logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline shovelhead91701  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:52:45 AM(UTC)
shovelhead91701

Groups: Registered

I just wanted to put this out there. Quite a while ago in my younger Army days I was quite the whiskey imbiber.Wink Nowadays I find that I actually don't even drink more than maybe two or three times a year. My question I guess is this: How many others on here have actually migrated to this hobby without a desire for the end product as much as for the adventure of fabricating something simple yet complex at the same time. Also the science of the process itself is of huge interest to me. Or maybe I'm the only one and the rest of ya'll are just straight-up alchy's? ConfusedBigGrinBigGrin Feel free to beat me up on this one! lol
Offline squerly  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:08:40 AM(UTC)
squerly

I'm facinated with the process and I'm proud of the results. I actually give most of it away but I do keep some for myself... you know, just in case... :)
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:19:04 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

i cant stand whiskey-- i have a few oficial testers-- the southern comfort may change my mind though
Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:40:46 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi Shovelhead,

It was on my bucket list. I remember my grandfather making hooch and figured it was a part of my heritage I suppose ... so I convinced myself that it was my cultural duty to learn how to make some myself. Wink And you're absolutely spot on ... it is truly fascinating.

Since I started the hobby, i do drink more often but I drink less. I never drank that much to begin with ... but I like to try spirits that I've never tasted before when the opportunity presents itself. So I'm much less interested in "tying one on with the lads" than I am in evaluating new flavors and such. I'm sure getting older has something to do with my lack of interest in drunken brawls as well.Wink

I've also found that (I believe) I have more compelling arguments for the kids with respect to respecting alcohol. I hope that I've convinced them that chugging beer and doing shots is for fools who don't appreciate what they're consuming. I tell them that doing those things is just a waste of perfectly good beer/booze ... like throwing filet mignon to dogs ... that they should enjoy it, savor it, but never be sheepish enough to abuse it.

Ok .. so I'm a nerd ... but in my book, the drinking part just tells me what I need to do better the next time. I leave the volume consumption for my brothers and cousins.

--JB
Offline shovelhead91701  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:20:30 AM(UTC)
shovelhead91701

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post

I've also found that (I believe) I have more compelling arguments for the kids with respect to respecting alcohol. I hope that I've convinced them that chugging beer and doing shots is for fools who don't appreciate what they're consuming. I tell them that doing those things is just a waste of perfectly good beer/booze ... like throwing filet mignon to dogs ... that they should enjoy it, savor it, but never be sheepish enough to abuse it.

--JB

I agree 100 %! I grew up in a house where no one drank, no one even mentioned alcohol unless it was to demonize it and when I grew up I went crazy until I got old enough to know better. I want my kids to grow up seeing people enjoy a gathering of folks who can have a drink or two and not show their arses. My hope is that they will never feel the need to binge drink etc. if it isn't such a taboo as it was when I was growing up.
Offline Maddawgs  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:03:03 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

I'm a drinker. Not really whiskey, most vodka. We have a basement bar, a liquor area in the dining room, and a travel bar in the motor home. I have at least one drink 2 or 3 days of the week and two or 3 on a weekend day when were with friends. My reason for getting into it was to save cash. I figure if I make enough to restock all 3 then I will have saved enough to pay for the PS2HC. So far loving the hobby.
Maddawgs
Offline dddjr  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:32:13 PM(UTC)
dddjr

I pretty much don't drink maybe a glass or 2 of something once a year if I was Lucky, in my younger years I was a whiskey and tequila drinker, my first time getting actual drinkable product last weekend I gave most away kept 2 qts, one of those went into apple pie which I gave away execpt for 2 quarts lol ,, the other quart ive been experimenting on infusing different flavors after distilling process ,, I'm more interested by the whole process and what I can create than I am with drinking the finished product, I got plenty of drinkers in family to do that for me lol
Offline boxholland  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 07, 2013 9:24:03 PM(UTC)
boxholland

I thoughoughly enjoy the benefits of the final product.Wink

Although I'm new at distilling I pretty much am a DIY kind of person. Distilling itself seemed a little more complex at the beginning, but it is rather easy once you get the gist of it.
I'm really going to enjoy trying out the different flavors and aging techniques that will appeal to my pallette.

I've done a couple Sweetfeed so far, and am about to try out a corn recipe that is doing fantastic right now in the carboy.

I'm not much of a Vodka guy, I like whiskeys and bourbons and I drink it straight.
Offline Crypt  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 10:00:29 AM(UTC)
Crypt

I taste the product a sip here and a sip there, but to actually sit and get drunk on it? I never have. I've been making my own spirits for about a year and have quite a supply of it (about 10 gallons) stored away aging. The majority of it though I give away.

People like the apple pie, the Jamaican rum and the Kristmas kool-aid I make out of the spirits.

Kristmas kool-aid - 1/2 gallon of 101 proof spirits. 3 tablespoons of peppermint extract, 4 to 6 cups of sugar (depends on taste) red food coloring to turn it all Christmas like. Add all ingredients in a pot, heat to a slight boil. Let it cool and bottle it up. Folks love it, it'll warm ya on a cold day thats for sure.

Jamaican rum - 1 quart of 130 proof spirits. two slices of fresh of pineapple, one piece of whole clove, 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla or a couple of vanilla beans, a small piece of cinnamon bark, 5 peppercorns, one cup of sugar heated til almost burnt, a pinch of nutmeg and a pinch of allspice. Bring all to a slight boil, let cool, put in mason jar and let sit in cool dark place for a couple of months. Once it has set for a couple of months, strain all the solids out of it, cut it down to 80/90 proof with good water and bottle it up. Makes a good spiced rum. Capt. Morgan ain't got nothin on this stuff!