logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline joseph9936  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 4:47:26 AM(UTC)
joseph9936

Groups: Registered

"I have programmed the logic in my plc and here are my first stripping run and then my 2nd run with 2 gal of alcohol and 3.5 gal of water. I'm not saying I am doing it all correctly so looking for comments for me to learn more. I collect data every 5 seconds and I have imported the number in to Excel, hince the chart.

I am in the process of adding Wonderware so I can view and capture data and not need my pc connected while I am running. At this time all I have to do is press start and walk away.I DO see room for improvement so any comments or questions?

1st run
[ATTACH=CONFIG]678[/ATTACH]

2nd run with 2 gal alcohol and 3.5 of water
[ATTACH=CONFIG]679[/ATTACH]

regars,
joseph9936"
joseph9936 attached the following image(s):
1st%20run.GIF (9kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
2%20gal%20of%20alcohol%20with%203%20and%20half%20gal%20of%20water%20run.GIF (13kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline joseph9936  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 4:52:33 AM(UTC)
joseph9936

I already know i have some issues but I went ahead and submitted the "not so perfect run" for discussion hoping talking thru it will answer lots of questions because I have the benefit of seeing data.
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 10:21:17 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

What specifically did you control with the PLC???
Offline joseph9936  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 11:11:50 AM(UTC)
joseph9936

I have 2 thermocouple inputs. 1. vapor temp 2. keg temp
Outputs is 2 pumps. 1 on tower 2. on the output. ( that runs all the time in a seperate container than the tower water.)
The real benefit is being able to make changes and see the data that it directly relates to. one thing I am understanding is how long to reflux. Right now i just hit start and it will to continue to run until it reaches 194 degrees vapor or 210 KEG or I press stop. I work in Industrial Automation so its just all fun for me and I wrote all the code. I'm working on a graphical interface also. To add to it all I have a friend that is going to start up a process that has a 20 foot tower to make vodka also and i will write the code for that. Just having fun and sharing my data.
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 12:12:36 AM(UTC)
scotty

"your fun is my hearts desire. What type of thermocouples are wired to the inputs?? I guess i would like to know what specific thermocouples the plc can see??

I have been trying to learn plc for a long time. I purchased a book that came with a disk. It is suposed to be on allen bradleys for beginners. The software has so many glitches in it that i cant get past the first 3 or 4 pages of the book. I shelved the book. I'm looking at something called a clic trainer by automationdirect, but my ignorance leaves me not really able to make a decision.

My plan with the plc was to do what you have done plus use a set of 4 3 way solenoids in series with the output of the liebig to separate fores, heads, hearts and tails using temperatures.

I have a PID that operates a DPDT mechanical relay. It switches the applied voltage from 240 to 120 when it senses heat at the base of the tower.

Thats it so far.

I am in process of mounting the volt and amp meters and PIDs in a plexiglass sheet for cosmetic reasons. I believe i can do what i want with PIDs but i just recently became aware of PLCs The ability of the PLC logic to be tweaked as i found necessary is what trapped my interest.

My ability may not be up to it. Im still trying to learn. :) :)"
Offline joseph9936  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 11:44:19 AM(UTC)
joseph9936

Scotty,
I'll be happy to help in anyway possiable!!! What we can do is use my teamviewer and you can login and I will explain each step of the code. It's pretty easy and I have been doing it all my life. So let me know :-)
Theromocouple type? I used Type "J" but the plc can use any type. I used 10ms update time and then use a 1 second timer to calm the data down.
My next step is to use the solinoid valve thoughts but letting it soak in a little....:-)
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 1:26:08 PM(UTC)
scotty

Tell me what to do so we can communicate please. I use K types with my PIDs but isnt a special type needed so the plc can read the temperatures as it scans-- I'm totally in the dark Joseph. Also should i see if i can aford a basic plc???
Offline joseph9936  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 3:25:31 PM(UTC)
joseph9936

how long you be distilling? what do you make mostly?
Offline scotty  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 05, 2013 12:09:07 AM(UTC)
scotty

"Making wine for many years-- distillingfor a few. mostly make vodka but irish whiskey is my project. i have grains in stock forirish whiskey. im just coming out of a couple of years of misc health issues-- cancer, heart also 2 hips replaced. the chemo seems to hae done its job as the 3 stints have also. i'm a very fortunate 71 year old goat.
my obcessions are very slow fermenting and very slow distilling."
Offline scotty  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:53:55 AM(UTC)
scotty

"Joseph, i finally have my pid power controll re assembled. it seems that either i wired something in correctly or the auber unit no longer has the programing saved. it doesnt turn the mechanical relay on as soon as i apply power(this is what applus 220 to the heat element during the first part of heating the boiler))). I thought these little guys had eproms and woul hold the programing indefinitely.
i have to get my lazy butt out to the porch and go through the setup again.
I'll soon be begging for plc help."