logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Maddawgs  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 12:15:40 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Groups: Registered

Ok I probably don't have that right. My question is can I take the turbo yeast that comes with the Brewhaus fermentation kits and use it to start something like a yeast bank. Something I like a yeast colony that I can go back and use several times. I'm thinking something like a jar of water, some sugar, and some yeast. Not sure if I'm asking this right or not so any help would be great.
Thanks, Maddawgs
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 12:38:18 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"You sure can do that...I know several folks that wash and harvest yeast. I always wanted to but just have'nt yet. EVERY big likker company has a mother yeast jug that they go back to and contiue to feed and care for. I saw one that said the jug they were using was the original yeast family from the inseption of the bussiness, something like 80 years back. So if you can keep it in a comfy atmosphere and keep feeding it that just right nutrition it should go forever.
Me personally, I dont have the patience or the place for it and besides a pack of yeast is about 1$ I think.
If you make back/back washes you can just keep adding all the goodies to your fermenter and I bet you could use that seven or eight times before you need to freshen it up. Givera go and you tell us what works best."
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 12:47:39 AM(UTC)
scotty

Hey heeler-- i never use turbo but isnt the main reason that a turbo is a turbo--because the package has lots of extra ingredients with th yeast-- nutrient energizer or ????

I'm not saying that a turbo may mot be a special strain-- i really dont know.
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 12:56:29 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Ya know I dont use turbos that often, actually almost never anymore, but would the yeast eat all the nutrients in the starter or wort after a few times of yeasting back (dont know the right term for using it again) would'nt you have to add more after a time or two of regeneration?
I bet the fermenting action would use everything up and you would need to replenish the nutes - but I too am unsure. Thats my thinking anyway."
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 1:41:06 AM(UTC)
scotty

Again not knowing but a turbo to me would be a one shot deal then after that you get just yeast. Tollerance ????
Offline Maddawgs  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:17:23 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

This is a great forum. You ask one question and get a great discussion on the subject. The more I read the more I learn. Makes sense that the turbo would just burn thru everything. I'm thinking I'll just use the turbo stuff that comes with the kits for my first run after the cleaning runs are done. After that maybe try starting a bank with the ec1118. Now where do you get the ec1118, I did not see it on the bh site?
Thanks, Maddawgs
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:29:56 AM(UTC)
scotty

Originally Posted by: Maddawgs Go to Quoted Post
This is a great forum. You ask one question and get a great discussion on the subject. The more I read the more I learn. Makes sense that the turbo would just burn thru everything. I'm thinking I'll just use the turbo stuff that comes with the kits for my first run after the cleaning runs are done. After that maybe try starting a bank with the ec1118. Now where do you get the ec1118, I did not see it on the bh site?
Thanks, Maddawgs

Mad dawg-- i have been wanting to do that with 1118 for years---lets keep talking about it
Offline heeler  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:58:55 AM(UTC)
heeler

"According to video you can wash the goop out of your yeast and then keep it in the fridge for quite a while. Not sure how long it will stay dormant and viable but apparenlty quite awhile.

Oh and you can order ec-1118 Lalvin yeast off the internet.

Midwest Supply
Austin Homebrew Supply
Brewmonster
Brocks Homebrew Supply

most beer brewing sites sell it....."
Offline scotty  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:12:54 AM(UTC)
scotty

look for the price on 1118-- some sell it for $2--no good--.99 cents is the price i buy 12 at a time.
Offline Maddawgs  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:12:51 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Just watched the yeast videos over in oyeahyeah's video thread. Looks like you only need a pack or two of your favorite yeasts. Once you get a harvest bank going you are all set pretty cool. Oh and for us cheap bastards there was a video on how to make your own stir plate for $15 bucks at the end of the yeast starter video (thanks oyeahyeah).
Maddawgs
Offline MDH  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2012 7:08:34 AM(UTC)
MDH

"
Originally Posted by: Maddawgs Go to Quoted Post
Just watched the yeast videos over in oyeahyeah's video thread. Looks like you only need a pack or two of your favorite yeasts. Once you get a harvest bank going you are all set pretty cool. Oh and for us cheap bastards there was a video on how to make your own stir plate for $15 bucks at the end of the yeast starter video (thanks oyeahyeah).
Maddawgs

You can do this from beer sediment too."