logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Outdoor_cookin  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2012 1:33:52 AM(UTC)
Outdoor_cookin

Groups: Registered

I was wanting to insulate my pot to heat faster. I heat from a 1500w hot plate. I would insulate using that foil tape. But what kind would be best? And do I need to insulate both sections of my 2 piece column as well? I have a PSII with the 3 inch column. Thanks for any help.
Offline Crabby Krausen  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2012 1:47:55 AM(UTC)
Crabby Krausen

"I used sticky back insulation from home depot or lowes --About $18 a roll. 2 layers for me and then used duct tape to keep the edges from rising up. The 1500 watt hotplate worked well with the insulated boiler-- I used that hotplate on my 6 and 8 gallon boilers.

The tower insulation is a debated item. I distill outside and live next to a pasture so i insulate.

what are you using for a boiler?"
Offline John Barleycorn  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2012 2:13:05 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Outdoor,

You can use old towels. I wrap several around the top half of the boiler and the bottom few inches of the column. I use a piece of string to secure them. It works very well for me. BTW: I have the PSII HC/1500w as well ... and I run indoors.

If you use towels, make sure they don't contain any synthetic material that might melt and stick to your boiler. If the tag is gone or is unreadable due to age, you can test for this by snipping a few dangling threads from the towel. Hold a match stick or lighter under the thread and let it burn. If it turns into a little black glue-like ball (like dried glue), don't use that towel. The good towels, like cotton, will just turn to ash ... if you rub the ash between your fingers it'll be somewhat like graphite.

As for insulating the column, Crabby is correct, you'll find that it can be a hotly debated subject. I have a VERY strong opinion on the matter, so I'll just say this: if you are indoors, run your rig without insulation. If you're happy with your results you have no need to insulate. If you're not happy and you believe column insulation will get you there, then run your own experiments and decide for yourself ... from _real_ experience. If you are outdoors, then you may find that insulation is necessary to maintain stability in your column.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline popapina  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2012 3:30:18 AM(UTC)
popapina

"Low tech, towels work for me. Been using them from the start !
popapina"
Offline Outdoor_cookin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2012 1:23:31 PM(UTC)
Outdoor_cookin

I'm using the 8 gallon kettle. Thank y'all so much for the help.
Offline ratflinger  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:16:45 PM(UTC)
ratflinger

According to the management - Insulating the column, except in windy conditions is counter-productive. Boiler sure. Refectix from HD works great.