logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cavan  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:17:38 AM(UTC)
cavan

Groups: Registered

"Hi I am brand new here and need instruction before I use the essential extracter I just obtained, it came second hand with-out instructions or any info can any one tell me or give me a link to photos or instructions for the hose hook up and placement/function of the ceramic raschigs or copper mesh and general use of what I believe is an essential extracter thank you in advance this forum looks like a good place for me to start
Rick"
Offline Outland  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:43:40 PM(UTC)
Outland

Welcome Maple leaf...
How are you going to heat it? I'm a propane guy. Scotty and others can help on heating plates and necessary controllers.
Hoses: whether pot or reflux distillation, the condenser always gets cooled so your main and coldest water should go to condenser. If you have the "split" connection with ball valve to the side, connect the side part to the column; I do it at the lowest connecter. Then you step-ladder up with the short tubes til the last connecter is empty The top connecter goes to output (waste or re-cycle) hose. On your condenser, Connect the straight through tube at bottom, out at top. If you reflux, then open valve on side to cool column, pot distill, close valve
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:16:26 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Give it a pretty french womans name or the product will be bad LOL. More advice from others will follow :)
Offline Bushy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2012 11:34:27 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi cavan, For your cooling water hook ups on the column you want to go in at the top and out at the bottom. The purpose being you want the coldest water at the top in order to stabilize the fractions in your column. If you hook up from bottom to top it will create a turbulance in the column and disrupt stabilization of the vapors, making it harder to seperate the heads from the hearts, from the tails.
For the condenser you want to hook it up, in at the bottom out at the top, in order to create a cooling path that gets colder towards the output end.
I use two pumps, one for the column and one for the condenser. John Barleycorn wrote a good description on how to use the ball valve to control the water flow with just one pump.
You will want the coldest water going to the column first then then to the condenser. You need to control the column temp for a good reflux. The condenser will work just fine with the water coming off the column as long as your water source is cold enough to begin with.