logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline stillpickle  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 01, 2012 11:00:23 AM(UTC)
stillpickle

Groups: Registered

"I'm sure Rick will remember this. Last year I was using a beer keg as a boiler. I was running the PSII and all of a sudden noticed molten metal dripping from under the boiler. Scared the chit out of me. Just a melted difuser plate. Called Rick and he said no problem, I didn't need it with a keg.

Will I need the plate with the premium 18 gal can?"
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 01, 2012 11:35:28 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
If you are ordering one of our 15 gallon kettles it will come with a diffuser plate to fit.
#3 Posted : Monday, October 01, 2012 12:23:46 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hey I think I seen that Frisbee. It was laid out on the showroom floor as a warning to others who might get frisky with the propane..lol. Noticed it when I was picking up my stuff. You been a real bad boy..lol. Now what is this 18 gallon gizmo of which we speak? Somebody apparently holding out some goodies here. I feels sorta slighted so to speak..sniff sniff.
Offline Fritz The Cat  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 06, 2012 9:02:39 AM(UTC)
Fritz The Cat

Aluminum melts at 1220 degrees. Does propane git that hot?
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 06, 2012 10:29:05 AM(UTC)

Surely could with an infusion of o2 lol. Did you ever see the movie of the fella heating up a dixie cup full of water to boiling with a cutting torch? Same principle most likely. Liquid in contact with the metal is ok. If you manage to strike a fire under your empty keg it will melt that too. Thought I was the only one who slept through physics 101 but guess not. lol.
Offline stillpickle  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 06, 2012 1:10:49 PM(UTC)
stillpickle

Originally Posted by: Fritz The Cat Go to Quoted Post
Aluminum melts at 1220 degrees. Does propane git that hot?

It melted.
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 07, 2012 3:55:19 AM(UTC)

Yes I saw it..or one like it lol. I dont know much about heat transfer but do know that if you put a constant high heat source under a piece of metal or an empty bucket it will melt it regardless of other factors. If you consider the aluminium frisbee as a stand along chunk of metal would guess it cant transfer enough of the heat to the liquid in the bucket to keep the temps low enough for it to survive. Now if the disc was integral to the bottom of the bucket and there is water in the bucket..everything should be ok. I have a big grand prize winning stew/chili pot that works on that principle. Now some folks use the discs with propane but they try to keep the heat fairly low. I dont personally see much sense in using one for propane..because if there is water in the boiler there is not an issue with burning a hole in the bucket..whew. Hopefully somebody who knows about this stuff will show up... lol.