logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline stephenkentucky  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 4:06:41 PM(UTC)
stephenkentucky

Groups: Registered

Here is a link to a video I have made to demystify the processes involved in making all grain whiskey at home... This is the first time I have attempted anything quite like this...It is done without any assistance..so you may find some mistakes...but I do try to be accurate....When I started making all grain whiskey I looked for guidance, while I found a lot of information on distilling at an industrial level...there was little about all grain at an amateur level...that is now changing as more people adopt all grain, I hope that this video helps to promote all grain as a viable alternative to HBS/turbo types who want to expand their horizons.
I would appreciate positive input to improve future videos....This is the first episode of two... this episode covers brewing the wash and fermentation...the next episode is on the two distillations and ageing.

http://youtu.be/xptvVFoZ_pE

Regards
Stephen
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 7:43:00 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Just found this. Great movie. Cant wait for episode two.

Originally Posted by: stephenkentucky Go to Quoted Post
Here is a link to a video I have made to demystify the processes involved in making all grain whiskey at home... This is the first time I have attempted anything quite like this...It is done without any assistance..so you may find some mistakes...but I do try to be accurate....When I started making all grain whiskey I looked for guidance, while I found a lot of information on distilling at an industrial level...there was little about all grain at an amateur level...that is now changing as more people adopt all grain, I hope that this video helps to promote all grain as a viable alternative to HBS/turbo types who want to expand their horizons.
I would appreciate positive input to improve future videos....This is the first episode of two... this episode covers brewing the wash and fermentation...the next episode is on the two distillations and ageing.

Regards
Stephen
Offline stephenkentucky  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 11:38:30 AM(UTC)
stephenkentucky

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Just found this. Great movie. Cant wait for episode two.

Thank you Bigwheel I hope to have the next episode out in about 2 weeks. I will post when it is on the web."
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:06:21 PM(UTC)

Sounds mighty good. Highly appreciate you efforts on the video. That splained a bunch of stuff of which has hitherto been a mystery trying to decipher what these drunken nut heads on here been talking about. Now since you using two different malts how can this be a single malt? That part was slightly over my head..thanks. Sure some are fixing to start sprouting corn and exposing it to Mesquite smoke maybe. Would that pass for Texas style peated malt? Suspect it would since we supposed to put our own zip code on the mash. Keep up the good work Sir. Looking to see you on TV soonish. Got any tips for sour mash types? Some only like Scotch when mixed with milk..or so I heard from this other guy.
Offline stephenkentucky  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:27:22 PM(UTC)
stephenkentucky

Hi Bigwheel single malt is used when describing a liquor derived from one run of grain..that is it is not blended...In Scotland all whisky's which are blends such as Dewars, Johnnie Walker, Black and White etc are usually blended with un-malted grain like wheat or corn from different runs supplied from different distillers...this makes the product smooth without much ageing but also has less flavour from the congeners... If you only use malted grain and do not blend with other whiskies you can call it Single Malt... the same would apply to your corn liquor ...so yes I see no reason you would not call it Single Malt... Also many single malt Scotch whisky's are from more than one style of malted barley... mostly pale ale and peated, as an all peated whisky is not to everyones taste...in days gone by almost all would have been peated only as this was the cheapest fuel for the malting fires...but tastes change over time...I hope that helps to explain a bit. let me know if that isn't clear...take care.
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 1:30:14 PM(UTC)

Well the whole scenario was very uplifting since my Daddy got to see the Firth or Fourth and the Firth of Fith back during the Big War whilst serving in the Army Air Corps. Dont even get me speaking of Noo Yawk City where it was determined he did not not know what language they was speaking or whut they was eating. Big Brudder who prob still stalking around Merry Olde England unless he has previously died of Old Age or something. He should be an old bald head fat guy who sweats a lot. Let us know thanks. Drive Careful if you happen to be over there. I love that English and Aussie beer which is mighty special. I have had a jug a Black and White which a pals wifey who come from Wales coughed up one time. You ever had a slug of Ezra? Its real tasty..lol.
Offline stephenkentucky  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 10:58:25 PM(UTC)
stephenkentucky

G'Day Bigwheel sorry to take some time getting back I was working... I don"t live in Great Britain ...I do however live in an area called New England in New South Wales Australia...My wife and I own and run a restaurant, vineyard/winery and brewery...out here in the remote country...so am a big fan of both British and Aussie beer. Where do you call home compadre.
Offline heeler  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 11:54:30 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"

Regards
Stephen

sk, I too will agree - most enjoyable video can't wait on #2. In this country we imploy alot of those techniques you used to produce -beer- at home as well with much success and the allgrain whiskey is just as fun and easy, as your description depicts. Thanks for sharing and make sure you check around the site for other easy recipes you might enjoy."
Offline stephenkentucky  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 19, 2012 5:52:12 AM(UTC)
stephenkentucky

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
sk, I too will agree - most enjoyable video can't wait on #2. In this country we imploy alot of those techniques you used to produce -beer- at home as well with much success and the allgrain whiskey is just as fun and easy, as your description depicts. Thanks for sharing and make sure you check around the site for other easy recipes you might enjoy.

Thank you for your kind welcome...it does not seem to matter where in the world we are,when you share the hobby of brewing and distilling...Ill keep my eyes out for the recipes...and hopefully contribute some in time.
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 19, 2012 6:15:07 AM(UTC)

Hey Mate..we are up in the DFW area of God's Country..Texas of course. That accent fooled me. I was guessing Scotland. Sounds like you bound to stay super busy with all the stuff you have going on. Do you ever go clowning around on the Aussie Distillers forum? Right nice bunch of blokes over there. In fact I took the liberty to post a link to your movie over there. Hope that was ok..blush blush. I bet they probably already done seen it. Just dont ask them about the guv'ment taking away all their shooting irons and the crime rate going crazy upward. They tend to bicker about it. Vaya Condios Amigo.

G'Day Bigwheel sorry to take some time getting back I was working... I don"t live in Great Britain ...I do however live in an area called New England in New South Wales Australia...My wife and I own and run a restaurant, vineyard/winery and brewery...out here in the remote country...so am a big fan of both British and Aussie beer. Where do you call home compadre.
Offline fatboylo  
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 19, 2012 6:30:35 AM(UTC)
fatboylo

Yepper, I enjojed the show as well........one small thing I'd note............better watch this one on the front end of your sipping..........that elevator music like to got me......lol I'm thinking AC/DC for those about to rock......lmao Very informative tho, I liked it!!!!!!Cool
Offline stephenkentucky  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:13:20 PM(UTC)
stephenkentucky

hi gentlemen sorry to take so long but I have finally finished the second Episode of the single Malt video you can see it here...
http://youtu.be/DY15-dG_hAY
thanks very much for your feedback and hope that this one is to your liking.
regards
Stephen
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:40:00 PM(UTC)

Thanks Mate. Been looking highly forward to episode two. Know we are going to be seeing you on the Telly real soon. If you happen to need a personal assistant body guard..beer or harem tender etc. I could be your man. I have some credentials. Can knock the eye out of a fly at a hundred yards shooting from the hip just to make it fair to the fly. Dont even get me started on the Eunuch detail. Let me know. Its also helpful to know which eye needs to get going downrange on the insects. Some of them critters have eyeballs which is mounted close together. Takes a .22 on some of the trick shots. Headed off to watch the movie as we speak. Let me know. G'day. PS Edit: The link do not seem to be clickable or capable of being copied and pasted into Google. Is it a wonder nobody hangs out on here too much?
Offline stephenkentucky  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:12:21 PM(UTC)
stephenkentucky

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Mate. Been looking highly forward to episode two. Know we are going to be seeing you on the Telly real soon. If you happen to need a personal assistant body guard..beer or harem tender etc. I could be your man. I have some credentials. Can knock the eye out of a fly at a hundred yards shooting from the hip just to make it fair to the fly. Dont even get me started on the Eunuch detail. Let me know. Its also helpful to know which eye needs to get going downrange on the insects. Some of them critters have eyeballs which is mounted close together. Takes a .22 on some of the trick shots. Headed off to watch the movie as we speak. Let me know. G'day. PS Edit: The link do not seem to be clickable or capable of being copied and pasted into Google. Is it a wonder nobody hangs out on here too much?

Sorry about the link Bigwheel I just went back into youtube and copied another ...hopefully this will work

http://youtu.be/DY15-dG_hAY

Oh and I am looking for a Harem Tender..all I got to do is get a harem first!
regards
Stephen"
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:21:36 AM(UTC)

Ok will try it again thanks. Hey I have nice cull pile you might like to work. Get that harem filled up quick..lol.
Offline stephenkentucky  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:11:15 AM(UTC)
stephenkentucky

Ok will try it again thanks. Hey I have nice cull pile you might like to work. Get that harem filled up quick..lol.
you are a very bad man....good though!
Offline heeler  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:09:05 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
When you guys watch the video look for the carbon filter tower in the background, its about 8 feet tall --- now thats a filter.
#18 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2012 7:42:15 AM(UTC)

Rut row..did not notice that. Our Aussie pal Stephen from KY? Might need some assistance on churning out some good hooch which do not require any steeken filters. Hmmm..:)
Offline stephenkentucky  
#19 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2012 10:07:14 AM(UTC)
stephenkentucky

Hey Big wheel theys fightin woyds...He He...naw you guys...you got it all wrong...what you see in the background are.: against the far wall 3 x 3500 liter (= 925US Gallons) variable capacity glycol Jacketed cone based tanks...these are used immediately after vintage to cold condition our white wines...the rest of the year I use them to store treated (Burtonised ) water which I use in the brewery...Our rainwater s too pure to get a really successful protein and starch conversion so we add micro nutrients and salts.in the middle ground were HDPE flextanks for ageing red wine especially our Shiraz..which is reasonably well known and has a strong following...it is unusual because when we make it ...immediately after the crush we throw out half the juice this concentrates the remaining juice onto the skins and creates a particularly rich Shiraz...My cooling tank is a 1000 liter italian Variable capacity tank...if there are any other questions just ask...But I assure you it has been quite a few years since any of my hooch has seen the black powder.
Hope that explains it...by the way it's a nice forum you guys have here...I like the sense of fun.
Take Care
Doc ( stephenkentucky )
#20 Posted : Saturday, September 01, 2012 6:43:19 AM(UTC)

Well thanks for the virtual tour of your operation. Thats getting purty fancy. Sorry about the too pure rain water issue. We might could swap you for some or our tap water. Its full of gas..oil..pesticides..feces etc. Sure it has plenty enough nutes to make beer..lol. Now we going to be needing some top secret recipes from your restaurant when you get a chance. Might even consider donating some grand prize winning Tex-Mex to your recipe file in return. That should make your Mates want to take their Sheilas to the Billabong. Or slap their Wallabys maybe..lol. Take care Sir!!