logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline old stump juicer  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 1:35:20 AM(UTC)
old stump juicer

Groups: Registered

"I have been reading about using tomato paste and epsom salt in a sugar wash for the yeast nutrient while using EC1118.
What I haven't found is a specific recipe for the amount of each. How many ounces for a 6 gal wash?
The turbo's cost from $6 -$10 per pack while EC1118 is only $0.75, thats enough difference to pay for the sugar."
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 3:00:21 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi old stump juicer,

There are several versions of the recipe. But I can tell you what I have used successfully. My water is from a well and it comes through a softener (ion-exchange filter).

10 lbs sugar
6 oz. can of tomato paste
juice from half of a lemon
1/8 tsp epsom salt

I dissolve the sugar in about 3 gallons of hot water with the lemon juice. I don't bring it to a boil, but I do let it sit while I break up the tomato paste. I break up the tomato paste in a sauce pan with some water ... I do heat it up to help move things along ... like making tomato soup. The epsom salt I stir into the soup. The whole lot gets dumped into the bucket and topped off with cold water to about 5.5 gallons. When the temperature is 30 C (86 F) or below, I pitch the yeast/yeast starter.

I did this many times with baker's yeast, then switched to EC-1118 and haven't had any stuck/incomplete washes. I'm currently evaluating Vintner's CL-23 yeast -- which so far, shows some promise.

I've also played around with various additions of DAP, Calcium Chloride, Calcium Sulphate, etc. But I've never needed them ... just experimenting.

Regards,
--JB
Offline ratflinger  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 3:12:03 AM(UTC)
ratflinger

Sure, the extra nutrients wouldn't be necessary with the tomato paste. I've been experimenting with EC1118 also, but the latest wash is straight bakers. I've had good results with mixing EC & bakers so this will probably be one of the last experiments. EC1118 is great in my wine production, but starts off real slow in a sugar wash (nutrients added). Bakers takes right off, I thinking a bakers start with a package of EC1118 after about 3 days might be the ticket.
Offline joseph9936  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 8:36:33 AM(UTC)
joseph9936

how many grams of bakers yeast?
Offline John Barleycorn  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 9:35:13 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"Joseph,

When I use baker's yeast (Fleischmann's) I just sprinkle 8 tbs across the surface and leave it ... I don't make a starter and I don't do any stirring ... I just lock it down a few hours after pitching and leave it alone for around two weeks. The temperature where I keep the fermenting bucket is usually around 20 C (68 F) for a good part of the year plus or minus a few degrees depending on season/weather. There's usually a good krausen by the time I lock it down.

--JB"
Offline dieselduo  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 9:40:15 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
with that size wash I use 2packets of the bakers yeast.
Offline ratflinger  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 10:19:24 AM(UTC)
ratflinger

Wife gets bakers by the large Costco pack. I use 1/4 cup, overkill but gets things going. I pitch at 95* & usuall keep the wine room in the upper 70's to mid 80's, depending upon the season.
Offline Short Shot  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 1:08:57 PM(UTC)
Short Shot

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
"That's great information.

I'm rubbing my hands together in anticipation.

Thanks guys.

--SS"
Offline joseph9936  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 4:00:14 PM(UTC)
joseph9936

starting mine tomorrow. I'm going to make a 10 gallion run. I'll post my trend on here so everyone can see the results :-)
Offline John Barleycorn  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 4:38:59 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"
Quote:
Wife gets bakers by the large Costco pack. I use 1/4 cup, overkill but gets things going.

Yep, I definitely use a lot of baker's yeast to get things started. I tried using smaller amounts twice ... but it seemed like tjey never really got started. Both times I ended up tossing in more on day 3 and it started right up. Not sure if you've experienced the same thing. Then I just started using plenty and haven't looked back. I get those packs with the two 1 lb bags. They're very inexpensive ... so no big deal. I suppose I could make starters and use less, but it doesn't seem like it's worth the effort given the cost of the yeast.

I haven't been using baker's yeast for a while though ... just EC-1118 ... and I'm currently playing with CL-23. The CL-23 is a bit pricey, but the wash ends up crystal clear. The yeast bed settles very nicely (very compact) and almost appears like it's trying to hold onto the bottom of the bucket so racking without disturbing the bed is very easy. I have one CL-23 wash stripped and I'm waiting for my next one to finish so I don't know how the final product will compare ... we'll see.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline old stump juicer  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 1:08:17 AM(UTC)
old stump juicer

Well guys I do appricaite the info; Now I can try that and see how it works, as a side note I have finally located a brew shop where I can physically put my hands on supplies and parts instead of having to order everything off the net. It's still a 70 mile ride one way but adds a little enjoyment to the hobby.