logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Thewife  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2012 4:03:10 AM(UTC)
Thewife

Groups: Registered

I would like to get my husband a still for Christmas - but have little knowledge regarding the best option. He's an avid brewer and is really excited about this. We looked at a beautiful unit at bob's homebrewing supply in seattle but apparently there is another system he wants??? He told me about it but alas my eyes glazed over and I can't recall much other than it costs around $500 :). Can someone give me some info on what systems are available in that price range for a home distiller? Thanks!
Offline Maddawgs  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2012 4:20:53 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Thewife Go to Quoted Post
I would like to get my husband a still for Christmas - but have little knowledge regarding the best option. He's an avid brewer and is really excited about this. We looked at a beautiful unit at bob's homebrewing supply in seattle but apparently there is another system he wants??? He told me about it but alas my eyes glazed over and I can't recall much other than it costs around $500 :). Can someone give me some info on what systems are available in that price range for a home distiller? Thanks!

Hi,
I would recommend the Brewhaus PS2 HC. This is a very good still in the $400 range and can be used as a top quality reflux still or a very good pot still. it is like getting 2 still for one price.
Maddawgs
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:56:53 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

Agree with maddawgs. Click on the BREWHAUS icon at the top of the page and it will take you to the retail store where you can check out all the offerings. I would upgrade to the 15gal premium kettle.
Thats a sweet gift. Sounds like your hubby has a cool wife. BigGrin
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 4:36:28 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

My only regret is that i did not get the 15 gallon boiler. One can run 8 gallon batches in the 15 gallon but not the reverse

PS HAVE 1 OF 1 INCH NPT COUPLING INSTALLED FOR ELECTRIC HEATING ELEMENTS
Offline Fusefinder  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:32:48 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"I have the ""Brewhaus Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity- Complete Distiller"" I ordered the 8 gallon premium kettle with a 1"" NPT coupling welded for an internal heater. I love it, the size works well for the free time I have and the wash sizes I run...but for just $75 more I would probably get the 15 gallon if I were to do it again. Its a nice unit, works very well. He will be proud to show it off...to that close circle of friends!

I did replace the chemical tolerant tube with a 30"" or so 1/2"" copper line with a slight bend and a 1/2""-3/8"" copper reducer at the top. This slides just over the discharge spout and drips perfectly right at the brim of a pint size mason jar."
Offline Maddawgs  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:46:22 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Fusefinder Go to Quoted Post
I have the "Brewhaus Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity- Complete Distiller" I ordered the 8 gallon premium kettle with a 1" NPT coupling welded for an internal heater. I love it, the size works well for the free time I have and the wash sizes I run...but for just $75 more I would probably get the 15 gallon if I were to do it again. Its a nice unit, works very well. He will be proud to show it off...to that close circle of friends!

I did replace the chemical tolerant tube with a 30" or so 1/2" copper line with a slight bend and a 1/2"-3/8" copper reducer at the top. This slides just over the discharge spout and drips perfectly right at the brim of a pint size mason jar.

X2 on this, I got the 15 gal boiler with 2 npt fittings-I would highly recommend

Maddawgs
Offline jgram  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:03:19 PM(UTC)
jgram

I went with the PSII HC last year with the 8 Gal premium kettle. Just the right size for me and works flawless. If he does not have a heat source think about the NTP fittings for extra $. I use a hotplate but wish I would have had one put in for versatility.

JGRAM
Offline cczero  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:26:28 PM(UTC)
cczero

I wish my wife was as energetic as you. The PSII is great. I have the 8 gallon kettle which is fine for what I do but maybe the bigger one would be better suited for you husband. It's reasonable and would easily make it there for X-Mas. Merry Christmas. I'm sure your husband won't be disappointed with whatever you purchase.
Offline scotty  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:21:50 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

My boiler is 8 gallons and has 1 npt fitting- i really wish i had gotten the 15 gallon boiler with 2 fittings--the fittings are easily plugged if not usung 1 or both

I see i am repeating mysely
SORRY