logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Short Shot  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2012 8:16:53 AM(UTC)
Short Shot

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
"Hi everyone,

I'm slowly bringing everything together for my first experience at making some 'shine. The only thing I've ever brewed in my life was coffee and now I'm looking for something a little stronger.

I bought a 5 gal. boiler with a 11/2""x15"" reflux column, I didn't realize at the time that a 5 gal. wash wouldn't fit into a 5 gal. boiler because it would be too full.....well, it is what it is.

Anyway, I've tried to find a simple way to do a cleaning run on this forum and I haven't located the info. I don't like what the manufacture suggested and I'm hoping to find some easier way.

Also, I drilled a lot of holes into a 1/8"" flat steel plate in hopes that it will make a decent diffuser for my propane burner.

As usual any info would be appreciated."
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2012 10:44:18 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

what reflux rig is 15 inches high???
Offline shovelhead91701  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2012 10:49:24 AM(UTC)
shovelhead91701

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
what reflux rig is 15 inches high???

Thought you were on vacation! ;-)

Don't think drilling the holes was really necessary for the steel plate. The kettle should get even heat just from seperating the flame fro the kettle itself IMO.
For my first cleaning runs I actually physically cleaned everything with scrub brushes that I could get to and then did 2 runs of 1/2 gal. white vinegar mixed with 1/2 gal H2O.
I am thinking about running some diluted cheap vodka through mine for the first drinking run to get the hang of it without messing up my wash I have going right now.
Offline Short Shot  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2012 11:02:16 AM(UTC)
Short Shot

Hey, I'm new at this, I was measuring the 11/2 of the column, if I measured the total height it would be about 19" from the top of the dome to the first elbow of 1/2" copper. I just assumed the 11/2" was the reflux part. I guess I have a long way to go.
Offline Short Shot  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2012 11:05:03 AM(UTC)
Short Shot

I like the idea of using white vinegar and water but I was feeling like a tight wad about putting in the cheap vodka.....I assume it was to be thrown away.
Offline Bushy  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2012 11:17:11 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi Short Shot, the 50/50 vinegar and water run is all you really should need to do. I would wash it out first with soap and water like Shovelhead says, then do your V/W run.
Most of your reflux still columns are at least 36 inches tall and 2 inches around and have a means of cooling the top of the column to create the reflux action not just cooling the condenser. It sounds to me like you have a pot still which is a great way to start learning. My first one was a pot still I made with a pressure cooker with a 1 inch column about 15-16 inches tall worked great.
Offline Short Shot  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2012 12:01:12 PM(UTC)
Short Shot

"Thanks Bushy'
My still was purchased from 'Rocky Top Stills' and I was going to post a photo but I'm not smart enough to figure it out yet, I'm too used to making attachments by clicking on the 'browse' button. Anyway, it does have a condenser that needs water lines connected to it.
I'm sure you can find a photo of it faster by checking out the above name .com
Again it is a 5 gal. unit. I hope I didn't waste too much money....."
Offline Bushy  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2012 12:41:50 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Hey Short Shot no reason to beat on yourself. That still will be fine for a starter unit.
The unit is a pot still. There is no way to cool the top of the column and create a total reflux. You can acheive some reflux by putting some copper mesh in the column. Don't roll it to tightly, just tight enough to keep it from falling out. I'd say about 1 foot of mesh should be about right for a 1 1/2" pipe, give or take a little. Anyway with 15" you should be able to get 2 rolls in easily maybe 3.
I suggest you get used to it by running it as a pot still. Bring it close to boil then you run it as slow as you can, turn the heat down. The vapors will start to come off before it boils and the longer you can keep it simmering the better your run will be.
Make sure to throw out the first 100ml and collect no more than 250ml in a single jar.
Offline Short Shot  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2012 1:08:58 PM(UTC)
Short Shot

"OK, I'm a little embarrassed for thinking I have a reflux instead of a pot, I guess it all makes sense once it's pointed out to me. Now I'll just make the most of it and practice enough to get a better understanding of what is really happening.

I really do appreciate the input and it's best to have a solid foundation to build on.

Thanks again."
Offline Crabby Krausen  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2012 11:48:06 PM(UTC)
Crabby Krausen

I checked out that copper tower== thats a beautifull pot rig for my eyes-- i still like at least 4 feet for my reflux tower. I have a brewhaus pot still that i purchased a few years back and i only use my PSII as a reflux. Not for any reason except i have the 2 towers. I still have the 2 inch tower that i purchased a few years back. I think about converting it to something but cant come up with an idea