logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline bagbyfarms  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 6:46:35 PM(UTC)
bagbyfarms

Groups: Registered

"I've been around home brew wine growing up. My grandfather used to make almost 1000 gallons a year of wine... and now I am wanting to get into shining
.. live on a farm n I sell produce. Just here to try to learn some new things"
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2012 1:21:47 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"Welcome.((BROWN COUNTY???)) Fruit is often a topic of conversation here. Lots of us do wine and thats a good part of the fermenting equipment. Good slow fermenting is a key to good results.
Do you have a still yet or any pots for mashing?? Do you have your eye on anything yet? :)"
Offline cczero  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2012 4:12:29 AM(UTC)
cczero

Welcome and Merry Christmas.
Offline bagbyfarms  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2012 4:19:15 AM(UTC)
bagbyfarms

No dnt have a still yet.. still debating on which way I want to go. Etheir ss or copper....
Corydon area is were I'm located..no my grandfather had a vineyard and made it all using jim beam barrels to make his wine in....

I wanna b able to make about a gallon to four at a time.. any suggestions id like to hear
Offline caros527486  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2012 6:00:46 AM(UTC)
caros527486

Hey BagbyFarms, I'm new here as well. I don't want to send any bad information your way so if any moderators read this please make any corrections necessary. To make a good solid 4 gallons you will need a still somewhere in the 20-25 gallons area, I say this because my father has a 15 gallon ss still and he gets app 3 gallons out if it and not all the time. I use a small 6 gallon copper pot ( Eight Gallon Cap / 6 Gallon Wash cap). I believe copper is the best way to go but thats just me. Being that you have oak charred barrels thats a huge plus and you live on farm. I've been doing this for about 1.5 years now and what I learned quickly is don't have high expectations the first couple of runs, you need patience, persistence, ablility to except failure and the ability to share. I hope what ever decision you do end up going with meets and/ or exceeds all of your tastes. Good Luck and dont forget to share any good receipes that you may come across.