smell is manure when driving by a farm."
Offline heeler  
#34 Posted : Monday, January 07, 2013 3:04:48 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"I concure, you cant hurry it anyway so leave it alone and let it gurggle it'll be fine.

Patience my boy patience............"
Offline Maddawgs  
#35 Posted : Monday, January 07, 2013 3:32:41 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Ok, Thanks. Not really concerned about how long it takes, it was the smell. From what I could find longer ferment time is better anyway and since nobody has said the the smell is bad I'll assume it is good. I'll stop worrying about it and let it go.
Thanks, Maddawgs
Offline heeler  
#36 Posted : Monday, January 07, 2013 4:47:52 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
you know what they say..if she smells too good she's hiding something..........oh wait thats different site sorry carry on....................
Offline Hokey  
#37 Posted : Monday, January 07, 2013 5:31:30 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello MD. Congrats. It looks like it is going well. the slight vinegar smell is nothing to worry about. different smells for different washes i guess. Obviously enough yeast made it through the 105 degree rehydration it just took them longer to multiply and get plentiful enough to get the air lock going. I have found that the waiting is the hardest part.
Offline Maddawgs  
#38 Posted : Monday, January 07, 2013 6:05:35 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
you know what they say..if she smells too good she's hiding something..........oh wait thats different site sorry carry on....................

I though it was " if it smells like fish don't .....oops way out of lineWinkBigGrin
Offline Maddawgs  
#39 Posted : Monday, January 07, 2013 6:48:28 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Hokey Go to Quoted Post
Hello MD. Congrats. It looks like it is going well. the slight vinegar smell is nothing to worry about. different smells for different washes i guess. Obviously enough yeast made it through the 105 degree rehydration it just took them longer to multiply and get plentiful enough to get the air lock going. I have found that the waiting is the hardest part.

Hi Hokey,
Thanks for the info. Thought I had bocthed the 2 washes up, but they seem to be doing great. You must be getting close to getting your PS2HC. Should be doing my cleaning run in a few days.
Maddawgs
Offline Hokey  
#40 Posted : Monday, January 07, 2013 7:02:23 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi MD. Yup, the war dept. and I and friends are going on a cruise in a week or so to get out of this frickin' cold weather. After that I should still have enough $$ left to place the order. At least I hope. Our last cruise bar bill for a week was $1200.00. Just on the boat. LOL