logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline abear  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:20:13 AM(UTC)
abear

Groups: Registered

I have some malt, rye and corn i plan on making a mash with.... after it ferments and does its thing, would you recommend running it in a pot still or a reflux? I heard that the reflux takes the flavor out and the pot still keeps the flavor in. From what i gather, the combination could give a great flavor and that is what i want but i dont want to run it through the reflux if i will lose the flavor... any thoughts? What would be best? New to this and tryign to figure this out. I will make the mash once it starts to cool down... be a good thing to do on a Saturday while watching some college football
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:46:42 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"abear,

You might want to try using your pot configuration first. Collect in multiple jars, run it all the way down and keep everything but your fores. If you make very narrow cuts & you don't like what you get, you can always throw everything back in and run it again using your full column to see if you like that better.

--JB"
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:54:25 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Double dittos. A person putting flavor on the top of the agenda should get to meet Mr. Potstill..lol. Would be a crying shame to reflux a good tasting carefully crafted labor intensive mash. Now how do we plan to mash all that good stuff? Thanks.
Offline abear  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:34:45 AM(UTC)
abear

Not sure on how i plan on mashing the ingredients...... any suggestions? I have an abundance or all the ingredients; will be fermenting in my 5 gallon fermenter.
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:58:37 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: abear Go to Quoted Post
Not sure on how i plan on mashing the ingredients...... any suggestions? I have an abundance or all the ingredients; will be fermenting in my 5 gallon fermenter.

abear, research the term mashing, that will help you out with this prollem. You said - not sure how I plan on mashing the ingredients...well that says maybe I should read up mashing. Not trying to be rude but knowledge is power so dont waste your goods just read up on mashing and the process will be easier in the long run and you'll be happier with the outcome.
Now if your gonna add 10 lbs of sugar anyway well just boil it up and add the sugar and there ya go no prollem. Cool"
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:27:00 AM(UTC)

Thanks Heeler. Spot on advice as usual. What kinda malt we got here? j/k Actually the last stanza of the good tips tugs at my heart strings for some reason. Boil up the sugar..lol. Add the malt for flavor and carry on Troop! Makes for a much simpler life and cant imagine much different tasting hooch. This is considering the difference in real mashing and a flavored sugar wash in case the young man who posed the inquiry aint up to speed on that part yet. Anybody who does "real" mashing needs to be in lock down somewhere or else making movies on how to teach dumb yups how to do it for themselves. There is a vast intellectual waste land out there. Its real similar to bbq cooking. Some are process oriented and some are results oriented. Most I run with are results oriented. Just figger out what works for you..lol Hoping this was Peerrfectly Clearr. V.

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
abear, research the term mashing, that will help you out with this prollem. You said - not sure how I plan on mashing the ingredients...well that says maybe I should read up mashing. Not trying to be rude but knowledge is power so dont waste your goods just read up on mashing and the process will be easier in the long run and you'll be happier with the outcome.
Now if your gonna add 10 lbs of sugar anyway well just boil it up and add the sugar and there ya go no prollem. Cool
Offline SpecialtyEnzymes  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:25:38 AM(UTC)
SpecialtyEnzymes

"Hey Abear,

Like bigwheel and heeler said, it might be a whole lot easier to go the way of sugar + mash flavoring, if what you want is just hooch in the end.

Mashing can be a real pain and it brings in all kinds of temperature control, pH, and long periods of time where you sit and stare at paint drying(or drink)... If that does not sound like something you are looking forward to, Heeler and Bigwheel have excellent plans for you.

Now the question of whether sugar + mash flavor = mash extraction flavors. I don't know about the home distilling level, but with some of the bigger boys it makes a difference to pull out the extra subtleties of the grains etc etc. Can that even be accomplished at the home level? I am not sure, i would have to try it Wink

Hope that is as clear as mud for yah!"
Offline scotty  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:39:16 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

What malt do you have and what corn do you have????
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:31:07 AM(UTC)

Ahh the list poleece and/or space aliens are playing tricks with my posts again. Dirty dawgs.