logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline heeler  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 4:48:21 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"I'm gonna re-hydrate some dry yeast and post some pics so you can follow along with me. A buddy stopped by and asked if I would make him some Sweetfeed likker and of course I said yes, ( just cause I wanted and excuse to make likker) and I'm gonna use bakers yeast cause he said make it like they did in the old days. Well he wont know its better than that but I will. So here go's ----------

Here's the yeast used and the just finished wort, both are different temps just for a little experiment...

UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 4:54:44 AM(UTC)
heeler

"In this next photo I've added the yeast and taken the temps to show the livelyhood of each and different temps. The jug on the left is 78F and the one on the right is 98F. Again expirimenting with pitching temps just to see if theres really a difference for the good or the bad.
You can see the yeast has been pitched and stirred and the timer is set for thirty minutes, so were off and runnin.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 4:58:45 AM(UTC)
heeler

"The timer has timed out at the thirty minute mark and you can see the jug on the right is way ahead in the race to full krausen. So far so good.
UserPostedImage
I'm gonna reset the timer for maybe 45 minutes and letter go somemore. As for the temps I did'nt take them all the way through just at the beginning and the end."
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 5:04:48 AM(UTC)
heeler

"UserPostedImage
This was 15 minutes later but I wanted to show the krausen growth - seems like the warmer one is really gettin it, when I looked really close at the jars I could really see them churning inside as the yeast was growing and multiplying.Cool"
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 5:08:40 AM(UTC)
heeler

"This is the next in the series and it shows its almost done and ready to pitch - you can see the one on the right is ready and its starting to fall now. Thats your sign that its ready to pitch.Blushing
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 5:26:06 AM(UTC)
heeler

"So here we are at pitching time and the one on the left is still lagging behind. Now thats not a bad thing I could just wait a little longer or pitch it now which is exactly what I did. They were both churning away and beggin to be put in the fermenter.
The temp of the one on the left was 86.4F and the temp on the one on the right was 92.6F. So as you can see the one started cooler or at room temp got hotter and the one started hot got cooler. We all know fermentation will indeed creat heat and this little experiment proves it. It was 76F in my house so I think was easier for the hotter one to get cooler. But still the cooler start gained 8 degrees. Just thnk how hot it would be if left outside or in the barn.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 5:33:12 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Anyway this is how you re-hydrate dry yeast in my opinion -- that whole warm wort thing is just a good thing to do. I dont think fermentation should be that warm but from what I saw re-hydration should be. I know some will say just use warm water and I know that works but not like this and some say warm water with sugar and that will work too. But if I just made my wort why not use that, its gotta cool anyway.
Ok hope this helps somebody and makes it easier to understand the re-hydration theory."
Offline Mkjt88  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 6:04:46 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Groups: Registered

I'm surprised the hotter one was that much faster. I've been doing this the past few times and seems to work great for me. I am stuck on 85F right now as my pitching temp. Been letting it sit for bout 30-60 min depending how long my wurt takes to cool off.
Offline heeler  
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2012 9:00:47 PM(UTC)
heeler

"Ya know for several years I just put the yeast right on top of the wort and never really had a problem. I just made sure it was cooled to the proper temp and letter go. But this is something I really like and it seems to work really well. If you know you wort is below 100F (all the way to the bottom) then you could just add your yeast right to the fermenter and cap it. You'll see the airlock working in a little while if the yeast is good. This way just gives me piece of mind that I did'nt waste my time.

I'm not saying I'm right and they are wrong this is just something that I like so try each way of re-hydration and see which you like best.Cool"
Offline Mkjt88  
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 23, 2012 7:12:34 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Same here.. I like seeing it going before I lock it up
Offline scotty  
#11 Posted : Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:20:35 AM(UTC)
scotty

Originally Posted by: Mkjt88 Go to Quoted Post
Same here.. I like seeing it going before I lock it up

Yess and dont forget. a starter bottle will multiply the number of yeast cells a few times before you pitch
Offline heeler  
#12 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2012 7:12:50 AM(UTC)
heeler

"I got a new (well really old) yeast starter jug for my stir plate whilst I was on vacation. Its a 1914 milk jug, (how cool is that??) now I'm not old enough to remember them leaving milk on the porch at that time but I just had to make some likker so I could use my new starter jug. I found it at one of those flea markets that are all over Tenn. and Ga. It has a perfectly flat bottom inside and thats what ya need so ya dont throw the stir bar when shes whirlin away and growing sister cells. Anyway I took a few pics so I hope ya'll dont mind if I share them with ya.
UserPostedImage
You can see the vortex in the middle of the jug, thats caused by spinning and that pulls o2 into the solution to help the growth of the yeast."
Offline heeler  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2012 7:16:11 AM(UTC)
heeler

"This is about 20 minutes into the whirl and its starting to show signs of growth.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#14 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2012 7:17:11 AM(UTC)
heeler

"This is 20 minutes later and still gaining.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#15 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2012 7:20:05 AM(UTC)
heeler

"UserPostedImage
This is the next and if you squint you can see the yeast swirling around and the krausen head is now starting to fall. Its oly been about an hour or less. I added the yeast with temp about 85-88F and I think by now it used up all the sugar in the jug."
Offline heeler  
#16 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2012 7:27:31 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Se here we are at pitchin time and my fermenter is about 88F so in she goes. You can see its pretty calm now so I think its ready to go to work. I betting as soon as it hits that warm sugary wort its gonna take off. I'm curious how long before the airlick starts to work????BigGrin
UserPostedImage
Look close and you can see all the yeast spinning because the plate is still stirring. Cool huh.....Cool"
Offline cczero  
#17 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2012 8:41:46 AM(UTC)
cczero

I've been baking bread products for years and have always hydrated yeast before adding it to the other ingredients and kind of carried that forward with dipping a few ounces of the wash, cooling it, and then adding the yeast to let it stand until fully proofed. It one recent of proofing the yeast, it fell to the bottom and did nothing so was able to tell early on of the problem. Thanks for the info and the photo's. Very interesting.
Offline Mkjt88  
#18 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2012 11:08:29 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Pretty neat stuff heeler.. Exactly how does a plate like that stir without a prop in the liquid?? And this re-hydrating stuff seems to work pretty good for me. My last batch I started the other night I had out for a good hour or so and it was bubbling away.. passed out woke up at 5 and thought dang.. got up went in there and the foam was bout gone and slight bubbles still. Thought man it ate all the sugar and died off.. Pitched it that morning and sure enough it's kicking full throttle still. Either I got lucky or these yeasts are harder to kill off than I thought. I also had a few inches of CM in the bottom of my fermenter after running a batch and didn't clear it out till 2 days later.. the damn stuff when I opened it was still bubbling in the 1/8in of liquid on top of it. Thought about doing another generation on it but I got my SF now and trying to stay away from the mess of CM.
Offline heeler  
#19 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2012 12:41:34 PM(UTC)
heeler

"What stirs the wort is a little stir bar inside the jug. Theres a computer fan motor inside the box with rare earth magnets (from a computer hard drive) glued on top and that is adjusted to fit right next to the lid inside. Then when you make a jug of juice you add a little steel bar ( its covered with plastic of course) and when the fan spinns it turns the bar inside the jug. Thats why I mentioned that the jug must be perfectly flat inside.

I did'nt think anyone would be interested in that aspect of the plate or I would take some pics. I did post some pics of the workings in another thread........look in the projects thread I think.... and thx for the interest.

I think when the yeast eats all the sugar it doesnt just die it just quits multiplying, thats why even if the starter is quite it will still ferment the wort in a livley fashion because of the extra sugar in the wort.

I bet if you would have added 5 lbs of sugar to that it would have taken off from the sounds of it.

Im gonna try to get some pics of all the workings for ya and add em here too...."
Offline Mkjt88  
#20 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2012 12:58:07 PM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Got ya.. I was wondering how the hell.. lol Nice easy concept someone came up with there. And now that you say it I actually think I remember coming across a photo of that one time awhile back.