logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline heeler  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:59:15 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"I ordered a BBW beer the other day, this weekend is supposed to be in the 50's so Saturday is beer brewing day. It dosen't take as long as running a 5 gallon batch of likker through the still but when you live in Fl. you take advantage of the cool weather. I know it wont be ready for Christmas or even New Years eve but prolly mid to late January will be the earliest.
Its kinda like a Leinenkugles Berry Shandy (thats what I am after anyway) I'm gonna add berry extract and lemon peel to get there, never done one of these so we'll see. All I know is I get to brew and use my ferm/chiller. This is where this guy comes in really handy, I will ferment around 68-74F. That should make a nice clean brew."
Offline Bushy  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 6:07:19 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Groups: Registered

Hi Heeler, Sounds yummy. Was that a kit you ordered or did you just order the ingredients? What's the ABV going to be on the brew.
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 8:35:17 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
Originally Posted by: Bushy Go to Quoted Post
Hi Heeler, Sounds yummy. Was that a kit you ordered or did you just order the ingredients? What's the ABV going to be on the brew.

I used an AG kit form True Brew. The kit is really just a wheat beer and I'm gonna add the extract. There's a brew shop close by and I described what I was looking for so the guy told me to try this beer.
I use the BIAB (Brew In A Bag) method for the ease of an AG recipe. If your not familiar with it, you add all your grain to a bag and mash in full volume of water ( 6.5 gallons of water hold at temp for an hour-remove the grain bag sparge a little and turn on the boil) it's really that simple. Now after fermentation is where the extract comes in, I'll be adding 3oz's to a 5 gallon mash. They say it's not overpowering with BB flavor but just a light hint, gonna ferment
68-74F for 2 weeks and the bottle. I want keg one of these days but we'll see."
Offline BrokeDickBrew  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 2:03:46 PM(UTC)
BrokeDickBrew

what yeast came in that Brew in a bag kit?
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 11:11:08 PM(UTC)
heeler

"
Originally Posted by: BrokeDickBrew Go to Quoted Post
what yeast came in that Brew in a bag kit?

BDB..I have to assume that you mean 2 row or 6 row??? Ya know I don't think they say when you order a kit, I guess I should have asked but just didn't think to. I have to say what ever kernal is cheaper is what they use in a kit. Now if you gather all the grains yourself and specify one or the other you could get either I'm sure but in a kit like this, well it is what it is!!!

This is not a BIAB kit so to say ---- its an All Grain kit and I brew it in a BIAB style. I bet today you can buy brew kits that are specified as BIAB kits but any all grain beer you buy can be brewed as a BIAB. Remember that BIAB is just a mashing method you still have to boil and ferment as you would any other style of beer. This method just contains all the grains for easy sparging and removal from the brew pot. Then of course comes the boil and hop addition. This way of brewing beer just makes it fun again especially with the easy cleanup of the grain bed."
Offline heeler  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 11:18:03 PM(UTC)
heeler

BDB...I'm sorry its still early, I thought I read asking about wheat not yeast..... sorry.... the yeast that came with this kit was a Muntons dry yeast. I thought about liquid yeast but dry is easier and should work fine so its fine for me this time. I didn't even re-hydrate I just followed the direction that came with the kit. It said sprinkle on top and wait 3 minutes and stir twice so that's what I did. Most ale yeasts are top fermenting so I think that's why they advise -- sprinkle and stir.
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 6:04:39 AM(UTC)
heeler

Well I bottled my BlueBerry Wheat beer, half BBW and half as the plain Wheat. If one sucks maybe the other will be good or even great. Now waiting for carbination to take over so I'm thinking about 2-3 weeks and I'll try one.
Offline heeler  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 6:08:28 AM(UTC)
heeler

Ya know I wish I would have taken some pics to show the BIAB style, I'm sure everybody has seen it but ya just never know who might stop by and say - hey what's that mean? It's pretty easy but maybe next time.
Offline heeler  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 10:38:37 AM(UTC)
heeler

Well the ole BBW is a great success story, the plain wheat is good and the blueberry wheat is even better. It was a really easy kit and I got over a case of bottles filled. Some were small so that made it go farther of course. Some pals stopped by today and had several 6's, they said it was good but hell free beer ----whats not to like. I would do that kit again but add more BB extract next time, I think 2 oz's to 2.5 gallons.
Offline Bushy  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 11:11:04 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi Heeler, Glad to here it turned out good for ya.
Was the BB flavor on the weak side, and is that why you say you will be useing 4oz instead of 3oz in the future?
Offline heeler  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:09:05 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Hey pal, yes the BB was very weak, the recipe called for 2 oz's to 5 gallons and I added 1 oz to 2.5 gallons. I think if I do this one again I'll go with 2 oz's to 2.5 gallons. But all in all its pretty good, now its just beer but I made it so that adds a little prestige to it for me anyway. I like the brewing and fermentation thing too, it gives me another excuse to use all my goodies.
I would say if you like plain ole beer with a twist give this one a go and use a little more extract weather its BB or Apricot or whatever."
Offline heeler  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 2:57:35 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
I ordered a BBW beer the other day, this weekend is supposed to be in the 50's so Saturday is beer brewing day. It dosen't take as long as running a 5 gallon batch of likker through the still but when you live in Fl. you take advantage of the cool weather. I know it wont be ready for Christmas or even New Years eve but prolly mid to late January will be the earliest.
Its kinda like a Leinenkugles Berry Shandy (thats what I am after anyway) I'm gonna add berry extract and lemon peel to get there, never done one of these so we'll see. All I know is I get to brew and use my ferm/chiller. This is where this guy comes in really handy, I will ferment around 68-74F. That should make a nice clean brew.

This beer has finally aged to being pretty darn good. If you look at start date (12-20-2012) and its now (3-4-2013) thats 2 plus months and I think its now done changeing. It came out pretty good but next time I'll add more BB extract as the flavor is on the faint side, but its a good wheat beer anyway so no worries. I added this post cause someone was talking about beer being done and ready to consume a week after fermentation ended. I'm not saying anybody is wrong this is just my findings and to say if your beer is not what you expected 2 weeks after fermentation just give it more time and see what happens. Homebrew needs time in my opinion."
Offline Bushy  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 5:08:53 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi heeler, I've been brewing beer for quite awhile now and have found the same thing to be true, especially with dark beers. Age can change the flavor dramaticly.

I brew mainly Ales and Stouts also a few Porters. I've never done a Pilsner as I have'nt tasted one I really like, not that they taste bad but just not my style. At first I could'nt hardly wait for them to carbonate in fact I bought a keg unit so I would'nt have to wait. Then I left some sitting for a couple of months and when I came back to it the taste was a lot better than the first one I cracked open 2 weeks after bottling.

I belong to a brewing club and we are getting ready to taste a batch that we barreled last November. Should be interesting.
Offline heeler  
#14 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 5:26:50 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Ahhhh I wish we had a club around here but oh well.....I did a chocolate porter last summer and it came out like a Guiness, dont know if its supposed to be that way but it was ok. Its so danged hot here all the time I have been trying to get a lite beer that suits my flavor buds for the summer but I just cant get the one I want.
I did a clone of Lieny the summer shandy thats got a lemonade flavor to it last year and it tasted nothing like the original but I'll keep trying. Over on the Homebrewtalk site there are lots of recipes and everybody that adds one says....this is the best one ever!!!!!! I've copied several and none have been the best ever but all tastes are different I guess. If I ever stumble across the one and only clone that makes me warm and fuzzy I'm gonna make 10 cases of it I think but damn I'll have $1000 in by then. Oh well I still enjoy the process and most of the beers I make so at least I have that going for me. If you have a lite recipe that is the one would you mind passing it on, again its toooooo hot in Florida for the heavies but the Buds-Heinnys-and Liennys go down pretty easy."
Offline Bushy  
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 07, 2013 8:13:56 PM(UTC)
Bushy

I'll see what I can come up with. We just emptied our barrel and are going to brew again this Sunday, so I'll talk to some of the folks and see what's out there that you may like. I'm more into Ales and Stouts and it sounds like you could really use a pilsner or maybe a cherry wheat ale.
Offline heeler  
#16 Posted : Friday, March 08, 2013 2:27:18 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Ok thanks, I try to stay with the ales too just because the time it takes to lager is really a long time for me, I CAN lager, and I do like lager beers but its just too time consuming so I'll just stick to the ales for now.
I discovered that Bud and several others use mostly rice in their brews and to me that addition of the rice adjunct in homebrew makes it taste soured/yucky and really unpleasent ot me. Today there are so many to try that its pretty much NOT cheaper to homebrew anymore by the time you cook everyone and find the one you want. Now thats where the brew club comes in to play I bet. Everybody picks one and we all get a taste, sounds like the way to go."
Offline Bushy  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:17:09 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Hey heeler, when makeing beer do you prefer to mash grains or use dry malt? It will make a difference in which recipee I give you.

The club meets every month and there is always 4 or 5 beers to try out. We had a meeting at the cooperage where our barrel was being made to watch the engraving of the head, we had 15 different beers there to try out. It was a very good time.
Offline heeler  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:04:07 AM(UTC)
heeler

"That does sound like a good time. I've actually never done a DME only beer. Lots of kits are LME and some steeping grains or DME and some steeping grains. Of course the AG kits are the cats meow to me cause they have already figgered out the grain ratio's to make em work, so by saying that you can tell I've never concocted my own beer recipe.
I just ordered a Speckled Heifer AG. I did one of these a while ago and it was pretty ok so I thought lets get one ready for the upcoming heatwave. If you've never done one its a yellow beer on the lighter side.
I would like to get a recipe that uses just DME or LME and very little hops addition. I really dont llike the IPA's. Just something easy to build confidence and make a easy drinking summer beer."
Offline Bushy  
#19 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:52:31 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi heeler, Well we had a few good beers at the meeting and I thought this one was pretty good. I haven't tried making it yet but I plan on doing so this weekend. It's an all DME recipee. I'll give you the recipee and we can compare notes.
It's very light on the hops. Sazz is one of my favorite light hops, a little spice flavor.

THE BEES KNEES

6 Lbs Light Malt, (wheat, Sparkling Amber, your choice) I'm useing Sparkling Amber

2 Lbs Light Honey, (Star Thistle, Clover, ?)

2 Oz Sazz Hops, (Boil)

1 Oz Sazz Hops, (Finish)

1-2 pks Ale yeast, (I use Nottingham Ale yeast it has a nice crisp finish)

Add: Malt, Honey, and Boiling Hops to 2 Gallons of water and boil for 1 hour.

Add: 1 Oz Sazz Finishing Hops in the last 2-5 minutes of boil.

Have enough cold water in fermenter to make 5 gallons total

When boil is done - remove hops bags and pour into fermenter.

Pitch yeast when wurt has cooled to 75 degrees. Lock and place lid on fermenter and let ferment till done.

Bottle or keg as you wish.
Offline heeler  
#20 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 5:14:29 AM(UTC)
heeler

Hey thanks so much Bushy, I'm gonna make a order on Monday and givera go.