logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cletus  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 5:16:42 PM(UTC)
cletus

Groups: Registered

"Hey Brewhaus!

I'm all about trying new and exciting recipes I find online and now I am trying to create my own recipe and see what happens. So here goes... please give me any pointers along the way! Thanks!

20 gallon mash pot

10 lbs of white rice flour
10 lbs of malted millet (I malted the millet myself!)
40 quarts of water
2 tsp Alpha Amylase Enzyme
1.5 oz Gluco-Amylase Enzyme
Turbo Whisky with AG (from Mile Hi Distilling b/c Brewhaus is currently out of Prestige WD)

1) Heat 40 quarts of water to 155 degree F.
2) Throw in white rice flour. Stir and cook for 20 minutes.
3) Throw in malted millet. Stir and cook for 20 minutes.
4) Stir in 2 tsp of Alpha Amylase Enzyme and let cook for 20 minutes.
5) Let mash cool overnight and rack into fermenter.
6) Stir in 1.5 oz Gluco-Amylase Enzyme and let sit for 20 minutes.
7) Sprinkle the yeast package contents on the surface of the grain mash, wait 15 minutes and then mix into the mash. Leave to ferment around 77 degrees F.
8) Let it sit for 3-4 days to let the yeast do its job.
9) After 3-4 days, run it through the still!

How does this sound? Too weird? Am I missing a step? I've seen other recipes use Epsom salt, nutrients, lime juice, etc?

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

-cletus"
Offline caros527486  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2012 12:43:50 PM(UTC)
caros527486

Hey Cletus, your receipe sounds good the only thing I would add would be app 10 lb of sugar even though your using malted millet and your Amylase Enzyme will convert your flour startch into sugar just to stay on the safe side. I've noticed over time that natural sugars in grains are very unpredicable and will certain times throw off your results. Thats only my opinion of course take it as you see fit. If you do run it as is please post your results
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2012 2:21:25 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Arecipe that has 50% malt and still calls for amylases.. It confuses me.
Offline cletus  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2012 11:20:22 AM(UTC)
cletus

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
Arecipe that has 50% malt and still calls for amylases.. It confuses me.

Well, it's my first time trying to formulate my own recipe. As far as I've read, barley is normally used in most recipes because it contains enough diastic power to convert all the starches to sugar. Unfortunately, when no barley is used, you have to supplement it with something else like amylase.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2012 4:37:02 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Cletus,

Just curious ... did you do any AG beer brewing in the past? Also, how many runs have you done using a tried and true recipe?

--JB
Offline heeler  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 5:35:56 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Well let me start with -- I think it will do something, you prolly WILL get some ethanol form it but I bet not what you think. And then after you distill it, again I bet you wont get what you think you will. And with no sugar the etoh will be very little. You titled this thread (unusal whiskey -any advise) yeah, dont do it until you've made at least 10 recipes that are tried and true or pick one and do it 10 times.
Remember that sugar is gonna give you volume's of likker and the charred wood is gonna give you the whiskey flavor. They say the burnt barrel is 60% of the flavor and 100% of the color. Now if you decide to go ahead with it thats cool too but maybe add some sugar so you dont just waste your time. Of course this is just my opinion so have fun with it and hope it works for ya."
Offline cletus  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 08, 2013 4:00:18 PM(UTC)
cletus

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
Cletus,

Just curious ... did you do any AG beer brewing in the past? Also, how many runs have you done using a tried and true recipe?

--JB

I have not done any all grain beer brewing in the past. I have kind of adapted this recipe from a beer recipe I found online on another forum.
Offline cletus  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 08, 2013 4:08:10 PM(UTC)
cletus

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
Well let me start with -- I think it will do something, you prolly WILL get some ethanol form it but I bet not what you think. And then after you distill it, again I bet you wont get what you think you will. And with no sugar the etoh will be very little. You titled this thread (unusal whiskey -any advise) yeah, dont do it until you've made at least 10 recipes that are tried and true or pick one and do it 10 times.
Remember that sugar is gonna give you volume's of likker and the charred wood is gonna give you the whiskey flavor. They say the burnt barrel is 60% of the flavor and 100% of the color. Now if you decide to go ahead with it thats cool too but maybe add some sugar so you dont just waste your time. Of course this is just my opinion so have fun with it and hope it works for ya.

I just realized that I have put this 'recipe' in the wrong section of the forum. This is NOT a tried and true recipe. I should have put this in the "Mashing" or "Fermentation" section of the forum. I apologize and if you would like to move it to another location, feel free to do so. That being said, I do plan on aging it with either oak chips or a small barrel. And, I should probably call it an "unusual spirit" as opposed to a whiskey. Thanks for pointing that out.

I will add some sugar to the wash to help the yeast with the production of ethanol. I will post the results (or my findings) on here.