logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cczero  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2012 9:04:16 AM(UTC)
cczero

Groups: Registered

"I was recently reading somewhere, I think it was in one of the suggested PDF downloads, that leaving 'heads' out of the reflux run was suggested. I've tried to find the reference but haven't been able too. I'll be starting my next Reflux run from 3 stripping runs; Run 1 of 5 quarts, Run 2 & 3 of 6 quarts each. Would it be advisable to leave the 1st quart out from each stripping run when combining for the Reflux? I'm assuming these 3 qts would contain 'heads'. And if I do, what should I do with the 3 qts? The last Spirit Run I did produced excellent results with distillate from the combined stripping runs with 10 pints of 90 ABV.

Regards to all.."
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2012 10:08:47 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

If it was me...I would drink anything on the front end which did not smell like paint thinner..acetone..etc. or if I was a re-runner type I would apply the same standards. Run what dont stink after dumping the obligatory fores..which as the man who makes the moochines say 1/2 cup for refluxing...in a five or six gallon wash I would guess..but notice 10 gallon washes do not seem to have much if any additional nasty fores than does the smaller batch. Now for pot stilling...which I dont do..I was taught to dump a full cup. Actually I was taught to drop a pint but that seems like a waste of good hooch to us thrifty Scotsmen. Now I do not care to recycle large batches of stinky tails. It seems to me they multiply themselves and come back with the kids..grand kids..neighbors etc. Now this could be my imagination here I guess. Sure a smart person show up shortly to contradict all this bizness..lol. Kindly keeps us posted. Thanks. PS...After tossing the fores I would surely catch small amounts in small jars for at least the next half pint or so and smell it real good. Cant get burned too bad like that. Prob you already knowed that but wanted to cover all the bases here..just to be on the safe side. I got some special little jelly jars that work great for separating the fingernail polish remover from the cheap tequilla smell. Course a big world class nose dont hurt nothing either..lol.
Offline cczero  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2012 11:14:08 AM(UTC)
cczero

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
If it was me...I would drink anything on the front end which did not smell like paint thinner..acetone..etc. ...

I think that's was the point of the article was trying to make. Why process it if you already know may not be usable.

I think now I'll use pint jars for both stripping and spirit runs to better identify where in the process I am.

Thanks for the reply."
Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2012 12:30:17 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"
Quote:
Why process it if you already know may not be usable.
If the purpose of your stripping run was to simply reduce volume (which it should be, by definition), then you would have run your rig hard and fast. When you run hard and fast you're going to smear everything ... heads, hearts and tails ... so when you discard that sample you're referring to as ""heads,"" you'll be discarding plenty of the good stuff as well.

If you weren't running hard and fast then I'm not sure I would call it a ""stripping"" run ... maybe a ""first"" run?? In any case, if during your first run you ran your rig in such a way that you got some good separation (or were able to get good clean cuts), then it may be a good idea to leave out the samples with heads on subsequent runs. It all depends on what you're trying to do.

--JB"
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2012 11:08:06 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Good point. Being a confirmed run it once and get the agony over with type..and being blessed with a hooch maker which appears very good at separating the constituents..I tend to accumulate a little nasty smelling stuff between the fores and the keepers..but not much. Not enough to worry about what to do with it anyway.