logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2012 10:07:14 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

Groups: Registered

"wow what a day...
I got up around 8am this morning to get everything setup.
I opened the wash. It hasnt been opened or moved since the 15th of Aug. It still looked good and smelled just like wine. It even tasted pretty good a little sweet. Once I opened the lid it started to bubble then these chunks of idk maybe yeast started floating to the top. I carefully drained the juices into the cooker spilling some. I set my still up in reflux mode connected up the water lines and turned on the burner time is 8:45. at around 9:30 I started seeing the temp rise and it started to drip. I tossed out the first 50Ml of junk and collected the rest at 200Ml at a time.
My first 200Ml came off 186 proof 93% abv, The second 200ml proof was 180 at 90% abv time 10:50, 3rd 200ml 178 proof at 89% abv time 11:30, 4th 200ml came off at 175 proof 87.5 abv at 12:00, 5th 200ml came off at 165 proof at 82.5 abv time 12:40 this mid day sun played havok on the temps and i had to keep adjusting it. make it tough. 6th 200ml came off at 184 proof at 92% abv time 1:10, dont know why this one was higher but it is. 7th 200ml came off at 174 proof 87% abv time 1:45, 8th 200ml came off at 174 proof also time 2:48, 9th 200ml came off at 140 proof 70 abv at 3:30.

Okay so not bad on the proof. The mid day sun wore me out. I shut the operation down just after the 9th 200ml. I was tired hot hungry and it's football time in Tennessee.
I mixed one of those jars with some bottled water to cut it down to 90 proof to which i did now the contents are not clear in fact it's cloudy. what did I do wrong. It still proofs around 96 but its not clear. errr.
I'm so tired of smelling hooch today i think i got a contact high. Once I shut everything down and cooled off the still i poured what was left in the cooker back into my ferment bucket and i have about 4.5 gallons left Could this be possible....
any tips or advice before i continue cooking or drinking for that matter.
thanks
J"
Offline fatboylo  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2012 5:43:45 PM(UTC)
fatboylo

Originally Posted by: johnnyapplepie Go to Quoted Post
wow what a day...
I got up around 8am this morning to get everything setup.
I opened the wash. It hasnt been opened or moved since the 15th of Aug. It still looked good and smelled just like wine. It even tasted pretty good a little sweet. Once I opened the lid it started to bubble then these chunks of idk maybe yeast started floating to the top. I carefully drained the juices into the cooker spilling some. I set my still up in reflux mode connected up the water lines and turned on the burner time is 8:45. at around 9:30 I started seeing the temp rise and it started to drip. I tossed out the first 50Ml of junk and collected the rest at 200Ml at a time.
My first 200Ml came off 186 proof 93% abv, The second 200ml proof was 180 at 90% abv time 10:50, 3rd 200ml 178 proof at 89% abv time 11:30, 4th 200ml came off at 175 proof 87.5 abv at 12:00, 5th 200ml came off at 165 proof at 82.5 abv time 12:40 this mid day sun played havok on the temps and i had to keep adjusting it. make it tough. 6th 200ml came off at 184 proof at 92% abv time 1:10, dont know why this one was higher but it is. 7th 200ml came off at 174 proof 87% abv time 1:45, 8th 200ml came off at 174 proof also time 2:48, 9th 200ml came off at 140 proof 70 abv at 3:30.

Okay so not bad on the proof. The mid day sun wore me out. I shut the operation down just after the 9th 200ml. I was tired hot hungry and it's football time in Tennessee.
I mixed one of those jars with some bottled water to cut it down to 90 proof to which i did now the contents are not clear in fact it's cloudy. what did I do wrong. It still proofs around 96 but its not clear. errr.
I'm so tired of smelling hooch today i think i got a contact high. Once I shut everything down and cooled off the still i poured what was left in the cooker back into my ferment bucket and i have about 4.5 gallons left Could this be possible....
any tips or advice before i continue cooking or drinking for that matter.
thanks
J

Wow is right! Johnny I don't know but man it sounds to me like you went to work for a construction company today. I'm not sure of the Ml thing, so if I understand you right you ended up with about 1800ml? Whats that break down to in Quarts and pints? What type of hooching machine are you running. Here is what I done today! I put 2.5 Gal of mash in my pot still and got 1.5 pint of 140, one pint of 110, 1 quart of 90 and 1.5 quart of 70. I then shut it down. Time? 3.5 hours. I really don't knock my rocket fuel down because the way I see it when I add my flavor(flavored water, coke, orange juice...etc..) thats my knock down. I can drink about 1/3 of that pint of 140 and be done.....cooked like a goose. Sounds like you had a productive day but were wore out. I am not sure about all the work with a hobby like this. Have fun with it. After a while you will learn to relax. When you start to understand the cuts it will become more clear and a whole lot easier. For example: if you would have taking you first cut at 186 and blended it with your 2nd 180, it should have panned out to be 183. Your 3rd 178 blended would have become approx. 180....... and so on!!!!!! I don't know about the 50ml fores depends on how much you are starting to run with.......and the size of your operation. The cloudy stuff sounds like tails, low in ABV and smells like a dogs ass. Don't pour these back into you mash, but rather save that 1st 50ml and all those stincky tails in a different container until you have enough of them to run by theirself. Then My man you will produce some rocket fuel!!!!! Glad you got some on your first run.....trust me you will gain knowledge with every run and it keeps getting better. For me the run is now easy, being consistant with the mash.....well thats another part of this sport......Happy hooching!
Offline Bushy  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2012 7:35:03 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Hey Fats, are you telling me you got 4 quarts out of a 2-1/2 gallon run?
That's uuuuuuuuuuum outstanding.........Really?

Oh and Hey Johnny throw the first 50 to 100ml away or save it for cleaning parts or whatever. That stuff is acetone and methel alcohol along with some other nasty poisons.
Do put aside the tails and throw them into your next run.
Sounds like you had a pretty good run for your first one. The 6th jar you got a higher ABV than the prior jar? That leads me to think you added more tower water to compensate for the suns effects, right? If that is true then you were running a little to hot for my style until you put more water through the tower. But to each his own. Running hot will also cause your heads and tails to smear across the hearts and that is what causes cloudiness when you add water to it.
For the cleanest cuts run your heat low and your output slow. Like 3 to 5 drops /second.

Have Fun.
Offline fatboylo  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 01, 2012 3:19:39 AM(UTC)
fatboylo

Originally Posted by: Bushy Go to Quoted Post

Oh and Hey Johnny throw the first 50 to 100ml away or save it for cleaning parts or whatever. That stuff is acetone and methel alcohol along with some other nasty poisons.
Sounds like you had a pretty good run for your first one. The 6th jar you got a higher ABV than the prior jar? That leads me to think you added more tower water to compensate for the suns effects, right? If that is true then you were running a little to hot for my style until you put more water through the tower. But to each his own. Running hot will also cause your heads and tails to smear across the hearts and that is what causes cloudiness when you add water to it.
For the cleanest cuts run your heat low and your output slow. Like 3 to 5 drops /second.

Have Fun.

Yes Sir Bushy I sure did! Those last 2 end up in my fients. This mash has been working for a bit over 3 weeks. At about 2 I thought it was stuck. I thought what thell.....It was 15 gal at that time. I took another 10 lb of sugar and 1.5 gal water and added 4 more tbl spoons of flieshmanns yeast. It took off again and thats what I ended up with. This was the second run from that batch. The first I got about a quart of good drinking hooch and 2 quarts of the stinkies. BUT......I noticed that there was a strange flavor in my drinking hooch, almost like an oil, I thought holy crap I have jacked this whole fermit up. I made a second run yesterday and was quite suprised as well. I am gonna run another batch here in just a bit I'll let you know. You know another wierd thing is my stinkies never did cloud up but I did slow down to a crawl on the drip.
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 01, 2012 4:51:46 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Sounds like a couple of good runs there fellas. Congrats. Hey Johnny..there is always a bunch of leftover back-set once most of the hooch has been removed from the liquid. Now why all that nasty stuff needs to be in the fermenter I aint quite figgered out yet..lol. Temporary holding vessel hopefully. If you want to try a sour mash on the next ferment most recommend a gallon of the stuff (25% ratio) be added for a 5-6 gallon wash. Think Whitewolf says he uses 2 gallons but he adds calcium carbonate to bring the ph up. That stuff is apparently real acidic and gets lower on the scale each time it is run yet again. Not sure on the cloudiness issue. I started out proofing with store bought distilled water but wouldnt you know I ran out so have been using filtered ice box water and cant tell much difference. Might be if you let it air out a while it might clear up.
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 01, 2012 4:00:37 PM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

"
Originally Posted by: fatboylo Go to Quoted Post
Wow is right! Johnny I don't know but man it sounds to me like you went to work for a construction company today. I'm not sure of the Ml thing, so if I understand you right you ended up with about 1800ml? Whats that break down to in Quarts and pints? What type of hooching machine are you running. Here is what I done today! I put 2.5 Gal of mash in my pot still and got 1.5 pint of 140, one pint of 110, 1 quart of 90 and 1.5 quart of 70. I then shut it down. Time? 3.5 hours. I really don't knock my rocket fuel down because the way I see it when I add my flavor(flavored water, coke, orange juice...etc..) thats my knock down. I can drink about 1/3 of that pint of 140 and be done.....cooked like a goose. Sounds like you had a productive day but were wore out. I am not sure about all the work with a hobby like this. Have fun with it. After a while you will learn to relax. When you start to understand the cuts it will become more clear and a whole lot easier. For example: if you would have taking you first cut at 186 and blended it with your 2nd 180, it should have panned out to be 183. Your 3rd 178 blended would have become approx. 180....... and so on!!!!!! I don't know about the 50ml fores depends on how much you are starting to run with.......and the size of your operation. The cloudy stuff sounds like tails, low in ABV and smells like a dogs ass. Don't pour these back into you mash, but rather save that 1st 50ml and all those stincky tails in a different container until you have enough of them to run by theirself. Then My man you will produce some rocket fuel!!!!! Glad you got some on your first run.....trust me you will gain knowledge with every run and it keeps getting better. For me the run is now easy, being consistant with the mash.....well thats another part of this sport......Happy hooching!

Hey Fatboylo: yeah it felt like construction work too. that's right i got 1800 ml which is around 4.5 pints. I'm not sure if thats about the normal for a 5 gallon wash. I was expecting a bit more. as far as hooching machine I use a Brewhaus PSII reflux still. I threw about about the first 50 ml of fores. I am having some trouble figuring out when the heads stop and the hearts and tails start. But i'll figure that out in time I guess.
It was so much fun doing this Friday and I can't wait until i do it again."
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 01, 2012 4:07:46 PM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

Originally Posted by: Bushy Go to Quoted Post

Thank Bushy you are right i did turn the flow up a bit more on the tower water to make up for the mid day sun. Let me ask ya this. Do you run cooling water to the tower and full strength the whole run? I would adjust the flow control to the tower to keep the temp just right. every once in a while it would run up high esp after noon. or it would drop real low like to 70c. What tips could you offer me to control running hot. It did appear at times that when the temps rose up to like 80 to 82c the drip would flow a lot faster.
Thanks!
Offline Bushy  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 01, 2012 4:44:45 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi Johnny, Take a look at the thread called "Why you can't control vapor temperature ". It's the Sticky Thread right above this one. I think the answer your looking for may be there. If not, or you have more questions just give a hollar.

Have Fun.