logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mkjt88  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:02:18 PM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Groups: Registered

I got a cup of 65% CM distillate that I have aged on plum for 2 days. I did cherry wood last time so trying plum this time. I was pleased and displeased so far. Within the first day was getting really good colors. Today it was just a couple shades under Jim beam. I did a Nose test and got the very slightest woody scent. To the taste it was about the same as the first day without anything. I was getting worried about it getting to dark and woody without much flavor so I took the chiPs out and added more cherry. The plum looks and almost smells just like the cherry but te different for aging. I may throw one plum chip in the mix for the extra color effect though.. Just not much on flavoring. Figured I'd share my thoughts on it.
Offline mr. x  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:17:25 AM(UTC)
mr. x

my buddy has black walnut i was goin to try since im going to cut a bigger limb off to dry to make tobacco pipes out of since it can be such a purdy wood i wanted to try to use a bit of that my next batch
Offline mr. x  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:36:14 AM(UTC)
mr. x

i know we used limbs from it to check the flavor out in his smoker on a sturgeon before i think the walnuts arent supposed to be eaten off them is all i know they are aweome for pipes tho
Offline mr. x  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2012 10:11:13 AM(UTC)
mr. x

"
Originally Posted by: mr. x Go to Quoted Post
i know we used limbs from it to check the flavor out in his smoker on a sturgeon before i think the walnuts aren't supposed to be eaten off them is all i know they are awesome for pipes tho

in just googling it more says it puts off a toxin that's harmful to nearby plants and is very dangerous to inhale sawdust witch leads to respiratory issues and deep depression so maybe i wont screw with the stuff again"
Offline mr. x  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:38:29 AM(UTC)
mr. x

yea its a high dollar hardwood make allot of money if he was to cut down the tree in the 30-40k range just to have it dug out and sold i believe was told but its to great a spot just take a large limb here and there saw the general pipe shape and toast thescrap usually like 1/2 inch pieces some bigger though then use a small grinder to get much closer then a dremel for tight areas then make a vulcanized rubber stem and sand all down even then stain and light the stain on fire as it absorbs it better and restain and light throw some wax on the buffing wheel to polish it all up and good to go long simple process the drilling is the hardest many iwouldnt charge much after cost and shipping im not a prick though its getting him to give me another limb thats the hard part
Offline mr. x  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:31:57 PM(UTC)
mr. x

i buy estate pipes from dealers they pick up used ones and clean and recondition them they are older so have much prettier look to them mine will be a while out since the wood has to be extra extra dry first but if really interested i know a fewpeople that are amazing pipe makers the best guy being in the uk but his are beautiful
Offline gboniko  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:25:45 AM(UTC)
gboniko

I hope that mr.x would give me enough information about it. So what will you say on tobacco pipes Edmonton AB? I'll waiting for your thoughts.
Offline mr. x  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:55:27 AM(UTC)
mr. x

"
Originally Posted by: gboniko Go to Quoted Post
I hope that mr.x would give me enough information about it. So what will you say on tobacco pipes Edmonton AB? I'll waiting for your thoughts.

im unsure what you want to know"