logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mercerks  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2012 12:40:32 PM(UTC)
Mercerks

Groups: Registered

A friend wants a 100 proof apple pie. Could I just adjust some of my 160 and add concentrate frozen cider to it? Or make the juice mix and add tons of 160 to it and adjust then???
Offline Bushy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2012 2:37:39 PM(UTC)
Bushy

"Here is a link to a calculater you may find useful. I usually but a jug of cider for the apple pie. Something clear anyway.
The calcs are for water but will work with any type of liquid.

http://homedistiller.org/calcs/dilute

Have Fun."
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 12:57:07 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: Mercerks Go to Quoted Post
A friend wants a 100 proof apple pie. Could I just adjust some of my 160 and add concentrate frozen cider to it? Or make the juice mix and add tons of 160 to it and adjust then???

Just something to thing about...once you mix the hooch and the juice you wont be able to measure the alcohol level with your hydrometer. You just have to make a educated guess as to the %. And if you use 160 it WILL taste different than a lower proof. What I do is cut my likker to 120-130 and use a qt. and a quarter and add that to 3 quarts of juice its like 3/1 ratio. If you think about a mixed drink its only 80 proof and it works well enough for most of us."
Offline Mkjt88  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 1:25:05 PM(UTC)
Mkjt88

http://www.moonshineheri...log/apple-pie-moonshine/
You will have to slightly adjust since your proof is lower but this is a good recipe.. you can get an idea of quantities and ingredients to use though. Hope it helps
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 3:17:53 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

a little tip that I thought i'd pass along,
Instead of using cinnamon sticks I used cinnamon powder (that I got from the spice isle at the grocery store) from my experience it's easier to dissolve and blends real well with apple juice or apple cider.
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:40:03 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

"Ok here tis:

Bigwheel's World Famous Top Secret Grand Prize Wiinng Apple Pie (Revised 9/28/12)

1 Gallon Treetop Apple Cider
1 Gallon Treetop Apple Juice
1 pack cinnamon sticks
2 apples peeled and sliced
2 cups white sugar *(total optional on sugar..use it or dont..my juice was real tart so felt like it needed some)
1 cup brown sugar
2 qts strong shine

Boil up the juice and sugar..add the sticks and the apples sliced and let them cook a little..not mushy. Cool it down overnight. Strain through a permanent coffee filter. Jar it up with a few apple slices. Makes 10.75 qts.

Originally Posted by: johnnyapplepie Go to Quoted Post
a little tip that I thought i'd pass along,
Instead of using cinnamon sticks I used cinnamon powder (that I got from the spice isle at the grocery store) from my experience it's easier to dissolve and blends real well with apple juice or apple cider.
"
Offline Mkjt88  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:47:33 PM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Actually just went shopping for ingredients the other day for some apple pie. Wal mart didnt carry the damn cinna sticks so gotta wait and hit up the grocery store for those and some cider. I didn't think about adding the real apple.. Think I just may throw it on in there.. thanks for that!
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2012 1:25:06 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

Mkjt88, like you my grocery store didn't have any cinnamon sticks so I went with power. It tastes the same and a whole lot cheaper than the sticks. I can get a good size spice cinnamon for just over a buck. Everyone that's tried my apple pie comes back for more so i must be doing something right.
BW, there isn't a mess with Cinnamon powder just shake the container over the contents and let er cook and dissolve. (kinda like shaking salt on ya dinner). I don't add anymore to the finished products either. I do put a slice of green apple in each jar (just as a garnishment).
Offline Mkjt88  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2012 9:59:22 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

How much powder do you add to equal about a stick.. Maybe teaspoon or so?
Offline Mkjt88  
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2012 2:33:41 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Well appreciate the tip.. Got me some cider and powder yesterday bout to do some figuring here and make me a batch