logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline fatboylo  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 7:08:15 AM(UTC)
fatboylo

Groups: Registered

Hey I was wondering, I have never used Turbo Yeast and decided to on a batch. I purchased Alcotec-48. Reading the instructions it says not to use an air lock. Doese this procedure sound right with any of you folks who has used a Turbo Yeast in the Past? Any help thanks.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 9:09:19 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I never used it either. The only reason I could imagine is that the CO2 production will blow the airlock off. If the fermentation is that vigorous you won't need an airlock until it slows down ... the nasties won't be able to get in.
Offline fatboylo  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 9:46:19 AM(UTC)
fatboylo

"
Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
I never used it either. The only reason I could imagine is that the CO2 production will blow the airlock off. If the fermentation is that vigorous you won't need an airlock until it slows down ... the nasties won't be able to get in.

Thanks JBC, I have never used it but this alcotec-48 is suppose to deliver 14 % in 2 days and 20 in 5. We'll see. I just started it a couple hours ago and man its gettin after it. I wasn't sure about the air lock so I went ahead and used one with a minimum amount of water in it just enough to seal. Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it ghoes!"
Offline chy46  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 10:41:41 AM(UTC)
chy46

used trubo yeast all the time just cover your bache with a towel or something that will be loose on it.
Offline makeet  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 11:52:37 AM(UTC)
makeet

It's ferments so crazy, nothing can get in. I just rested my lid on top. After 48 hours I put on an airlock, but it's still bubbling, just more like beer or something.
Offline Coldwolf  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 08, 2012 3:50:33 PM(UTC)
Coldwolf

I myself use a venting tube when using turbo it rocks right along and no blow outs as of yet
Offline Mercerks  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 08, 2012 4:50:38 PM(UTC)
Mercerks

I've used the alotec before. I used the airock and ran a type out of the top to vent outside. It will stink up the place if you don't.
Offline fatboylo  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 08, 2012 6:47:29 PM(UTC)
fatboylo

Originally Posted by: Mercerks Go to Quoted Post
I've used the alotec before. I used the airock and ran a type out of the top to vent outside. It will stink up the place if you don't.

I'm about 36 hrs in and no smell so far (knock on wood) Now let me tell ya'll what I mixed up! I was thinking tired of the same ole thing what if.......lol I took 10lbs of sugar, 2lbs of brown sugar, 1 can of pineapple concentrate and 2 limes.......well we'll see. Chugging right along can't wait to see what happens.....
Offline Mercerks  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 12:56:50 AM(UTC)
Mercerks

That sound good, please inform on progress and outcome
Offline scotty  
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 1:50:23 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

what size is the batch and what was the starting SG??
Offline fatboylo  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 3:22:02 AM(UTC)
fatboylo

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
what size is the batch and what was the starting SG??

Its a 5 gal batch. It only took about 4 gal of h2o. SG started right at 1.115. I'll let ya'll know in a day or two right now its still really getting at it. Hoping some of that pinapple carries over. Wink

Cracked the lid on the ole fermenter and yep, smells like pineapple, sure hope some of it carries over!
Offline NCSpirit  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:21:24 PM(UTC)
NCSpirit

I've used Alcotec and Turbo Pure 48, both are great at fermenting thin wash. I have one percolating right now, actually. I was a little put off by the "don't use an air lock" warning too. If you're doing a sugar wash which doesn't foam up (to a great degree), it really doesn't matter, the air lock will bubble like crazy for the first two days then settle down to a normal pace. As others have said, its a real ego boost to see the airlock in a rolling boil for the first two days. I do find the washes hard to clear though. I rack off to the secondary and use a clearing agent like gelatin, sparkaloid or polyclar and most work within 3 to 5 days. I use a pot for my runs, consequently if it's not clear, the first run is really yeasty/nasty, but then again for thin wash I always do a second spirit run and polish with carbon. This time I tried adding Still Spirits Turbo Carbon to see if it actually helps clean up the wash or is a gimmick to squeeze another $3 out of us newbe nano distillers....we will see.

Would love to know how your batch turns out.
Offline fatboylo  
#13 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 1:12:33 AM(UTC)
fatboylo

Originally Posted by: NCSpirit Go to Quoted Post
I've used Alcotec and Turbo Pure 48, both are great at fermenting thin wash. I have one percolating right now, actually. I was a little put off by the "don't use an air lock" warning too. If you're doing a sugar wash which doesn't foam up (to a great degree), it really doesn't matter, the air lock will bubble like crazy for the first two days then settle down to a normal pace. As others have said, its a real ego boost to see the airlock in a rolling boil for the first two days. I do find the washes hard to clear though. I rack off to the secondary and use a clearing agent like gelatin, sparkaloid or polyclar and most work within 3 to 5 days. I use a pot for my runs, consequently if it's not clear, the first run is really yeasty/nasty, but then again for thin wash I always do a second spirit run and polish with carbon. This time I tried adding Still Spirits Turbo Carbon to see if it actually helps clean up the wash or is a gimmick to squeeze another $3 out of us newbe nano distillers....we will see.

Good Morning all. Well it's over. Made the run and ended up with some real fine tasting hooch, about 3 qts, but, no Pineapple. Shucky darn. Had a real full bodied flavor, boarderline of almost a sweet hint at the end but no Pineapple carry over. Now my curiousity has been satisfied.
Offline scotty  
#14 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 1:45:52 AM(UTC)
scotty

I use extracts to make my runs look professional.
Offline heeler  
#15 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:07:30 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"When I tried to get a flavor careover I failed too. I'm pretty sure for that to happen you should really push the heat (boil the piss out of your wash) turn it up and push it hard------or add a gin basket to your tower, which carries the vapor through whatever fruit you add to it.
I did that too with coconut once, and it did add a LITTLE flavor somewhat??? The gin basket thingy I mean and I didn't think it was all that great. Like Scotty mentioned, I too found that the after the fact essence addition was the better to go.
I guess with a goose neck tower and and a fruity wash with the pushing power of high heat you could force the flavor to come over. I couldn't make it happen and make it paletable too, but I could have been doing wrong.
But dont give up try er again and good luck."
Offline shovelhead91701  
#16 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 3:34:44 AM(UTC)
shovelhead91701

While I have never used the Alcotec I have used the Turbo 48 that Rick sells and I have never had a problem with clearing naturally. I do let it sit until it clears though and that takes upwards of a week sometimes. I have some Sparkalloid but I haven't used it yet. I am just not in a hurry I guess.
Offline heeler  
#17 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:56:43 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: fatboylo Go to Quoted Post
Its a 5 gal batch. It only took about 4 gal of h2o. SG started right at 1.115. I'll let ya'll know in a day or two right now its still really getting at it. Hoping some of that pinapple carries over. Wink

Cracked the lid on the ole fermenter and yep, smells like pineapple, sure hope some of it carries over!

Well that sounds like a Pineapple brandy of sorts, I bet if you lighlty grill some pineapple slices and then make a caramelized liquid sugar base and soak or macerate the slices in some 120 proof it might perc up the flavor a little. Thats how I made peach/mango brandy."
Offline old stump juicer  
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 1:14:07 AM(UTC)
old stump juicer

I've just finished a sugar wash with Alcotec and used my airlock with no problems whatever.
I didn't wait for it to clear because my nephew was visiting from Houston and wanted some to take home, ran full reflux and was fair tasting.
Offline NCSpirit  
#19 Posted : Saturday, June 01, 2013 12:00:41 AM(UTC)
NCSpirit

Originally Posted by: NCSpirit Go to Quoted Post

Follow up since the last post. The Turbo Carbon did clean up the taste of the wash but didn't notice a big diff once it was polished. One thing I was surprised with however was the polyclar. I had used it a couple times before and it did okay. This time I followed the instructions (duh!) and let it sit in my garage a couple extra days and cold nights and sweet Jesus the carboy was crystal clear. The finished product turned out great. Next time will skip the turbo carbon and let it clear for a couple extra days. To all my fellow newbies, keep a journal!!! It's a great way to repeat a recipe when you get it right.Cool