logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline heeler  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 6:47:45 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"I have 3 differnet dry yeasts in my fridge -- Nottingham by Lallemand which is a ale yeast for beer brewing. I've used it in likker too and it works fine.
I also keep EC-1118 by Lalvin in my fridge and it is a wine yeast and it too works just fine in a likker wash.
I also have the distillers dry yeast Crosby and Bakers.

The directions say to ---- rehydrate---- in water before adding to your must or wort.

For the 1118 they say add it to water between 104-109F but thats for rehydration not fermentation.
For the Notty it says add it to water between 86-92F for rehydration again NOT fermentation.

Since the Notty is a beer yeast, if you fermented your beer at lets just say 90F since its in the middle of the rehydrating temps that beer would be unfit to drink because of the aldehydes and esters that the yeast would produce at those temps. For that reason a cool ferment is best with that yeast, like 68-74F.
Now with the 1118 its a wine yeast and that too would be WAY too hot for fermenting. It would most definately ferment to finish but what would be the resulting taste????
The distillers yeast give no rehydrating temps in the directions but what I've started doing is, after making my wort and whilst its cooling I dip out a pint and put that in a quart jar. I let it cool to below 100F and add my distillers yeast to that and theres no dought if the yeast is good or dead. Its at high krausen when the wort is cool enough to pitch the yeast and it takes off almost immediately.
Again a cooler ferment temp is always kinder to your yeast and wort than 98F."
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:29:33 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

There are as many ways to pitch your yeast as there are styles and types of yeast. If yours works then its a good way.

I have some notes on using a starter bottle that i would like to share. First of all if you are using dry yeast dehydrating it in plain water first is recomended by all the yeast manufacturers. Many wine kits say to just sprinkle the yeast on the liquid. It is my belief that although this usually works ok, it is used to make the instructions seem very simple to get the results desired
Many of the books written by Beer, wine and moonshine masters, recomend starter bottles but with the practice of 15 minute hydration of the dry yeast before ever adding it to the prepared liquid that is in the starter bottle. Naturally a liquid yeast pack does not need water rehydration.
HERE IS ONE METHOD THAT I COPIED FROM A BOOK
Only use wort (or must) after dap-energizer, hulls and acid blend have been added.
1--NOTE:--put the 2 pks of yeast into I cup warm water that has a pinch of sugar in it.
2--Allow about 15 minutes for the yeast to re hydrate then proceed with the starter bottle
Use 1 liter of wort (OR MUST)) and one liter of MODIFIED water IF MAKING WHISKEYS. Use the 1-gallon glass jar.
Aerate the starter bottle for 15 minutes before pitching the yeast.
Pitch1 or 2 packets of 1118((or whatever yeast you are using)) allow full 6 hours for the starter bottle to multiply. ((I sometimes usa a 18 to 48 hour starter bottle))
Lag time 3 hours plus time to multiply. 6-to 48 hours is excellent and would be most efficient
After 4 hours (( or 24 hours)) add another liter of aerated wort or re aerate the starter bottle. I think that separately aerating the 1 liter being added would be easier

Aerate the wort for 1 hour during the last hour of the starter bottle. If not just aerate wort for 1 hour and let starter continue working till you are ready to pitch.---JUST AERATE THE WURT PLEASE

Add starter bottle and proceed as usual.
NOTE___ I can not use wurt with my 6 hour method. It will work with an 18 to 48 hour method. Addind wurt for a while to the starter bottle seems the best way.

The growth behavior of yeast cultures is similar to that of bacteria. When a growth medium is inoculated, the cells require a period of preparation (( IT IS CALLED POPULATING THE WURT)) before they start dividing. tHE POPULATING STAGE REQUIRES A WELL AERATED WURT. Following this lag period which may be up to several hours they rapidly enter the exponential phase during which their number and mass double at equal time intervals. After a period of growth at a relatively constant exponential rate, some environmental condition becomes growth limiting so that the rate of increase diminishes and growth eventually stops. The population and mass become constant. The culture remains stationary and the cells remain viable for several hours; if the culture is refrigerated the cells remain viable for months. Eventually the cells die, and at room temperature or warmer they will undergo autolysis: their own digestive enzymes become active and they literally digest themselves, reducing their proteins and nucleic acids to their simpler components; they produce a particularly unpleasant stench in the process.

STERILE WORT STARTER BOTTLE
EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLYS NEEDED
1 pkg of yeast------------------------------------/1 --- two liter flask --- 200 grams of DME. --- 1 jar of 5.2 buffers --- 2000 ml of water treated with 5.2 buffers. ---1 --- small stirrer with magnet --- aeration pump --- 1/8 tsp yeast nutrient. --- 1 small pot for boiling or one small pressure cooker. --- 2 of 1 qt mason jars with lids. ---
step 1 --- place 200 grams of DME and 1/8 tsp of yeast nutrient in 2000 ml flask and top to 2000 ml with water treated with 5.2 buffer
step 2 --- pour mixture into a small pot and boil for 15 minutes
step 3 --- sterilize the 2000 ml flask or have a sterile flask ready
step 4 --- pour wort from pot into the flask, cover the mouth with foil and cool to pitching temperature and oxygenate for 15 minutes if not using magnetic stirrer
notes:
A --- this starter may be sterilized in a pressure cooker instead of boiling.
B --- if using a mason jars, sterilize them with lids.
C --- oxygenating with the stirrer is best but (( monitor the temperature)))
D --- use 5.2 buffer on starter bottle and main wort.
E ---. Yeast like a ph pf around 5
F --- NOTE: 18/24/36 or 48 hours to allow multiplication.
G --- NOTE: Rehydrate dry yeast before adding it to the starter bottle.
1 --- yeast pack must be at room temperature
2 --- Sanitize the containers, scissors, stirrer and yeast packet.
3 --- Water should be warm not cold—105 degrees f.
4 --- sprinkle yeast on water in container
5 --- Allow 15 minutes then gently stir
6 --- wait 5 minutes then gently stir again
7 --- rehydrated yeast and sterile wort must be at room temp—same temp,
8 --- wait another 5 minutes then pour rehydrated yeast into starter bottle

ONE LAST METHOD FOR CONSIDERATION

EQUIPMENT NEEDED - 2 of 2000 ml flasks and 2 airlocks with bungs
ALSO NEEDED are 2 packs of whatever yeast we are going to use plus yeast nutrient, energizer and hulls.

1 -- A 48-hour starter bottle is to introduce a much larger starter bottle to the wort.
2 -- To get the 48-hour bottle timed correctly, the bottle must be started in the morning on the day before we are going to mash the grains..
3 - The mashing, wort cooling and aeration must be timed to be ready for pitching when the starter bottle is ready.
MAKING A YEAST STARTER
- -The following instructions are for making a 4000 ml starter in 2 2000 ml. flasks or a 1-gallon glass container. Use 2 packs of lallemand dry yeast
1. MAKE 1000 ml of STERILE WORT BY.
2. Usually, this is about 1 cup of DME (add 20 % for liquid malt extract) or- (3.25 oz of sugar) - to 1L of water.
NOTE: this may be stored in sterilized mason jars.
Boil the solution for about 10 minutes, then cool to 70F, as quickly as possible.
2. BRING 1000ML OF WATER TO A BOIL, in a covered pan to sterilize, and allow cooling to room temperature while still covered.
3. WHILE THE WATER COOLS, SANITIZE THE FLASK, STOPPER, AIRLOCK, YEAST Packs, AND A PAIR OF SCISSORS.
4. POUR 1000 ML OF boiled room temperature WATER INTO THE SANITIZED FLASK. Add 1000 ml of sterile wort
5. MEASURE .5 TEASPOON OF YEAST NUTRIENT AND ADD TO THE MUST IN THE FLASK. Gently swirl the flasks to dissolve the nutrient.
5A --- Aerate the liquid for 15 minutest.
6. USING THE SANITIZED SCISSORS, CUT OFF A CORNER OF THE YEAST PACKS
Hydrate the yeast in warm water for 15 minutes AND POUR THE YEAST INTO THE FLASK.
7. SEAL THE FLASK WITH an air lock.
7A. READ SECTIONS 8 A & B VERY CAREFULLY
Note: Section 8 A&B must be followed exactly.
8— After 24 hours Add 1000 ml of wort to a second sanitized empty 2000 ml beaker
YOU MUST add the second 1000 ml of wort to the bottle just before adding the sulfite and pectic enzyme so the bottle can work overnight
8A --- Pour the liquids back and fort to mix. Aerate for another 10 minutes
8B --- after 8 hours add another 1000 ml of wort and aerate for 10 minutes
9. TO PITCH THE STARTER INTO THE MAIN BATCH, SWIRL THE FLASK TO PICK UP THE SEDIMENT AT THE BOTTOM, AND POUR IT INTO THE FERMENTER -