logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline halfbaked  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 01, 2013 4:06:50 PM(UTC)
halfbaked

Groups: Registered

"I am a newbe. Not a rookie yet. Rookies have actually done something. I have enjoyed all the posts and am learning lots. The possibility of me where I am prohibits me from having any good toys like a PSII or anything close to that. Really if the wife can fig out whats happening then it is a no go.... So I ran across the amazing still. It won't give me what I want but it is a possibility!!!!!! Has anyone done this? Any thoughts??? What Heater did you use. Not really interested sending money out of the country. Where did you get inside bucket and outside buckets?? I assume both have to be food grade or will a plastic lowes bucket be sufficient. This moght have enough camaflage to maybe pass th wifeeee test and if I have to throw it away won't break the bank. Heater looks like the big $ at $50 from partyman.

http://www.brewhaus.com/...l-Instructions.pdf"
Offline DrDanCan  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 1:30:00 PM(UTC)
DrDanCan

"Halfbaked,

Sorry if your better half ain't gonna go along with your toys...

This ""hobby"" requires more time than you seem to be prepared to take and if $50.00 is a deal killer you are done before you even get started.

Just to prepare a wash is gonna take some bucks and while it ferments it is going to generate some smell that the wifey will zero in on instantly.

Best advice I can give you is to get her on your side before you start and keep reading the forums here at BH and learn to talk the talk and enjoy one great hobby. Wink

Originally Posted by: halfbaked Go to Quoted Post
I am a newbe. Not a rookie yet. Rookies have actually done something. I have enjoyed all the posts and am learning lots. The possibility of me where I am prohibits me from having any good toys like a PSII or anything close to that. Really if the wife can fig out whats happening then it is a no go.... So I ran across the amazing still. It won't give me what I want but it is a possibility!!!!!! Has anyone done this? Any thoughts??? What Heater did you use. Not really interested sending money out of the country. Where did you get inside bucket and outside buckets?? I assume both have to be food grade or will a plastic lowes bucket be sufficient. This moght have enough camaflage to maybe pass th wifeeee test and if I have to throw it away won't break the bank. Heater looks like the big $ at $50 from partyman.

http://www.brewhaus.com/...ngStill-Instructions.pdf
"
Offline Hokey  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 1:58:19 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Welcome Halfbaked. I haave not tried to use the Amazing Still even though I have the makings for it. It looks good in theory

but would question the quality. You can get the buckets from any brew shop or get empties from your local doughnut shop.

I agree with Dr.CanCan. Get your wife to go along. Tell her you want to make her some perfume or essential oils (whatever

they are). And when rum comes out say OOOPS. Sorry honey I will try harder next time. LOL. Don't get discouraged and

good luck. Hope to hear from you again
Offline halfbaked  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 3:24:05 PM(UTC)
halfbaked

Thanks for replies. $50 is not a deal killer at all. Other half and neighbors to close are and maybe from what you say about smells might be the biggest deal killer. 150ft away my neighbor next door (both man and wife) drive black and white 4 dr cars. I know that the quality of the amazing project would not be amazing at all. A PSII is what I would really like. Sounds like probly the best thing that I should do is read and dream and dream and read. One of these days maybe. Nice sight and LOVE the project pics and one of these days. OH yea other half would never happen ever. If she knew about it or could fig it out would have to trash it.
Offline chooch  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 2:56:19 PM(UTC)
chooch

Hi Halfbaked
Does your wife drink? Alcohol comes from somewhere right!?! You can make better quality in your house than at some of them distilleries..and cheaper. Get her drunk and start chattin about different liquors that you both like or dislike or better yet..have them there and start doing blindfold taste challenges. Explore the taste, smell, mouth feel with her...OK, OK,, baffle her with BS...but get her thinking about how nice it would be to have home made stuff that she would be proud to serve to friends (and of course their compliments) and you'll win out. As for the fermenting smell, really it smell's like sour dough rising...not bad at all -Good Luck Cool
Offline whaler  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 4:17:04 PM(UTC)
whaler

Thats hilarious Chooch. "OK, OK,, baffle her with BS" My wife is allergic to alcohol. Huh. Never heard of that in my life till her lips started swelling after a shot crown. That was like 4 years ago and we tried a couple different liquors to make sure at later dates but just rubbing it on her lips would make them swell and that scared her so.....HAHAHA nope. caint likker her up around here. I gotta play the up front. I'll prolly have to run a few at friends at first but Im sure after a while Ill be in the back yard doing it HA!

As for the smell of ferment.Thats prolly nothing to what Ive smelled around here .
Offline Gravelier  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 6:21:21 PM(UTC)
Gravelier

Don't you have a shed in the back yard that you can convert to a "work shop"? You have to think creative (that means deceptive). Surprisingly, my wife is supportive (that means walking away while shaking her hard from side to side). But whatever works.
Offline whaler  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 01, 2014 3:03:26 AM(UTC)
whaler

Me? Funny thing is, my wife is allergic but she was the one that brought up the idea of running a still to defray some of the money I spend on whiskey. Not that I guzzle it but week after week adds up.

I have little kids running around and I live in a zero lot neighborhood. I could do it all in front of everybody but that would mean either sharing or explaining, of which I'm ready to do neither yet lol.

I'm getting my gear together now, reading a lot of info and waiting on a shipping order for my rig. Oh and I'm trying to figure out what I want to mash first!