logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 02, 2012 12:12:51 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Anybody know why a SF and Rye wash would start smelling light to moderate of vinegar? Then the finished hooch..which made about the expected amount also have a vinegar aroma? Thanks.
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 02, 2012 12:32:24 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I would bet its gonna come back to the towel over the fermenter, instead of the lock down lid with an airlock because the availiability of o2 in the early stages of yeast growth will indeed turn your wash into vinegar. That would be my first assumption.
#3 Posted : Monday, September 03, 2012 3:42:11 AM(UTC)

Thanks. I actually aint been doing the towel thing. This come out of the Brute with a snap on lid and upside garbage bag over the top. Poured it up this morn after airing out all night and noticed not a hint of the vinegar smell but the volume was lower than expected. Wound up with slightly less than 3 qts..which of that the excess over the first two qts was mysteriously tailsy smelling. This is one of the last two ferments which seemed to get itself stuck at 1.020 even though this one had eventually fell a little under that but not where it should be. Had been expecting a gallon or so since it was around a 12 gallon wash. Good news is checked the new wash made with the wrong SF and its already sinking the checker gauge down to double naught. Thought yeast needed o2 in the early growth stages? I intentionally gave it a bunch of fish bubbler aeration and stuff on the front end. Maybe I need to knock that crap off huh? Cant see the air attacking after the lid went on but coulda been I guess.
Offline ratflinger  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 03, 2012 5:13:25 AM(UTC)
ratflinger

Groups: Registered

Well you need air on the front end to get the yeast going & multiplying. After that they need to go anaerobic to start making the wonderful by-product we are looking for.
Offline fatboylo  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 03, 2012 6:16:07 AM(UTC)
fatboylo

Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Thanks. I actually aint been doing the towel thing. This come out of the Brute with a snap on lid and upside garbage bag over the top. Poured it up this morn after airing out all night and noticed not a hint of the vinegar smell but the volume was lower than expected. Wound up with slightly less than 3 qts..which of that the excess over the first two qts was mysteriously tailsy smelling. This is one of the last two ferments which seemed to get itself stuck at 1.020 even though this one had eventually fell a little under that but not where it should be. Had been expecting a gallon or so since it was around a 12 gallon wash. Good news is checked the new wash made with the wrong SF and its already sinking the checker gauge down to double naught. Thought yeast needed o2 in the early growth stages? I intentionally gave it a bunch of fish bubbler aeration and stuff on the front end. Maybe I need to knock that crap off huh? Cant see the air attacking after the lid went on but coulda been I guess.

Big I been camping for 2 days and drinking the fruits of my labor.;........But I do member reading somewhere about that vinagar thing........give me some time and I'll try and find it for ya!!!!!!!
#6 Posted : Monday, September 03, 2012 9:36:42 AM(UTC)

Well thanks Sir. Thats mighty nice of you. Seems like I read about it somewhere but done forget what it said. lol. One variant might be the SF. It was the last of a big batch of real good stuff which had been in the ice box for a good while. I had used it quite a bit but went off into lala land with cornmeal for a while and come back to it. It looked and smelled fine and did not notice any bugs in it. If that can offer any clues. Or maybe the rye flakes were the culprit. Aint fooled with that stuff enough to know if it has any bad habits. Know early in the wash it had big white cornflake looking things floating around on top but they seemed to eventually diminish. Its just a puzzler huh?
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 03, 2012 12:45:56 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: ratflinger Go to Quoted Post
Well you need air on the front end to get the yeast going & multiplying. After that they need to go anaerobic to start making the wonderful by-product we are looking for.

Let me clarify plz..
Yes my thoughts exactly...we need to oxygenate our wash with the bubbler which he stated he did but that is adding disolved o2 into the wash which is good, now once we have got it rollin along and give it all the exposure to o2 it can stand well...thats where the vinegar prollem kicks in -- hence the need for a lockdown lid and an airlock."
Offline muadib2001  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 03, 2012 1:15:23 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Know early in the wash it had big white cornflake looking things floating around on top but they seemed to eventually diminish.

Here's a quote by Mtnwalker posted on this site 04/21/2010 7:31pm http://www.brewhausforum...-wash-Bacteria-problems:
"Also, if its the least bit open weave like cheescloth, a fruit fly will just dive in, and infefect with vinegar bacteria. If whatever those things, cheatos?, are fuzzy, its mold. Other wise I would say its bacteria. Read where there is a white bacteria that eats all the alchohol in wines and renderes it like water. If you don't use internal electric elements i would run it and be done with it. Really sterilize your fermenter afterwords. Everything like racking tube, and spoons, vinometer etc. Kill all spores."
#9 Posted : Monday, September 03, 2012 11:28:34 PM(UTC)

Got gotcha thanks. Will go heavy on the sterilizing.