logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Bushy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:13:26 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Groups: Registered

"I,m going to try and convert my essential oil still to an inline thumper still now that the oil season is over. I figure I can change it back when spring and summer rolls around again.
What I plan to do is extend the four steam tubes into the upper product pot and then put a long cap over them kind of like a bubble plate cap except free floating. I think it will work for makeing rum and whiskey.
You can see a picture of the still in the essential oil section.
What do you think? Any suggestions are welcome.

Have Fun."
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:21:19 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Bushey. I was told that oils leave a flavor in your rig. I have no experience but can you elaborate on the flavor thing?
Offline Bushy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 2:05:41 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Groups: Registered

Hi Scotty, Oils can be a problem to clean out, especially the condenser. The rest of the system isn't effected very much and is fairly easy to clean otherwise I would need a different still for each type of product.
What I do after an oil run is immediatly do a vinegar/water run, 1/2 gallon of each, then wipe the pots and basket down with alcohol, left over heads and tails. I'll take a bottle brush soaked in alcohol to the pipes and then use a shotgun swab soaked in alcohol to pull through the condenser and lyne arm.
No cross contamination yet so I'm eager to try this still out as an inline thumper still. Im just not sure if the proportions between the boiler and thumper pots are Ok. Or if there is a reason it won't work at all efficiently.
Would really like some constructive input about the pot sizes and the four steam tube conversions.

Thanks

Have Fun.
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:41:33 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Thanks.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------