logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gibbs  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2012 11:35:02 AM(UTC)
Gibbs

Groups: Registered

"Howdy to all

I am Gibbs From Walla Walla WA and am new to brewing/fermenting/distilling. I believe i have a pretty well understanding on the entire process, but obviously want to learn a lot more. I am one of those who do not really care about what to do, rather i am interested in why am i doing it this way. At this point i am totally overwhelmed with all of the possibilities and different methods for every part of the process. I am most interested in whiskeys and rums but will definitely be playing with a few spirits. I am starting out quite small with a 3gal still. it is a stainless pressure cooker i modified to do the job. Copper neck and condenser. will be upgrading soon enough, but i figured its a good start since i do not know exactly what i want quite yet. until i have this website a little more figured out i guess i will ask my first cpl questions on this post.

-to what degree does the atmospheric conditions matter inside of the fermentation container? As in if i have a 5gal carboy, is there a best volume to air ratio? too much O2. too much room?

-Sugar content of mash? Obliviously depends on what i am making with how much/kind yeast and how long its going to ferment, but i am finding most recipes are between 12-25% sugar content. Anyone have basic gu8idlines they have found true?

-When distilling, where is the best place to check temp? should i be gauging from the liquid, the air in the pot, or up in the neck where the condensation starts? I realize the certain temps ethanol, methanol, and H2O evaporate, but there must be a correct spot to make sure the process goes smoothly...

Alrighty. i guess that is all for my first post. Much appreciated to anyone who reads/replys. I will be surfing the site trying to find more answers and questions. THANKS"
Offline cczero  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2012 11:43:37 AM(UTC)
cczero

Welcome aboard. To me it's amazing how much you can learn by trying and doing and the satisfaction one gets when the first few drops appear. Good luck in your distilling. You'll get lots of good advise from the "pros" here.

Regards to all...
Offline cczero  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2012 11:50:43 AM(UTC)
cczero

"Welcome aboard. To me it's amazing how much you can learn by trying and doing and the satisfaction one gets when the first few drops appear. Good luck in your distilling. You'll get lots of good advise from the ""pros"" here.

Regards to all..."
Offline Hokey  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2012 3:44:17 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Welcome Gibbs. You have found a great spot to find info and learn about distilling. I think I can answer your first question quickly. During fermentation as long as

you have an air lock the co2 produced by the yeast replaces the o2 in your carboy therefore it can not adversely effect fermentation. There are some great Forum

Topics on the first page of this site where your other questions may be better answered. There is a lot to read and learn but boy is it fun!

Welcome, Good luck and keep on shinin'
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2012 10:48:27 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: Gibbs Go to Quoted Post
Howdy to all

I am Gibbs From Walla Walla WA and am new to brewing/fermenting/distilling. I believe i have a pretty well understanding on the entire process, but obviously want to learn a lot more. I am one of those who do not really care about what to do, rather i am interested in why am i doing it this way. At this point i am totally overwhelmed with all of the possibilities and different methods for every part of the process. I am most interested in whiskeys and rums but will definitely be playing with a few spirits. I am starting out quite small with a 3gal still. it is a stainless pressure cooker i modified to do the job. Copper neck and condenser. will be upgrading soon enough, but i figured its a good start since i do not know exactly what i want quite yet. until i have this website a little more figured out i guess i will ask my first cpl questions on this post.

-to what degree does the atmospheric conditions matter inside of the fermentation container? As in if i have a 5gal carboy, is there a best volume to air ratio? too much O2. too much room?

-Sugar content of mash? Obliviously depends on what i am making with how much/kind yeast and how long its going to ferment, but i am finding most recipes are between 12-25% sugar content. Anyone have basic gu8idlines they have found true?

-When distilling, where is the best place to check temp? should i be gauging from the liquid, the air in the pot, or up in the neck where the condensation starts? I realize the certain temps ethanol, methanol, and H2O evaporate, but there must be a correct spot to make sure the process goes smoothly...

Alrighty. i guess that is all for my first post. Much appreciated to anyone who reads/replys. I will be surfing the site trying to find more answers and questions. THANKS

Ok here we go so hang on ( my 3rd cup of coffee has just kicked in).....
#1 none, you'll want as much as it can hold - greed just sorta takes over when it comes to how much likker you can make.

#2 usually - most - recipes call for 2 lbs of sugar per gallon of water but that can be altered almost anyway you want! The yeast you choose and the recipe you choose will dictate the amount of sugar you use. Some yeasts can handle 15-20lbs of sugar in a 5 gallon wash.

#3 the still you described prolly wont allow a therm. to be placed but dont worry about temp at this time. Control the temp by the discharge volumn - with the
still you described you cant check it anyway. Go slow with the heat (like a fast drip or a dribble). Turn on the heat, once its up to a discharge temp, turn your heat DOWN so you can control the discharge of the distillate. My motto is ---slow and easy man, slow and easy. You can push faster later when you know more about how your still functions or the lack thereof.

Maybe this will get cha going but there is lots of good stuff in the forums so keep reading there. Does'nt sound like your ready to still yet so keep reading and when you think your ready read somemore. Pick a really easy recipe to start with cause you'll be suprised what success can do to your confidence as compared to failure. Good luck and happy still....
Got any pics of your setup????"
Offline heeler  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2012 11:13:55 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Gibbs, if you go to that little search window up top and type in Gerber Neutral and click search that'll give you a little something to read and think about. Its a really easy recipe and give ya something to read.
Offline fatboylo  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2012 1:37:43 AM(UTC)
fatboylo

Originally Posted by: Gibbs Go to Quoted Post
Howdy to all

Alrighty. i guess that is all for my first post. Much appreciated to anyone who reads/replys. I will be surfing the site trying to find more answers and questions. THANKS

Gibbs, welcome to the forum. You will find much of theses questions have been answered in the past and also that with this many hooch makers in one place there will be many different takes. I too built a small pot still when I begun this hobby after doing a lot of reading. So, having said that I placed a therm on my pot too. Although many on here will tell you that a therm on a pot rig does no good (and after learning my small pot) I now agree with them that it is not necessary, however, I still have it on there. In the beginning it gave me somewhat of a bit of confidence that I lacked on the correct method of seperation. I have a small pic on my profile where you can see that I placed the therm. But, again its not necessary. That mash thing is a whole other part of the beast you will just have to play with. To many receipes and variables. Good luck and happy hooching. If you have questions someone on here has the answer!

After looking at that pic in my Profile.....man, must be every bit of 2kb in size.....here I'll attach this shot.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]611[/ATTACH]

Click on the pic!
fatboylo attached the following image(s):
run - Copy.jpg (238kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline Gibbs  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2012 8:03:34 AM(UTC)
Gibbs

thanks for all the help. i obviously have a bit more homework to do.

Heeler: "the still you described prolly wont allow a therm. to be placed"
I have a cpl of therm i can take apart, then drill an solder the node anywhere in my still then put it back together. but now that sounds like a unnecessary task. And no pics yet. I am a 22yearold mech Eng and believe i can build anything, but when it comes to computers and electronics, im left in the stone age. pics soon!

thanks