logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline tecjr  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2012 1:30:09 PM(UTC)
tecjr

Groups: Registered

"hey from the midsouth,
what is the best temp for fruit brand from wine?

thanks,
tecjr"
Offline Bushy  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2012 3:44:51 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi Tecjr, Glad to have you on the board. I'm not quite sure what the "TEMP" your asking about is. ETOH collection starts at 172 if that's what your after.
What type of rig are you running?
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2012 10:28:38 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Question sound like it could be interesting. Lots of us do brandy. Please clarify your question--The answers are probably here somewhere. :)

WELCOME TOO
Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:43:37 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi Tec,

Welcome to the forum!

--JB
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:57:29 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

While ethanol may boil at 173º its a common mistake to use that as a goal temp for distillation. If you have ever boiled water you know that steam starts forming long before you reach the boiling point. Also the placement of your thermometer can give you drastically different readings. Another point is you are not actually boiling pure ethanol, you are boiling an ethanol/water mix. The alc% of your wash will determine what alc% of vapour you are creating as well as what temp your wash will boil at.

Monitoring temp is useful during distilling as it will let you know whats left in your boiler and give you and indication of when you are starting into the tails. On a pot still run your temp will likely stay fairly steady through your hearts run with just a little bit of creep. Once the temp starts to rise rapidly you know you are pulling tails and most of the alcohol has boiled out of your mash.

Everyone will have their own way of heating up their still. I like to give about 20 minutes of half power at the beginning, then crank it up to full power until take off has started. At that point i will back off the power until i get the stream/drip rate i desire. Collection starts using pint masons with each 6-8oz collection getting tested with the alc meter. Experience with different washes gives me a good idea of what alc% to expect from a specific wash so the alc meter is used to determine the heat level. If i know i should be collecting at 65% for example and im down at 60% i know i am going to fast and will back the heat off to reach my target.

Sorry if i was a bit long winded and hope this helps.
Offline curtsat15  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 5:47:38 AM(UTC)
curtsat15

I agree with ohyeahyeah. If you're talking fermentation temps, about 70F is ideal.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 9:09:25 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ohyeahyeah Go to Quoted Post
The alc% of your wash will determine what alc% of vapour you are creating [COLOR="#FF0000"]as well as what temp your wash will boil at.[/COLOR]
This needs to be underscored and repeated over and over. Once it sinks in an awful lot of things start to make more sense.
Offline scotty  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 11:20:02 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Originally Posted by: john barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
this needs to be underscored and repeated over and over. Once it sinks in an awful lot of things start to make more sense.

------------------------------------ ditto

You can tell a lot by head temp-- Runing minimum power will not stop the head temp from rising as the factions appear.