logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Fusefinder  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:08:06 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

Groups: Registered

I have 6-7" Dark Vanilla Beans about 1/4" diameter. I am planning on using them to flavor a light to almost neutral Rum.
How many per quart or gallon at 40% ABV would one recommend using?
Thanks
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:30:33 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I only know that in combination with pure alcohol they make a fine vanilla extract.

Making vanilla extract is fun and simple! Simply take 5 whole vanilla beans, split lengthwise and add to 8 ounces of 35%+ alcohol. Any type of alcohol can be used, but bottom shelf vodka is most common because it will not add any additional flavors to the extract. Bourbon, rum and brandy can also be used. After short 8 weeks the extract is ready to enjoy.
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:18:04 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I vote for half a bean per gallon sample after a few days maybe a half to a quarter mean per quart. As the man say strong hooch can draw the essence out of stuff pretty easy. Never clowned around much with vanilla beans but know some hundred proof with a lime floating in it can make a quart taste more like a lime than the lime does in three days. If it dont taste strong enough to suit give it more time or add a bean fragment or something. You prob gonna have little black specks floating around in there. Smart idear might be to make the tincture as described and add that. Not sure anybody want to wait 8 weeks to get some is the only thing. Try Adam's extract. That is the the kind my Mama used. Save the beans for ice cream. Just a thought.
Offline popapina  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 5:16:36 AM(UTC)
popapina

We make our own extract with the beans my wife brings home from the bakery, great stuff. With my imatation of Jack, we call Texas Jack one bean per gal.
popapina

Boy POP that recipe i found sounds like an over kill.

How long do you let the beans sit in the hooch??
#5 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 6:02:06 AM(UTC)

Thanks popapina..knew somebody bound to show up who know sheet from shineola on the deal. This got my few remaining live brain cells spinning on mundane topics. For instance is what you are making an extract or a tincture? Its a tincture..lol. The difference seems to reside in the ratio of flavorings to hooch. Extract gets in the 3 to one range whilst a tincture dont have any upper limits maybe. I mean if the rumor got out somebody was drinking vanilla extract it could ruin a person's reputation. Think everybody had an alcoholic uncle who did that back in prohibition. Little Bay Rum aftershave and canned heat on the side.

http://www.richters.com/...edicinal/20041219-2.html
Offline Fusefinder  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 7:15:52 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

I added 1 1/2 beans to just about a gallon.... I'll see how that does after about a week or so. I also added a 1/3 bean to a quart of science experiment I have with oak chips....they flavored on the heavy side and figured I would let them settle a while before tossing them back in the carboy of unrealistic expectations RollEyes
#7 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 7:59:43 AM(UTC)

Hmmm..that should work. Great creative adjectives you got going there. I am writing down the carboy of unrealistic expectations to be used again. Hope you aint got that patented..lol.
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:16:51 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

1 Liter of rum 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
just part of a spiced rum i do taste like the vanilla comes over good that way
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:17:00 PM(UTC)

Hey you got a good clone for Capn Morgan? I got a pal who needs to know how to make that stuff real bad. Thanks. I cant help him cuz I dont think I ever had none..and sure couldnt afford to go buy some as a reference sample...least till my humpback brother manages to straighten himself up. Let me know.

Originally Posted by: texaswhitewolf Go to Quoted Post
1 Liter of rum 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
just part of a spiced rum i do taste like the vanilla comes over good that way
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:39:56 PM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

Spices Rum Ingredients
1 Liter of rum distillate (fresh rum or aged)
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 cinnamon stick, chopped
5 whole allspice berries
5 whole black peppercorns
1/2 star anise (licorice taste)
1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
2 3-inch strips orange zest
i got some sitting now just didnt add the star anise yet let sit 24 hors or longer depends on taste
#11 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 9:31:07 AM(UTC)

Hey thanks..that sounds highly plausible. I will pass this on expeditiously. May even run off a batch myself just to see what all the fuss is about.

Originally Posted by: texaswhitewolf Go to Quoted Post
Spices Rum Ingredients
1 Liter of rum distillate (fresh rum or aged)
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 cinnamon stick, chopped
5 whole allspice berries
5 whole black peppercorns
1/2 star anise (licorice taste)
1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
2 3-inch strips orange zest
i got some sitting now just didnt add the star anise yet let sit 24 hors or longer depends on taste
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 9:51:20 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

got a sec gen rum im running trom going to add it all together and do a good run
#13 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 10:40:16 AM(UTC)

Sounds mighty fine. Did you ever figger out how much dunder the wash can survive and still carry out its fermentational chores?
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#14 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 11:37:52 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

to a 5 gal wash i add 1and half gals lol i run out of molasses so just add sugar and dap but with the backset i know i need more molasses but food first lol
#15 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 12:35:00 PM(UTC)

Hear you on the food. Stated a new ferment today. SF..which dont smell right to me for some reason and some rye flakes. Got to bulling around and forgot to add the rye..kick kick. Thinking the fella at BH say just soak it in hot water for a while..so tried that angle and dumped it just a while ago. Hoping the yeastes will find it accepatable or at least knock some flavor out with the alchyhol levels. Old ferment checking 1.040 and floating mighty high in the waves and aint made no progress in the last two days. If I have one more catastrophic failure..I am headed direct back to bread yeast. I have a pound looking for a target..lol. Thanks Doc.
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:32:20 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

lmao thats about all i use is the bread yeast easyer and cheaper to get alround here
#17 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:20:20 AM(UTC)

Dumped some bread yeast in the new ferment last night but think it was still a little too hot to catch. Expected it to be rollickingn this morn but it aint. Added another pinch or two of distillers yeast. Hopefully something will get cranked up.