logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline caros527486  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 7:14:47 AM(UTC)
caros527486

Groups: Registered

Hi my name is John and I live out in Westport Massachusetts. I've been shining for about 1.5 years now and I run my copper still app. once or twice a month in small batches mostly for myself. Since I'm introducing myself I figured I'd tell you why it is exactly that I registered. I ran into somewhat of a delema, my last brew came out horrible to say the least. I use a 6 gallon copper pot still with an eight gallon plastic condencer auto fed with cold well water. My last mash was comprised of one gallon of raw 100% honey and 4 gallons of water. After cooled I introduced my Alcotec 48 Pure Turbo Super Yeast and kept it for a total of six days mixing once a day at an everage temp of 76 degrees. I ran it through my still and ended up with one miserable gallon at 68 proof. With only one gallon I wasn't goin to run it again and oh yeah it came out cloudy as sewer water. So I guess my question is I got this receipe online and from what I read it was sapposed to be one mean shine. Is there anything I did wrong, I kept the temp at a steady 175 degrees after it boiled , through out the first 50ml and discarded the tails as they were only 20 proof to begin with. Any suggestions. I appreciate any help I can get.
Offline Maddawgs  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 7:22:47 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

The plastic condenser may be the problem. High abv alcohol will leech nasties out of the plastc
Maddawgs
Offline caros527486  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 7:29:03 AM(UTC)
caros527486

I appreciate your answer but just to better understand, the condencer tubing is all copper but the drum is plastic does that still make a difference.
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 9:49:09 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

how full was your boiler when you started your run??? What did you heat with??? :)
Offline caros527486  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 10:22:13 AM(UTC)
caros527486

"My Boiler was just under 3/4 of the way full but it did spit at the start but then I lowered the heat and it cleared up but always a little merky.
I've had a few buddies taste it and they love it but I can't stand the way it looks. I might just restill it with banana shine next week but I dont want the same mistake twice. Also I was using propane as the primary heat source."
Offline Maddawgs  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 10:24:03 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: caros527486 Go to Quoted Post
I appreciate your answer but just to better understand, the condencer tubing is all copper but the drum is plastic does that still make a difference.

Ahh got it, your condenser coil is in a plastic bucket filled with water. No as long as the product does not come in contact with the plastic there would be no problem there. The other problem(s) could be your wash got some sort of contamination or where your tails were at 20%, you may have smeared some tails in with your hearts.
Maddawgs
Offline caros527486  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 10:38:02 AM(UTC)
caros527486

Thank You. I figure your probably right, but why only one gallon that boggles me and especially at 68 Pf. I usually get about 1.5 to two gallons of shine per run and then I water it to about 90 Pf and finally run it through the carbon unless the taste is absolutly perfect in which case I dont mess with it.
Offline cczero  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 10:42:03 AM(UTC)
cczero

I would say all is not lost. If it were me I would add 1 Tbls of Baking Soda per gallon, 1 Tbls Koshler salt per gallon, let it sit for a couple of days and re-try it assuming there is nothing but SS or copper in the feed lines.
Offline caros527486  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 10:50:25 AM(UTC)
caros527486

So your saying to run a clean wash through the still and see if that would improve my next run or are you implying I should add those ingredients in my mash on the next run.
Offline heeler  
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 10:54:48 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"You really should not get 1-1.5 gallons of quality hooch from 5-6 gallons of wash. Did you make any cuts?

Read and learn how and why we make cuts.

Did you collect everthing from the first drop to the last in one big jug???

You said cloudy hooch...I bet that was tails...yuck!!"
Offline heeler  
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 11:04:38 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
Thank You. I figure your probably right, but why only one gallon that boggles me and especially at 68 Pf. I usually get about 1.5 to two gallons of shine per run and then I water it to about 90 Pf and finally run it through the carbon unless the taste is absolutly perfect in which case I dont mess with it.

So when you still you get 1.5-2 gallons of distillate from your 6 gallon wash? And then you dilute it down to 90 proof and it makes a greater volume?

Have you ever made that recipe before or just that time and was it ever different than the last one???

Someone mentioned re-running it -- that does clean it up and if thats your idea it will work. Use what hooch you have add enough water to make ohhhhhh 3.5-4 gallons and then re-distill it. That will leave behind even more of the yuckies."
Offline caros527486  
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 11:32:47 AM(UTC)
caros527486

"
Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
You really should not get 1-1.5 gallons of quality hooch from 5-6 gallons of wash. Did you make any cuts?

Read and learn how and why we make cuts.

Did you collect everthing from the first drop to the last in one big jug???

You said cloudy hooch...I bet that was tails...yuck!!

Well it all depends of the potency of the mash but its usually about 1-1.5 gallons of shine. I discard the first 50ml and run it untill the there is a sudden temp drop or untill the proof drops too much, I have noticed the between yesterday and today she cleared up quite a bit and there is a noticable dust like sitting at the bottom of the gallon. I never collect all of the run."
Offline heeler  
#13 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 11:40:35 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
Well it all depends of the potency of the mash but its usually about 1-1.5 gallons of shine. I discard the first 50ml and run it untill the there is a sudden temp drop or untill the proof drops too much, I have noticed the between yesterday and today she cleared up quite a bit and there is a noticable dust like sitting at the bottom of the gallon. I never collect all of the run.

Please find and read up on making cuts and --how and why-- we do that.

You jsut told me you dont discard heads or tails. Even iin a grain mash you still have lots of stuff to toss.

In my expirence, I make 5 gallon washes and only keep 2-2 1/4 quarts of hearts.

You said I never collect all of the run -- not sure what that means but 1.5 gallons from 6 gallons is really pushing it. How much more do you think is there?? If its good to you though thats all that matters."
Offline caros527486  
#14 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 11:44:41 AM(UTC)
caros527486

"
Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
Have you ever made that recipe before or just that time and was it ever different than the last one???

This was the first time using this specific receipe. I ran distilled vinegar and salt to clean out the still three days before i ran my mash. I'm wondering if that might of had anything to do with it. Either way I appreciate all of the input, I'm goin to try to run it again with my banana mash I got fermenting to see how it comes out, unless someone has a better idea on how to salavage at least that one gallon."
Offline heeler  
#15 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 11:51:27 AM(UTC)
heeler

Do this...take that one gallon add 4 gallons of water to it and then re-distill it. That will really clean it up. Take it slow (low and steady heat) but dont collect all in one jug, use a bunch of small ones then tomorrow use your nose and see which jars are the cleaniest and best hooch.
Offline caros527486  
#16 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 12:08:32 PM(UTC)
caros527486

Thank you Heeler. I am on my way to the still now. Tommorow morning I will post my results. Thanks for All The Help
Offline cczero  
#17 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 1:34:45 PM(UTC)
cczero

No that's not what I'm suggesting. Keep the output of the stinky run, add the bs and salt, and re-run after letting it cure for a couple of days (after diluting to the appropriate ABV). I do stripping and reflux and have found adding the bs and salt really helps in reducing off flavors. DON'T TOSS ANYTHING. It can be reborn.
Offline caros527486  
#18 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2012 5:51:44 AM(UTC)
caros527486

For Anyone who wanted to follow up on this thread, I took Heeler's adivce and got 1/4 gal on 90 pf of quality shine, I added a few strawberries to add a little color a flavor. I appreciate once again all of the help and look foward to to helping anyone that I can. Thanks again and I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.
Offline cczero  
#19 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2012 11:35:20 AM(UTC)
cczero

Merry Christmas to you as well and to all the members/readers of this forum.