logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mkjt88  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:04:33 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Groups: Registered

I am very new in distilling and I am not very good on telling when my heads are over.. and when the tails start. I keep everything after 173 or so.. Toss everything before which are the heads correct? But I never know when to separate the good stuff from the tails. What are some of the easiest ways to know when the heads end and tails start?
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:24:38 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I DIDNT WRITE THIS---I COPIED IT FROM SOMEWHERE.

Making the cuts
Probably the most elusive part of the distilling process for making whiskey, is making
the cuts from heads to hearts and then to tails. Making a cut from one phase to the next is
the point where the distiller switches the output so that itís collected in a different receiver
than the previous phase. At the end of the spirit run, the heads will be in one container,
the hearts in another, and the tails in a third one. The question is, when to switch from one
phase to the next?
Experienced distillers do this by taste. Even though there are measurable parameters
like still-head temperature and percent alcohol of the evolving spirit that can be used to
judge when to make the cuts, taste and smell still remain the most reliable method of determining
them.
The empirical parameters for judging the cuts are: the percent alcohol of the spirit that's
flowing out of the still (i.e. the evolving spirit); and, the still-head temperature. However,
these vary from one still to the next, and vary based on the properties of the low-wine (e.g.,
percent alcohol, and quantity). It is possible to develop a consistent process using the same
still and the same quantity and a formulation of low-wine, such that the parameters remain
the same for each run. For example, if a spirit run is being done in an artisan reflux still
with low-wine that is 35% abv, the begin-cut (i.e. the cut from heads to hearts) is usually
done when the evolving distillate is at about 80% and when the still-head temperature is
about 180 degrees. And, the end-cut (i.e., the cut from hearts to tails) is often done at about
65% and when the still-head temperature is about 200 degrees. However, a spirit distilled
from a straight malt wash, can often be end-cut as low as 60%. It's because of these nuances
that smell and taste become the only truly reliable indicators of when to make the cuts.
When making the begin-cut, the taste characteristics that the distiller is looking for are
as follows. When a spirit run comes to boil and the first d istillate starts flowing from the
still, this is the beginning of the heads phase. The distiller can collect a small sample of the
distillate on a spoon or in a wine glass and smell it. At this stage, the distillate will have the
sickening smell of solvents like nail polish remover or paintbrush cleaner. However, before
long this solvent smell will diminish, and even when a sample is tasted these compounds
will be very faint. As the solvent character disappears completely, the distillate will start to
take on a hint of whiskey flavor. This flavor will increase until it becomes very pronounced
and highly concentrated. It's when this flavor is clearly evident (i.e., more than just a hint)
but is still increasing in intensity that the distiller cuts to the hearts phase
To make the end-cut the distiller needs to monitor the flavor of the hearts through the
following changes in taste. At the beginning of the hearts phase, the intensity of the whiskey
flavor will still be increasing, and will continue to do so until it becomes very strong.
However, as the hearts continue, the intense whiskey flavor will fade into a smooth, sweet,
pleasant flavor that will persist for most of the hearts. The flavor will change slightly as the
hearts progress but it will remain sweet and pleasant. Towards the end of the hearts, the
flavor will start losing its sweetness and a trace of harsh bitterness will being to appear in
the flavor. This harsh, bitter flavor is the onset of the tails. While a small amount of this
bitterness is considered to contribute to the "bite" character of the whiskey, the distiller
should cut to the tails receiver before mush of it is allowed to enter the hearts.
The tails can be collected until the evolving distillate is down to about 10% and the stillhead
temperature is about 210 degrees. The reason for doing this is to render all the residual
alcohol that's left in the still at the end of the hearts phase. This alcohol can then be
recovered in a future spirit run.
The tails phase starts out bitter, and the bitterness becomes more intense as the tails
continue, but as the tails progress, the bitterness subsides and gives way to a sweet-tasting
water. This sweet water is called "backins.
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:26:46 AM(UTC)
scotty

HERE IS SOMETHING ELSE I COPIED--- I SAVE LOTS OF INSTRUCTIONS

So the time has come for your first distillation with a pot still you have made. Run your charge and then there are only a few steps that need to be followed:
1. Add boiling chips to your wash - these will help the boiling be smoother. None if internal heat source
1A--Add whiskey feints if compatable
2. Heat up the wash to near its boiling temperature - from 78C to 100C depending on its alcohol content.
3. If you have some means of cooling your condensor coil, turn it when the wash is about to boil.
4. Once liquid starts to drip from the condenser, turn down the heat on the boiler.
5. Throw out the first 50 milliliters of your wash. If there is methanol in your wash, it will come out in the first 50 milliliters.
6. Collect your distillate in small containers.
- Label each container so you know which is from what part of your run
- Optimally, you'll probably want 5-10 small containers per run. The more, the better.
7. After you have collected as much alcohol as you see fit, turn off the heat to the boiler, and let your apparatus cool down for a little while.
8. Judge the contents of those individual bottles. The first ones may still have a slight "flowery" smell to them - residual from the heads. The middle ones may be fairly neutral - just an "alcohol" smell to them. The last ones may be more harsh - getting into a "wet cardboard" smell. Take the middle ones, and incrementally add in the heads and the tails to suit your tastes. If you find the heads & tails containers (eg the first & last few) too strong, do not use them, but rather add them to the next batch you brew.
============================================================================================================================

When doing a stripping run - i.e. 'low-wines' for a second run later at higher proof, at what proof read at the parrot do ya'll call it off with that particular batch of wash? My batches started out pulling off 50-40%, but towards the end, were pulling off very weak 20%, with very little bad-taste.

Would you go further than that? I don't think I was into the 'tails' all that badly due to taste, but i was getting a little cloudiness in the jug.

The second run came off starting at 80%, I stopped the second run at 50%, will rerun the leftovers in another stripping run.

The way my pot is currently setup, there is no thermometer.
=============================================================================================================

9) How do I run a Pot Still ?
A pot still is fairly straight forward to use. Turn it on. Once the temperature is up to about 60 °C turn on the cooling water to the condensor. Make sure you throw away the first 1 00 mL per 20L wash, as this will contain any methanol that might be present. Segregate the distillate into 500 mL lots as it comes off. Only keep (for drinking) that which doesn't contain fusels (smell off) - probably below about 92 ° C, however you should keep distilling past here, untill about 96 ° C, as this fraction, although high in tails and not good for drinking this time, can be added back to the next wash and cleaned up OK then
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:28:49 AM(UTC)
scotty

"MORE SAVED INFO. i CANT GUARANTT THE EXACTNESS AS ALL THINGS ARE DIFERENT FOLKS EXPERIENCES

1-- FORESHOTS should start to emerge at a head temp of about 174 deg F--discard the first
150 ml

2-heads should start at about 176F TO 195F---collect heads in 8 ounce glasses till %ABV reaches 85% than start collecting main body

3-- from 196F to 201-203F collec the main body----stop collecting main body when %ABV reaches 50 to 65%

4-- Collect tails from 50 to 65% ABV till head temp becomes unstable and rises to the 200+degrees F range.

5-- Stop collecting tails at about 20% ABV

6-- mix heads and tails for the next low wines run

7--always save heads and tails((feints)) to add to the subsequent low wines runs

8-- When you have enough feints to make a run just with feints, do so for a very special result ?????

RUNNING A STILL BY HEAD TEMPERATURE

ON BOTH POT AND REFLUX STILLS , DISCARD ANYTHINH UNDER 75C-167 F.

stop collecting with the pot at --198 F.

stop collecting with the reflux still at 98 C-- 201 deg F"
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:28:57 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"MK, in my experience giving you an exact temp could and would lead to uncertainties. I dont know what still your useing but just remember to toss out 100-150mls with a pot still tower and at least 50-100mls with a reflux tower. Now these are estimations and pretty much open for debate. But if you start with those figures and work from there you should get the forshots removed.
Now with the heads I know with my setup that I get about a pint and a half, but I dont toss that out until I can give a good sniff the next day or somewhere there about that time span. IN the beginning of the run I do toss the first full pint of juice that comes over and that is for sure the foreshots and a good portion of the heads. Then I start collecting and the next day I use my nose to pick out what smells petroleum like and where it gets very soft smelling. Again collect in small jars like 1/2 pint quantities so you can really seperate the good from the not so good, and you do that with your nose.
The tails will come after a few hours and just keep collecting, until your temp gets up pretty hot like 198-205F. Agaiin these are open for debate and once you learn your setup you 'll be happier with the end result."
Offline Mkjt88  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:09:36 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Thanks for the responses! I guess I will have to use my senses then. But I do have another question that you brought up about the temperatures getting over 200 degrees. Many places I have read say to keep the temperate around 173-190 while distilling. Now as I use low to medium heat do I follow this? Should I kill the heat once it reaches 190+ and let it cool or just let it run naturally and collect the higher temps in different containers?
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:20:09 AM(UTC)
heeler

Once your temp is set and your in the collection mode the temp will gradually increase on its own. This is perfectly normal and the finishing temp is really up to you and your nose. Remember water boils at 212F and we don't want to collect water. Most dont go beyond 195-200F cause your really close to the tails but I've read recently that some folks like to drink the tails. I cant knock em for it. Just collect in lots of smaller jars and take a few hydrometer readings in the higher temp ranges of the run so if what you get at the higher temps isnt to your liken its not mixed up with all the good stuff. 200F is pretty much the end so just keep that in mind and let your nose be your guide.
Offline heeler  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:25:04 AM(UTC)
heeler

"UserPostedImage
This is a jug of heads and the nasty look and smell of tails. Some like it and some just add it to the next boil. Let your nose be your guide in the morning when you line all those jars up and start sniffin to figger out what is heads - hearts - and tails."
Offline heeler  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:34:05 AM(UTC)
heeler

MK, one more little tidbit of a suggestion. Go to the top of the page - see where it says (Advanced Search) type in -- Foreshots-Heads-Hearts and Tails. That will take you to some other threads -- then scroll down to the thread with the same title and what you just searched. That may shed a little light on things too. Just more info to add to the arsenal. Hope this helps ya.
Offline Mkjt88  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:54:29 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

sure has.. appreciate it guys
Offline Vince  
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2014 7:44:32 AM(UTC)
Vince

"
Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
MORE SAVED INFO. i CANT GUARANTT THE EXACTNESS AS ALL THINGS ARE DIFERENT FOLKS EXPERIENCES

1-- FORESHOTS should start to emerge at a head temp of about 174 deg F--discard the first
150 ml

2-heads should start at about 176F TO 195F---collect heads in 8 ounce glasses till %ABV reaches 85% than start collecting main body

3-- from 196F to 201-203F collec the main body----stop collecting main body when %ABV reaches 50 to 65%

4-- Collect tails from 50 to 65% ABV till head temp becomes unstable and rises to the 200+degrees F range.

5-- Stop collecting tails at about 20% ABV

6-- mix heads and tails for the next low wines run

7--always save heads and tails((feints)) to add to the subsequent low wines runs

8-- When you have enough feints to make a run just with feints, do so for a very special result ?????

RUNNING A STILL BY HEAD TEMPERATURE

ON BOTH POT AND REFLUX STILLS , DISCARD ANYTHINH UNDER 75C-167 F.

stop collecting with the pot at --198 F.

stop collecting with the reflux still at 98 C-- 201 deg F

There's one this I'm not quite sure about. When you say collect until 20% ABV, or 65% ABV, etc... Do you mean the ABV% of the total distillate that you've collected thus far, or the %ABV of the immediate distillate coming from the condenser?"
Offline RCRed  
#12 Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2014 8:12:09 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Vince Go to Quoted Post
.... the %ABV of the immediate distillate coming from the condenser?
Yes, that :)

Each container will have less and less EtOH as you get to the end of the run..
Offline heeler  
#13 Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2014 11:14:30 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
Originally Posted by: Vince Go to Quoted Post
There's one this I'm not quite sure about. When you say collect until 20% ABV, or 65% ABV, etc... Do you mean the ABV% of the total distillate that you've collected thus far, or the %ABV of the immediate distillate coming from the condenser?

clarification..........20% ABV is 40 proof and 65% ABV is 130 proof....as you make your run you should be collecting in little jars, and by doing that you can take a hydrometer reading at any time during the run, so when you get into the run and take a reading and if it's 20% ----- you see where this is going right????
Hope this helps clear up some uncertainties."