logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline boxholland  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 9:31:57 AM(UTC)
boxholland

Groups: Registered

Any opinions on good heat sources for keg. Parts should be here today...looking around online it seems like the bayou classic fits the bill.
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 9:53:50 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Originally Posted by: boxholland Go to Quoted Post
Any opinions on good heat sources for keg. Parts should be here today...looking around online it seems like the bayou classic fits the bill.

Are you are set on using propane?? What boiler do you have?
Offline boxholland  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 12:10:12 PM(UTC)
boxholland

Propane if it's cheaper. Was hoping to get something going this weekend.

I have propane, just don't have a burner.

Using a 15.5 gallon keg.
Offline muadib2001  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 2:36:28 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

For a keg:

External:

• Propane: I would think outdoor only (or in a building you don't care about), Blichmann burner is the "Cadillac" of burners (check out Bayou-Ruler's page), you might scorch whatever you might have left in the wash (yeast or sediment), leaving a bad taste in the distillate.
  • Hot Plate (electric stove of some type): Requires a modification to keep it from cycling on and off (not difficult, from what I understand), and maybe a diffuser plate to spread the heat fully to the bottom of the kettle. Scorching may still be a problem.
  • Wood: I have no idea. Possible scorching issues again?
  • I've even heard of a person enclosing the bottom portion of the keg "skirt", filling it with water, and heating it, thereby indirectly heating the wash, avoiding scorching. I didn't try this, so no recommendations, just mentioning it.
  • Wrath of a spouse?

Internal:

• Steam: External source of steam that is fed thru sealed pipes, just to heat up the wash, but not scorch it. How you get piped steam to the keg, I have no idea (on a cheap scale, contact me if you're willing to spend $$$$$ Wink).
  • Electric: Drill a hole in the keg, down low, weld a stainless locknut to the hole and screw in a water heater element and attach it to the house wiring (110 or 220, with appropriate safeguards), with a router-speed controller (to vary the heat input, 110 should only be required to maintain the distillate output, 220 for keg heatup only [I've never heard of anyone using 220 by itself...]), and you're in business. Please note that I've left a lot of details out on this solution: you will need to read a bunch more on the website to get familiar with this solution. I still worry about yeast or sediment touching the element and producing off-flavors, but it seems to work OK.

As always, your mileage may vary.