logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline SippingDayley  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 23, 2012 2:29:52 PM(UTC)
SippingDayley

Groups: Registered

Hey y'all I've been drinking shine for a while now and been around it my whole life. The whole thing just amazes me and I'm going to make my first run and try it out. I would appreciate any help, tips or recipes y'all could help me out with! I like just good ole straight corn moonshine. I have a little 16 oz stock pot set up ran with copper pipe to a 5 gallon bucket full of ice with the copper coiled in the bucket. Nothing big just a starter set up. Similar to the picture I attached. I'm from Tennessee born and raised in the south and I have a lot of respect for moonshine and my fellow shiners!! [ATTACH=CONFIG]560[/ATTACH]
SippingDayley attached the following image(s):
image.jpg (15kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
#2 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 2:53:50 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Nice looking essential extractor Sir. Welcome to the Brewhaus Forum. Quite a moonshine heritage you bring from Tennessee. That is where all my kin on my Grandpa's side migrated from.

Uncle Jessie's Sour Mash (UJSM) seems to be one of the most popular recipes floating around. Big thanks to Uncle Jessie. Simple to make..tastes good..easy to create subtle variants using different grain combos..cornmeal etc.
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 3:09:59 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
You been in Tenn your whole life and around shine forever...........you should have some pretty good recipes for US.
Offline SippingDayley  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 3:20:54 AM(UTC)
SippingDayley

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Nice looking essential extractor Sir. Welcome to the Brewhaus Forum. Quite a moonshine heritage you bring from Tennessee. That is where all my kin on my Grandpa's side migrated from.

Uncle Jessie's Sour Mash (UJSM) seems to be one of the most popular recipes floating around. Big thanks to Uncle Jessie. Simple to make..tastes good..easy to create subtle variants using different grain combos..cornmeal etc.

Thanks for the help and respect to a newbie. I'm just doing this as a hobby to try it out. No body around here will give up anything good haha.But I will deffinately look into it."
Offline SippingDayley  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 3:24:35 AM(UTC)
SippingDayley

Yuuuuppp, Thanks for the help brother -__- Just because I live somewhere and been drinking something for a long time does not mean I know they will tell me their "secrets" on how to make the best product. I know the basics on how to make shine, just wanted to see if I could get some tips on how to make it better and improve my knowlage. But thanks man really, you're comment helped me alot.
Offline SippingDayley  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 3:31:17 AM(UTC)
SippingDayley

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
You been in Tenn your whole life and around shine forever...........you should have some pretty good recipes for US.

Yuuuuppp, Thanks for the help brother -__- Just because I live somewhere and been drinking something for a long time does not mean I know they will tell me their "secrets" on how to make the best product. I know the basics on how to make shine, just wanted to see if I could get some tips on how to make it better and improve my knowlage. But thanks man really, you're comment helped me alot.
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 5:23:59 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

tell us about your boiler setup please
#8 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 5:28:47 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hey I could prob help you to find Popcorn Sutton's old recipe. That give you some immediate recognition in the Tenn Hoochology Hall of Fame. I heard Bocephus and one of Popcorns old pals are selling the stuff in Mason Jars somewhere around the geography in question. I tried making a small batch one time. Worked very well. Now the recipe say to dump malt syrup into cornmeal and claim it converts it to sugar. I was born on Thursday but not last Thursday. Let us pretend the liquid malt adds flavor and sugar. The recipe becomes easier than falling off a log at that point. Its becomes a variant of UJSM using cornmeal and liquid malt for a kicker. Or maybe UJSM is a variant of Popcorn's recipe for them who was too thrifty/cheap to buy big cans of high dollar malt syrup to perk it up a bit. Who knows?

Originally Posted by: SippingDayley Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the help and respect to a newbie. I'm just doing this as a hobby to try it out. No body around here will give up anything good haha.But I will deffinately look into it.
Offline SippingDayley  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 6:29:36 AM(UTC)
SippingDayley

"
Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
tell us about your boiler setup please

Okay it's very similar to the one in the picture up top. It's a 16 oz. SS Stock pot with SS lid I use water and flower for the paste to seal it all off. I put it on a grill or stove top, just depends on how I'm feeling that day. I have 10' of 3/4"" copper pipe running from the boiler to a 5 gallon bucket full of ice and the pipe is bent like a coil through the bucket to the bottom where it comes through to drip into my jar. I have a temperature gauge on the top of boiler also. that's it just something basic and small. Any suggestions?

I don't want to put any real money into it right yet. at least not until I learn a little more about the whole thing. Thanks!"
Offline SippingDayley  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 6:34:59 AM(UTC)
SippingDayley

Hey I could prob help you to find Popcorn Sutton's old recipe. That give you some immediate recognition in the Tenn Hoochology Hall of Fame. I heard Bocephus and one of Popcorns old pals are selling the stuff in Mason Jars somewhere around the geography in question. I tried making a small batch one time. Worked very well. Now the recipe say to dump malt syrup into cornmeal and claim it converts it to sugar. I was born on Thursday but not last Thursday. Let us pretend the liquid malt adds flavor and sugar. The recipe becomes easier than falling off a log at that point. Its becomes a variant of UJSM using cornmeal and liquid malt for a kicker. Or maybe UJSM is a variant of Popcorn's recipe for them who was too thrifty/cheap to buy big cans of high dollar malt syrup to perk it up a bit. Who knows?

That would be awesome. I appreciate all the help I've been getting yall honestly. What mash recipe do you think would be good for something like my little still? I'd like to make a little at a time, just to see which one I prefer. Maybe have an end product of a gallon or so? I want to make enough for me and let my grandpa and brother try some!
Offline Mkjt88  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 6:36:52 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Looks good just make sure your seal is tight and yor coil falls down the whole time.. If those two are done then your setup is fine for now. And the recipe section here has some basic easy to make shine. Good luck
Offline SippingDayley  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 6:41:46 AM(UTC)
SippingDayley

Originally Posted by: Mkjt88 Go to Quoted Post
Looks good just make sure your seal is tight and yor coil falls down the whole time.. If those two are done then your setup is fine for now. And the recipe section here has some basic easy to make shine. Good luck

Thanks man I'll check that out. And yeah I am starting to figure out the Specifics on best ways to seal it up and what not but I do have one question. What would be the best way to clean something like this?
Offline SippingDayley  
#13 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 7:52:11 AM(UTC)
SippingDayley

"
Well I tried to post a link to the recipe but it was buried real deep and the links on here aint clickable. Here tis. Now before jumping in knee deep holler back for some tweaks. Just notice the old rascal seems to be counting the malt as sugar anyway. Now he dont mention yeast but it got to need some. Five gallons is the least I've tried but smaller should be no big problemo. You gonna have to break down and get a still one of these days..lol. Try to steer Mama over to Christmas. Tell her it will keep you out of the bars. Worked for me..lol. Course I was lying. All the cute beer tenders demand apple pie etc.

Sutton's recipe from his book:

25 pounds coarse ground white corn meal, enough to fill half of your barrel/container
50 pounds of sugar - 1 pound of sugar per gallon of water of total volume
1 gallon of malt - can be corn, barley, rye or a combination.

Boil the water, cook in the cornmeal and allow to cool to touch. Add sugar and malt and stir in well. Leave for a day and come back. The mix should be bubbling on top, stir one last time and then leave it.

Copper Moonshine Stills

Home Distiller

Haha arrrighty man thanks it looks good I'm gonna try it out and make adjustments if I need to...I'll tamper with it and see how it goes thanks! and I know man I'm looking into buying a still but probably won't happen for a while. Also I know you can use an alcoholmeter to tell percentage and proof but you got any other suggestions?"
Offline SippingDayley  
#14 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 12:54:52 PM(UTC)
SippingDayley

"
Well you could do it like the po folks. If the wash is sweet tasting and cloudy thats a sign it needs a while longer. I like two or three weeks for anything which the word cornmeal has even been used in its presence. If you manage to come up with hooch (trusting you know about cuts maybe?) you take a slug and if it too strong..add water. If it too weak you done something wrong..lol. Go ahead and drink it and do it right next time..lol. Now I tend to take a simplistic view of stuff because I am a simpleton..lol. Was thinking everybody with Tennessee roots was like unto that. Has proved true so far:)

Yeah I'll figure it out as I go and I'll let you know how I do. I don't care what my shine is as long as it aint too weak! also it'd be nice to not go blind LOL Thanks for all the tips!!"
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:56:44 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

Howdy SippinDayley,
I'm a Tennessee essential extractor too. I'e been at it now for a couple of months and i've made four runs. I use a PS II in reflux and pot mode. For me my first couple of runs were plain ole sugar water (vodka or a neutral spirit) running the still in reflux mode. It made for some high proof hooch like 180 to 190. Of course that is before taming to drinking proof. To me personally sugar water was the easiest to make and since it was my first run i didnt have a whole lot of $ in it. my third run was corn meal using turbo yeast. to me and my taste it didn't turn out quite the way i wanted it to so I scratched that recipe. I ran my first UJSM (thanks Jessie) this past weekend using my still in pot mode (for flavor) and to me and my taste it was the best damn run of likker i ever ran. I started my second generation UJSM that evening and it's fermenting away now. Now don't get to carried away... the yield probably isn't what you think. Let me explain, I ran UJSM using pot mode and I got about a quart and quarter of good drinkin spirits. So the yield isn't very high. In reflux I can maybe get three quarts per 5 gallon wash. with that being said it takes me about 5.5 to 6 hours to run this still to get a good result so be patient with it. best of luck to ya fella tennesseean!