logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline scotty  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 4:27:59 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"I was just riding my mobility scooter around the park and a buddy stopped me and started a conversation about making hooch. All sorts of questions--brandy-- southern comfort--and others. I have a helper and a trainee now.

I guess that mad dawg is not the only one getting folks interested in hoochin lol"
Offline muadib2001  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 5:25:41 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

Groups: Registered

Teach me, Obi-Wan! You're my only hope! :)
Offline Maddawgs  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 5:32:58 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Hey Scotty,
It's funny that "moonshiners" show is what got me interested. After all the research I've done I now know that it is a perfect example of everything you should not do. I'm surprised that idiot tickle is not dead. I'm sure that drunken fall onto Tim's truck hurt like hell. It is an interesting show though. Scotty, you be careful and remember "DON'T TELL--DON'T SELL". Oh, it was you and the other experienced forum members who got me to sign up--see you had it and didn't even know it:)
Maddawgs
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 5:51:06 AM(UTC)
scotty

Originally Posted by: Maddawgs Go to Quoted Post
Hey Scotty,
It's funny that "moonshiners" show is what got me interested. After all the research I've done I now know that it is a perfect example of everything you should not do. I'm surprised that idiot tickle is not dead. I'm sure that drunken fall onto Tim's truck hurt like hell. It is an interesting show though. Scotty, you be careful and remember "DON'T TELL--DON'T SELL". Oh, it was you and the other experienced forum members who got me to sign up--see you had it and didn't even know it:)
Maddawgs

Ill be more carefull MD lol
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:49:41 PM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

The only thing legit on that show are the scenes used from the Popcorn Sutton documentary. And even that if you watch the actual documentary Popcorn admits its only the second time he has ever run likkor in the bush with a wood fire and he did it for the doc just to show how it used to be done.

I especially love the part of the show where they don't get enough shine, so they add some sugar and start running again. I mean, who needs to fermentation? Thats for suckers.RollEyes
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2012 2:33:51 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

"ain't nothing illegal til ya get caught" - Tickle
Offline Farmin in the woods  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 5:36:23 PM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

My best friend and i stumbled upon an ancient still site when in high school, and i've had the bug ever since! I got a copy of the Foxfire book that dealt with moonshining, but of course it sounded WAY to detailed and complex for a couple kids. Fast forward a couple decades and along came the internet and the reality show. I laughed at alot of the "DRAMA" generated by the show, but it was the show that pushed me over the edge and decided to try this out. The show is one i love to hate! The Popcorn video was fun and kinda interesting, but of little value, which I'm sure was the intent. But im sure they have all sparked interest in the hobby.

Farmin
Offline curtsat15  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 4:16:47 PM(UTC)
curtsat15

I've been interested since I saw my Grandma tear down her still when I was 6. Kinda forgot about it til I was about 14 when my grandparents auctioned off the farm. We were cleaning and sorting out stuff and came across a 40 year old 2 gallon wooden cask. Dad and Grandpa and me tapped it and WOW was that good $h1t! It had been sitting in a dark corner of the old tool shop off the back of the barn, forgotten for almost 4 decades. Had about 3/4 gallon in it. That was the BEST whiskey I have ever tasted in my life, and almost 30 years later, I will still swear to that! It was unburnt and untoasted, just a regular white oak barrel. And then I kinda forgot about it again. Fast forward about 15 years. My new bride and I take a trip to her aunt and uncle's. Her uncle is a homegrown Ukranian (Canadian version of a redneck). He has been running a still since he was about 8 years old. His Dad left him in charge while he was out on the trapline. He makes some of the best whiskey anywhere! That gave me a taste for it again. Now, about 10 years later though, as I get a little older (and I hope wiser) I had been watching "Moonshiners" and thought to myself "That don't seem quite right", and figured I COULD do it right. After much research, I see now that much of what is on that show is bullsquirt.
Results so far have been spectacular! Much thanks to all of you on this forum, you have been a source of wisdom, insight and inspiration! My friends and relatives that I have shared the fruits of my labor with, all agree to one degree or another. Some say it's the best whiskey they've never paid for. Some say it's the best they've ever had. Even the ones that don't like whiskey won't turn their noses up at it and usually come back for more (If there's any left!). Now, I know what I've been making is actually a "brandy" because I'm using apples, but I just call it whiskey. (Some of the friends and relatives are easily confused).
I feel, that as long as what I'm doing isn't harming anyone, and I am not blatantly breaking the law (DON'T TELL DON'T SELL), all is good.
Forgive my rant (so to speak). But that felt good to share!

HAPPY HOOCHIN!
Offline Maddawgs  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 2:00:28 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

OK, now who didn't tear up when Tickle sang Rudolph the red nosed reindeer. BigGrin
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 8:36:30 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

No offense but that show is really starting to piss me off. I know it's entertainment and not real, well part of it isn't real. The part that pisses me off the most is how the show shows them making a run of "shine" (two or three cases) and selling it for X amount of money. To me it's not about the money it's about the heritage and history of how moonshine was or is made, and I feel that the show has gone away from that. Then they show these two ass clowns in SC who can't even run their equipment. And who really gives a rip about a biker who hauls shine? where's the heritage behind that. They are making it about money and NOT the Moonshine heritage. The only folks on the show who maybe doing it right are the folks in NC with Jim Tom they appear to know what they are doing. Then ya got Steve (Tickle) who is about clueless to, other than drinking his budweiser. Then ya got Tim who still hasn't made any shine this season and using government tax payers funds to go diving for a car loaded with shine. oh lord. i'm gonna get off my soap box just wanted to rant for a minute. God i need a shot or two. come on 5 o'clock...
Offline Maddawgs  
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 2:40:50 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: johnnyapplepie Go to Quoted Post
No offense but that show is really starting to piss me off. I know it's entertainment and not real, well part of it isn't real. The part that pisses me off the most is how the show shows them making a run of "shine" (two or three cases) and selling it for X amount of money. To me it's not about the money it's about the heritage and history of how moonshine was or is made, and I feel that the show has gone away from that. Then they show these two ass clowns in SC who can't even run their equipment. And who really gives a rip about a biker who hauls shine? where's the heritage behind that. They are making it about money and NOT the Moonshine heritage. The only folks on the show who maybe doing it right are the folks in NC with Jim Tom they appear to know what they are doing. Then ya got Steve (Tickle) who is about clueless to, other than drinking his budweiser. Then ya got Tim who still hasn't made any shine this season and using government tax payers funds to go diving for a car loaded with shine. oh lord. i'm gonna get off my soap box just wanted to rant for a minute. God i need a shot or two. come on 5 o'clock...

Hi johnny ap,
Ok, take a deep breath and relax, have your shots (have one for me too):). There is nothing serious about that show. I view it as both a comedy and a perfect example of how not to do it (tickle is the comic relief). I think the producers figured this out and that is why the show is a bit different this season.
Maddawgs
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:40:39 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

I'll have to agree with you about their new approach. However to me it is funny and hardly about the main subject.

Originally Posted by: Maddawgs Go to Quoted Post
Hi johnny ap,
Ok, take a deep breath and relax, have your shots (have one for me too):). There is nothing serious about that show. I view it as both a comedy and a perfect example of how not to do it (tickle is the comic relief). I think the producers figured this out and that is why the show is a bit different this season.
Maddawgs
Offline halfbaked  
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:06:27 AM(UTC)
halfbaked

I like the show. That is the reason I am here on the forum. I do think that if it were real moonshine they were makn they all would be in jail. I bet its nothing but water. Its not illegal to distill water. I heard one of them say they couldn't say to much about the receipts for legal purposes. What do you think?
Offline heeler  
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:54:15 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Now we all know thats it against the law to distill likker for swillin or sellin but what we are all forgetting about --- its perfectly legal to distill ethanol fuel. The permit is free too.

Now with that in mind if you were gonna make a tv show about distillin and you had to be on the up/and/up would'nt it make sense to be legal with a permit-- act like idiots-- and call it something else, like makin moonshine? Think about it.........
Again, its all in the intertainment side of things and Tim does take you to a legal distillery........all of those folks could have the legal permit to make legal ethanol fuel, in the woods or in the barn, and they prolly do."
Offline widowmaker 66  
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:31:41 AM(UTC)
widowmaker 66

hey brother shiners ,were do i get the ethanol fuel permit in nys?? i do a few test runs a week and figure what the hell ,i should probablly get one. only takes one bad apple to get your tree cut down if ya get my drift..
Offline halfbaked  
#16 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 11:27:07 AM(UTC)
halfbaked

"Now that would be a good idea also. Probably even better than mine. Make money and get paid to be on TV and you have a smart one (Tim) that opens his own distillery. Who wouldn't buy his moonshine if you have ever watched the TV show (well if you didn't make your own). I went to
Gatlinburg TN and they make moonshine right on the street. No kidn you can see it taste it for free and buy it. There are 2 legal moonshine distillarys within 100 yards apart. They get $35 a quart for their stuff and it flies off the shelf. There mash smells the street up and they play hill billy music to get you to come over.

If you have a permit to make ethanol and do it and everyone sees it they if you drag equipt and change some things then no one would prob question anything. Just don't keep your stuff in same place."
Offline Bushy  
#17 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 6:23:59 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hey Widowmaker here's the website to get your permit for ethanol. It's a pain in the A$$ with all of the paper work and record keeping. Also with a permit the BATF has the right to inspect whenever they want to.

http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/spirits-permits.shtml
Offline Maddawgs  
#18 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 7:27:43 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Bushy Go to Quoted Post
Hey Widowmaker here's the website to get your permit for ethanol. It's a pain in the A$$ with all of the paper work and record keeping. Also with a permit the BATF has the right to inspect whenever they want to.

http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/spirits-permits.shtml

Plus there are a lot of site regs you have to follow. Seems to me to be a lot of work and a pain in the ass to go thru for just a cover story. Just follow the golden rule (DON'T TELL, DON'T SELL) and you should be fine.
Maddawgs
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#19 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 11:52:43 AM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: widowmaker 66 Go to Quoted Post
hey brother shiners ,were do i get the ethanol fuel permit in nys?? i do a few test runs a week and figure what the hell ,i should probablly get one. only takes one bad apple to get your tree cut down if ya get my drift..

http://www.ttb.gov/indus.../fuel-alcohol-faqs.shtml
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline muadib2001  
#20 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 1:51:39 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
its perfectly legal to distill ethanol fuel.

Wouldn't you need a reflux or fractionating column to make high enough proof to make it qualify for ethanol fuel?

All I see on the show is pot stills with (or without) a thumper or doubler. Is that enough to qualify?