logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Bushy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:09:15 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Groups: Registered

"Hey Scotty, the bag from a bolt idea sounds like it would work just fine. I've never tried making corn essential oil before, I've only done herbs.
Try dried cracked corn that's been rehydrated, soaked in some water, first. I would only soak it long enough to soften it up some, you don't want it mushy.
If that does'nt work out well I would try useing fresh corn cut off the cob.
Save the hydrsol as it might be useful in your mash. Mine usually has a lot of aroma in it.

I'm in the middle of remodeling my first pot still, made with a pressure cooker. Going to add an herb pot on top. I've out grown the chem lab it's too small for my use but is a great way to learn."
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:35:09 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Bushey i just read that corn oil comes from the germ and its a difficult process to extract. Is it possible in this case because steam might cause the corn, cracked or otherwise to gum up the works that boiling it and condensing the steam could produce some condensed flavored product.

I want to get some advice before trying the corn or the rye that i have. I just started to dig out the glass rig with the liebig. But i really dont know what to do. I have done quite a bit of infusion with vodkas but this is a very interesting new game.

Should i just drop the corn idea.

I'm turned on enough to convert the pot still that i bought from rick a couple of years ago and a POS boiler that i purchased from a competitor into an essense rig
Offline Bushy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:15:06 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Scotty I have no idea if it would produce what your looking for. It may just become a jelitinous mess. BUT I think it's worth a try.
Have you ever tasted the water left over from boiling corn? I have'nt but I will next time it's avaiable.
When I get my mods done on my still I have about 20Lbs of Lavender and another 20Lbs of Rosemary to distill. Then I'll have some time to try out this corn idea, and maybe some rye also, and then some barley ................ Well maybe corn and Rye.
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:13:57 PM(UTC)
scotty

Originally Posted by: Bushy Go to Quoted Post
Scotty I have no idea if it would produce what your looking for. It may just become a jelitinous mess. BUT I think it's worth a try.
Have you ever tasted the water left over from boiling corn? I have'nt but I will next time it's avaiable.
When I get my mods done on my still I have about 20Lbs of Lavender and another 20Lbs of Rosemary to distill. Then I'll have some time to try out this corn idea, and maybe some rye also, and then some barley ................ Well maybe corn and Rye.

Yes I was also thinking that in the case of simple flavorings, i might do well just boiling and filtering the corn/whatever water.

Right now i'm having a curse of a time finishing the 3/4 " hole that i drilled in a 15 gallon bayou classic ss pot. The material is so hard. I almost destroyed 1 stone so far and i cant get a good enough angle for a chissel to remove some larfe pieces.

The reason i am telling you this os because i wont set up the bio stills untill i get this grrrr pot finished.
Offline Bushy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:38:12 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hey Scotty have you tried useing a cobalt coated step drill? Works pretty good on thin,(less than 1/8"), SS. Not cheap to buy but real handy.
Offline scotty  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:40:48 AM(UTC)
scotty

My step drill seems sharp but i dont know what it is made of. Ill be more selective next time. I just ordered diamond coated 3/4 in hole saws for the next hole.
Offline Bushy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:22:36 AM(UTC)
Bushy

In drilling SS it work hardens real fast when heated up. I use a lot of WD-40 on the bit and metal to be drilled to keep it cool. Any way you look at it SS is a tough metal to work on unless you have a shop set up for it, and I can't afford that.

Good Luck
Offline scotty  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:19:44 AM(UTC)
scotty

Yes now i'm shure it hardened from heat and the hole was made from melting the ss partially. Well ill be paying for my lack of knowledge for a few days as i go out there for a few minutes at a time and run a grinding stonr to finish the surface