logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2003 4:52:04 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

While some commercial vodkas state they are made from potatoes, other starch sources are seldom identified ,at least I've not seen anyone claim their product is 'corn vodka' or anything like that,.

My question is, what ARE the most prevalent sources of starch for commercial vodka, and what is used in the mash for conversion? I've not seen ANY information on this. I'd guess that in the US, 6-row malt would be the main source of diastase for conversion of potato or corn starch--but does anyone know?

Also, what are typical original gravity values coming out of the mash ,or out of the kettle, if a post-mash boil is done,?
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2003 8:01:22 PM(UTC)

i have heard its maize or rye in the US. i presume normally whatever grain is cheapest in which country.

more importantly is what they do inbetween distillation stages to improve purity and flavor. i.e. what additives or treatments. i have heard of sunlight, electricity, acids, bases, ultrasonic waves, heating, aeration, quartz filtering and other bizarre stuff i cant remember
#3 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2005 9:01:20 PM(UTC)

USUALLY THE MYTH IS POTATO BUT AS STATED IT IS WHATEVER IS MOST AVAILABLE AND THUS THE CHEAPEST IN THE COUNTRY THOU ABIDES IN