logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2012 2:23:14 PM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

Groups: Registered

"I just took an SG reading on my sugar wash I hadn't checked it in a while. Heres the details:
I started this wash on Oct 13th with an SG reading of 1.060
Today's SG reading was 1.020.
six more days and it's been a month... I've done a couple other sugar washes that took around 3 weeks to complete. This by far has taken the longest time. My concern and question is this. Should I add another pack of EC 1118 or just wait it out? It's true that the temps here in the Smoky Mountains has gotten colder. I keep the ferment buckets inside my house (a + to being single) the temps inside are usually in the 60's. Could it also be that slow due to the temps? My 4th Gen UJSM is going just fine I started it on Oct 29th Todays reading on that was 1.040. Ive since placed a little heater in front of the buckets to help warm em up a bit in hoping that that will help.
Thoughts....
Thanks
Johnny"
Offline Mkjt88  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2012 4:13:09 PM(UTC)
Mkjt88

I'd say the cold temps have done a good number on slowing it down. I keep mine in the spare room and temps in there stay in the mid- higher 60's. The average for my last few washes have been about 3 weeks. Depending on rather the yeast had good nutes or not plus the cold weather I'd say it's probably normal? What all did you add to this wash?
Offline Bushy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2012 4:25:30 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Hey Johnny if you have an electric blanket put the bucket on it, that's Scotty's idea, try to keep the temp around 65-70 degrees. I keep on top of two towels folded up and have a brew belt around them. When it gets colder I'll use a portable heater also.
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:57:40 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"The cool temps will indeed slow it down but not to a detriment. Slow is not bad its just slow...kinda like old folks, they get where they are going it just takes longer. If you can warm it up a bit I'm sure it will liven right back up ---- oh and I dont think you should add more yeast, why waste it, it'll finish on its own.

Im in Fl. and I noticed that one of mine slowed down also and its never to cool here to ferment (well not never but damned rarely). But anyway in the spare bath it went. My garage was 48F and the spare bath is 75F, that should wake it back up...."
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:12:09 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

Thanks guys for the input... I put a small heater by both buckets yesterday for about 3 hours and went i went back to turn it off and go to bed they both were active. So i'm certain it's the temps. I keep the temp inside the house usually around 65ish. So yeah it was going ssslllooowww. So i'll def take a few tips here like placing the buckets on towels cause i'm sure my hard wood floors aren't the warmest. I don't have a heating blanket but i will use a small electric heater in the evenings. I just want this sugar wash to finish already. I'm needin some neutral spirits. Thanks again for the comments...
Offline mr. x  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 10:41:11 AM(UTC)
mr. x

for like 10-15$ you can get a brewbelt whitch will keep it just right the whole time i use them for beer and wash ferments
Offline mr. x  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 10:42:17 AM(UTC)
mr. x

as well no worrying about turning it back on every few hours as most electric blankets and heat pads have a timed shutoff anymore
Offline AAIndigo  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 2:15:49 AM(UTC)
AAIndigo

"I have used reptile warmers in the past and they work great. We had these kicking around and I need to keep a brew up at 75F for a few weeks. I just put these on the side of my fermenter with some stretch wrap (Home Depot stuff for binding moldings and such) and she worked well.

AA"