logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Enigmarog  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2012 11:19:36 PM(UTC)
Enigmarog

Groups: Registered

"Hi all!

Am a newB and am very much in the learning phase. Currently using Turbo yeast for my wash recipes, (25L volumes), simply cos it's simple and convenient BUT...am interested in using other yeasts, bakers yeast etc and getting away from the commercial 'kit' set-ups. I've trawled this and other forums and have heaps of info but am still a little confused with Energisers, Yeast Nutrients etc as everyone seems to do something slightly different. That said it's hard to get past the convenience of it all in a single packet so...my question...if one was going to make the equivalent of their own 'one-packet Turbo yeast' for a 25L wash including all the goodies, what would be the recipe? I thought it'd be good to make a few packets up & throw in the fridge for convenience!

Thanks heaps!"
Offline badbill2  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 3:19:19 AM(UTC)
badbill2

Pure sugar mash is hard to beat turbo yeast. Grains and fruits normally respond to bakers yeast with a little tomato paste, a few banana skins and maybe one lime or lemon.
Offline Enigmarog  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 9:41:00 PM(UTC)
Enigmarog

Thx bill!! I suspect that's the direction I'll go & stay in purely for convenience sake...be nice to experiment around a little bit though! Appreciate your feedback!
Offline ratflinger  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 4:20:39 AM(UTC)
ratflinger

IMHO Turbos offer too many chances for off flavors. By using a single strain yeast, EC1118, bakers, distiller's, etc. one has far more control. By adding the nutrients yourself, you can adjust the flavor profile and fermentation speed.
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 4:39:32 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

It really depends on what characteristics of turbos you are looking to emulate. Turbos are known for two things.
1. Fast fermentation
2. High alcohol tolerance.

The first is fairly easy to replicate. If you look at the content size of turbo yeast and its intended size of wash and compare it to a pack of ec-1118 you quickly realize that even with the added nutrients in the turbos, the turbo is a huge yeast dose. A similar size dose of a different type of yeast can perform at close to the same rapid rate. Whether this is actually a desirable trait maybe debatable though.

The second is harder to replicate. Different yeast strains have different tolerance to alcohol. Choosing a champagne strain can get you close and produce up to around 14% in a single ferment. Others have had success by adding sugar in stages to increase the alcohol content. Personally I feel like if i staged it and it took weeks to ferment to say 18% its a waste of time since i could have easily finished two 10-12% washes in the same time frame and ended up with more finished product. But thats a matter of personal opinion.
Offline Fusefinder  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:19:22 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

For my straight sugar washes I use Distillers Active Dry Yeast (DADY) seems to work well. Runs in the 14% range without off flavors. Current run should finish out at 17%, I tried pushing the limits just to see what happens, will report back once its done.
BTW I give them plenty of time to finish, my last run finished at 13.93 % it was 30 days start to finally able to run it, it was the smoothest best tasting yet!
I keep 2 or more washes going at once staggered, so time waiting is never an issue, free time to run them is my issue.