logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline basket maker  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:18:06 AM(UTC)
basket maker

Groups: Registered

"i have a burr mill and can grind corn. can i use corn meal without using malted corn too? if i use corn meal do i add sugar too.?

i built a still last winter from a 16 gal ss keg, using a hot water heater element for heat and put a thermometer about 1/2 way up. put a reflux tower on top full of marbles. this seems to work fine with a sugar wash, but i want to add corn too to get a little flavor, will the reflux tower kill any flavor departed by the corn?
sorry for the many questions , but igornance abounds in my barn.

basket maker"
Offline Hokey  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:08:22 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi basket maker. Welcome to a great site. I am fairly new but I have made a corn meal wash and used sugar along with it. I believe if you do not use malted grains

(corn etc.) or sugar the starches in the corn meal cannot be fermented by the yeast. If used with sugar corn meal does add flavor. As far as the reflux tower, if you

are able just take out some of the packing and do not run any cooling thru the tower and therefore no reflux action and it will basically act as a pot still and the

flavor will carry over.

Keep shinin' and be safe
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:22:40 PM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

You will get more flavour out of it by adding at least some malt. Popcorn Suttons recipe simply used liquid malt extract* with corn meal and sugar. I have mashed using corn and malted grains and then upped the abv% potential with sugar. Some say just corn will add flavour and others claim that corn with slowly convert by itself at room temp especially when reused (think USJM).

*whether liquid extract contains enough active enzymes for mashing has been hotly debated here before and i'm not looking to open it up again. Either way it does make a great flavour modifier.
Offline shovelhead91701  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:00:20 PM(UTC)
shovelhead91701

all of the yeasts that I have purchased so far say that they have the nutrients for the yeast in them already. That seems to simplify it some for me on sugar washes. On the grains though I believe the malteds are necessary to break down the grain sugars.
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:28:24 PM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

Originally Posted by: shovelhead91701 Go to Quoted Post
all of the yeasts that I have purchased so far say that they have the nutrients for the yeast in them already. That seems to simplify it some for me on sugar washes. On the grains though I believe the malteds are necessary to break down the grain sugars.

yes if you want to convert the starch in the grain to sugar available for the yeast to convert to alcohol then you need some kind of malt and you need to mash you grain-aka cook and then hold at a specific temp while adding your malt to allow for conversion of said starches.