logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Hogfish  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:49:43 AM(UTC)
Hogfish

Groups: Registered

"I am a newbee, but have been doing a lot of homework wanting to produce a mild smooth sipping whiskey and want to try a wheat and flaked oat recipie so this is what i am going to try. Please offer advise.

for a 5 gallon wash:

6 lbs of cracked malted white wheat
2 lbs of flaked oats
5 lbs of sugar
1 juice of lemon
3 beno tablets
teaspoon of DAP
teaspoon of epsom salt
jug spring water
1 pack E 1118

heat 2 gallons of water to 155 and add sugar, lemon juice, epsom salt, DAP sturr untill disolved. add grains making sure temp is 150. sturr for 10 minutes, put in cooler leave overnight, transfer to fermentor add the rest of spring water, make sure temp is below 90 and pitch yeast. wait for 15 minuted and stur in to get water oxiginated. push cap down daily if forms.

wait untill it is dry, and has settled, then rack off, distill, age, oak, and enjoy.

any comments or thought?"
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:48:31 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hi Hogfish,

Wheat and oats sounds very tasty!

Just a few thoughts ...

If you're using wheat malt you might want to just do a normal mash with the flaked oats before you add all of that other stuff ... and mash it for 90 minutes or so ... you'll probably get better efficiency.

If you get ""average"" mash efficiency from the wheat and oats, and you add all of that sugar your gravity should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.090 ... which is higher than I would shoot for ... but the EC-1118 will be able to handle that without any troubles.

EC-1118 wouldn't be my first choice for a whiskey ... but I've never tried it for a whiskey ... so I'll be curious to hear if you got the flavor you were shooting for.

Please let us know how you make out. It sounds like a tasty and straight forward recipe.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline mbz250sl  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:08:09 PM(UTC)
mbz250sl

Mr barleycorn - what do you recommend for yeast - I'm a creature of habit and tend to stick with the 1118 as it works well - but I do need to mix it up bit - looking for yeast suggestions that I can get easily at the local home brew shop - thanks
Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:55:01 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hi mbz,

Stick with your tried and true ... go with the EC 1118. It can be your baseline yeast. Then when some other yeast catches your eye you'll be able to compare.

BTW: I just stumbled across this the other day ... handy ... and some food for thought:

http://www.whitelabs.com...ion_Worksheet_Poster.pdf

Regards,
--JB"
Offline halfbaked  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:42:59 AM(UTC)
halfbaked

From what I understand EC 1118 is better suited for sugars in fruit not grain. I am not saying it won't work. US-04, US-05, Notingham, WLP023 Burton might work better for you depending on your taste and the fermenting temps.
Offline RCRed  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:49:58 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Another suggestion to consider is the Prestige WD w/AG yeast - it works really well on grain/sf's (or has has so far)... Cool

JB - thanks for that link!!
Offline Gravelier  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:08:07 PM(UTC)
Gravelier

Hey Hogfish

I'm not saying its right, only saying that it works for me. I prefer the taste of corn, so I have been doing a 50/50 mix of corn and white wheat. I got the info originally from JB and have been using alpha amylase from Brewhaus for conversion of the corn and wheat starches. I'm on the cheap, in that I have to pay for sugar, and I get all the grain I need for free. So I do 100% corn and wheat, no sugar. What I end up with is similar to UJSSM (Uncle Jessys Simply Sour Mash) except that I get all of the sugars from conversion of the starches in the corn and wheat. I end up at about 7.5 to 8% ABV in the mash, and I use rapid rise bread yeast. I ferment on the grain. I have to stir the mass down a couple times a day for the first 2 or 3 days and then once a day for the next 2 or 3 days. Usually within 5 or 6 days, it is done. The final SG is usually less than 1.000. I don't add any yeast nutrients and anything else. The yeast gets everything it needs from the grain. After all, the bread yeast is designed to work on wheat flour. You add a little sugar to the bread for the yeasts to work on. Apparently it likes the corn sugar.

G.